Superego +

Moderator: Ghost Hip

Re: Superego +

Postby oldangelmidnight » Tue Sep 19, 2017 6:24 am

I almost exclusively use what they're now calling the Sustain mode so I really like that the layer function can be expression controlled.
This seems interesting:
EHX wrote:You can also use a clock signal to trigger the Superego+ BYPASS function.
oldangelmidnight

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Inconuucl » Tue Sep 19, 2017 10:25 am

Eh, really just get a standard superego from the initial batch of people selling theirs to upgrade and then place a Bitquest on the loop, instant Superego+. :snax:

My ideal board has 3 Bitquests. One on a delay fx loop, one on a superego, and one free to roam my signal chain. :lol:
Le Ciel Inconnu (I was a whale once.)
NSFW: show
Chankgeez wrote:We should have a game show à la Name That Tune

Inconuucl: I can shoegaze that tune with 5 pedals.
other contestant: I can shoegaze that tune with 4 pedals.
Inconuucl: I can shoegaze that tune with 3 pedals.
other contestant: OK, shoegaze that tune!
Inconuucl: :!!!:
Inconuucl

Supporter
Supporter

Postby coldbrightsunlight » Tue Sep 19, 2017 11:33 am

Inconuucl wrote:Eh, really just get a standard superego from the initial batch of people selling theirs to upgrade and then place a Bitquest on the loop, instant Superego+. :snax:

My ideal board has 3 Bitquests. One on a delay fx loop, one on a superego, and one free to roam my signal chain. :lol:

Thing is is that only does the one bit of the superego+ I don't care about which is effects. It's only the freeze function improvements I want and I'd much rather they just did that in a smaller box than this..
füzz lover. Friend. Quilter evangelist.

I make music sometimes:

https://nitrx.bandcamp.com/

https://mediocrisy.bandcamp.com/

https://fleshcouch.bandcamp.com
coldbrightsunlight

Supporter
Supporter

Postby Faldoe » Wed Sep 20, 2017 3:32 pm

I like it has the exp. pedal gliss control like the HOG. And that it has a filter. Those were my two favorite things about the HOG. I also wanted to have effects at times with my Freeze and having the effects with the SE+ is nice.

I agree that the Rupert demo was underwhelming.
Faldoe

Postby spacelordmother » Wed Sep 20, 2017 3:55 pm

I wanted to love the Superego, and took it as a given that I would -- but I don't. Gliss and the auto envelope controls do nothing for me, and the layer is annoying because you can't undo.

I use 2 freezes in a feedback loop -- one set sustain and the other to slow. Perfect.
spacelordmother

HERO
HERO

Postby Faldoe » Wed Sep 20, 2017 4:46 pm

spacelordmother wrote:I wanted to love the Superego, and took it as a given that I would -- but I don't. Gliss and the auto envelope controls do nothing for me, and the layer is annoying because you can't undo.

I use 2 freezes in a feedback loop -- one set sustain and the other to slow. Perfect.

Simplicity is easily overlooked. I also had a SE and didn't really care for it. Like I said, I like to control the Gliss with an exp. pedal like on the HOG.

I have a Freeze and think it's great cause it isn't an expensive pedal and not one I use often. I have a hard time spending a lot on a pedal unless it does a lot of different things well or I'm going to use it often. Otherwise I feel compelled to use the pedal often to justify the price. With the Freeze I use it sparingly and it's perfect when I need it. Still interested in the SE+ for the Gliss. I have a POG V1 that is getting repaired so I'd have all the options of the HOG, for the most part and then some.
Faldoe

Postby oscillofuzz » Thu Sep 21, 2017 5:46 pm

I feel like this could scratch a very particular itch I've been having lately. I've grown bored of having 'only' a phaser on my board for modulation, but also don't really want to use up more board space/money for flange/trem/vibe pedals that I only use subtly and sparsely, since I don't compose with modulation in mind. Contrary to how I use most of my pitch shifting or delay or stutter/glitch fx, mod fx really just are a sauce to spice up certain riffs or motifs (except for ring mods). Obviously in a studio setting I want high quality and/or quirky, preferably analog, boutique but in a live sitch I just don't think I'd really hear the difference while the full band is roaring.

That swiss-army-knife-of-modulation, plus the whole Freeze-on-steroids side with footswitchable modes could mean $250 well spent. I hope EU price is similar.
The Howl Ensemble - Bandcamp - Facebook - Instagram - Soundcloud -
oscillofuzz

committed
committed

Postby Jwar » Thu Sep 21, 2017 6:06 pm

Faldoe wrote:I like it has the exp. pedal gliss control like the HOG. And that it has a filter. Those were my two favorite things about the HOG. I also wanted to have effects at times with my Freeze and having the effects with the SE+ is nice.

