Superego +

Moderators: Ghost Hip, metalmariachi

Re: Superego +

Postby frodog » Thu Jan 11, 2018 11:03 am

Having played in a "band" for years where the other guitarist uses a Superego a lot, I can confidently say it's shit in that context. Hate the sound, hate the (lack of) dynamics, it's like having a tasteless savant keyboardist following the guitars slavishly but only ever using one or two presets on his Casio. Actually, I think that would be better.
frodog

experienced
experienced

Postby manymanyhaha » Thu Jan 11, 2018 11:13 am

Just finally got to play with one. It's much easier to trigger and doesn't disappear like the SE.
manymanyhaha

committed
committed

Postby oldangelmidnight » Fri Jan 12, 2018 6:49 pm

frodog wrote:Having played in a "band" for years where the other guitarist uses a Superego a lot, I can confidently say it's shit in that context. Hate the sound, hate the (lack of) dynamics, it's like having a tasteless savant keyboardist following the guitars slavishly but only ever using one or two presets on his Casio. Actually, I think that would be better.

Sounds like that person wasn't using it particularly tactfully. I like to think of it as a modern alternative to droning folk instruments like fiddles and accordions. Seems like the new one will add more options for dynamic playing.
oldangelmidnight

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby coldbrightsunlight » Sat Jan 13, 2018 5:00 am

Yeah, I use mine in my band for occasional drones and have had no complaints :idk:
Good deals with: AngryGoldfish, Officer Bukowski, casterbro, amnesiac305, Achtane, Snufkino, Tom Dalton, DarkAxel, JamesSGBrown, casperh7, Tristan, intothegroove, Gigahearts_FX, alalalkasar, nightterrors, Schlatte, Dandolin, jskadiang

some Swedish dude wrote:Hitler is #1 soy duck
coldbrightsunlight

Supporter
Supporter

Postby frodog » Sat Jan 13, 2018 11:