I agree that the Rupert demo was underwhelming.

These are exactly my thoughts. It reminded me of the Hog, without having to have the enormous bastard.

I think it'd be cool if EHX offered something like this but with a more obvious digit interface like the 500 series from Boss.
"I do not have the ability to think rationally 90% of the time and I also change my mind at the drop of a hat".

-JWAR :)
Jwar

Cosmic of BILF
Cosmic of BILF

Postby bigguitartone » Sun Sep 24, 2017 8:28 pm

moid wrote:I wonder if it will have an issue with input volume - none of my guitars can trigger my Super ego into doing it's thing; I have to run them through a clean boost first (and then it's fine)... or maybe that's just my guitars?

Could that be a buffer issue? Some pedals seem to act weird without (sometimes specific) buffers. My amp's parallel effects loop affects certain pedals like this and I usually put in a clean boost as a buffer to fix it.
bigguitartone

interested
interested

Postby The Eristic » Fri Nov 17, 2017 1:12 am

Picked mine up today. The Attack/Decay controls were exactly what the SE needed, and it's definitely easier to trigger with the Threshold control up. It does seem to have a slightly different sound quality compared to my original, though. Going to put them side to side and see if I can dial them in identically.

Also, most of the built-in FX are perfectly ok but nothing special, as expected, but a couple of them interact with the new controls in really interesting ways. It does surprisingly convincing bowed sounds with the Pitch shifted down and the Attack pulled back. Can also pull off a faux reverse delay of sorts.
Check out my live guitar streams @ http://www.twitch.tv/the_eristic!
The Eristic

experienced
experienced

Postby oldangelmidnight » Fri Nov 17, 2017 7:28 am

That's very promising, thanks for sharing. Have you tried anything in the loop? I'm wondering how envelope-sensitive effects will react to changes in attack settings.
After the bad vibes around the Infinite Jets, I want one of these more and more.
oldangelmidnight

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby coldbrightsunlight » Fri Nov 17, 2017 8:51 am

Very interesting! Sounds fun to play around with one at least.

^ what bad vibes were there? All I remember seeing is crazy hype.
füzz lover. Friend. Quilter evangelist.

I make music sometimes:

https://nitrx.bandcamp.com/

https://mediocrisy.bandcamp.com/

https://fleshcouch.bandcamp.com
coldbrightsunlight

Supporter
Supporter

Postby The Eristic » Sat Nov 18, 2017 9:22 pm

oldangelmidnight wrote:That's very promising, thanks for sharing. Have you tried anything in the loop? I'm wondering how envelope-sensitive effects will react to changes in attack settings.

Just starting to really dig into it tonight. Will report back on loop stuffs after some more messing about.

It is definitely not as full sounding on its own as the original SE at roughly the same settings, which is good and bad, I suppose. Its character is decidedly more spacious and ambient before you add in the effects, in exchange for some noticeable presence and body. The original has a small, fattening boost with Dry maxed, as well, which is a hair less pronounced but also less colored and more open with the +.

Main complaint so far is that Threshold all the way down doesn't completely prevent new notes from being sampled. I have a super light touch and it still grabs the occasional unintended note in Auto mode, particularly on the high E. Still, it's much more consistent and controllable than the original. I mostly play in Latch, too, so I guess it's not a big deal.
Check out my live guitar streams @ http://www.twitch.tv/the_eristic!
The Eristic

experienced
experienced

Postby oldangelmidnight » Sat Nov 18, 2017 11:21 pm

coldbrightsunlight wrote:Very interesting! Sounds fun to play around with one at least.

^ what bad vibes were there? All I remember seeing is crazy hype.

Starts around here: viewtopic.php?f=149&t=55325&start=255#p1263062
oldangelmidnight

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Bartimaeus » Sun Nov 19, 2017 12:19 am

The Eristic wrote:It is definitely not as full sounding on its own as the original SE at roughly the same settings, which is good and bad, I suppose. Its character is decidedly more spacious and ambient before you add in the effects, in exchange for some noticeable presence and body. The original has a small, fattening boost with Dry maxed, as well, which is a hair less pronounced but also less colored and more open with the +.

Interesting. Have you tried the Freeze? I love it because it's pretty clear, and have stayed away from the Superego because it seems too colored at every setting. I'd be tempted by the SE+ if its base tone is closer to the Freeze.
Bartimaeus

experienced
experienced

PreviousNext

Return to General Gear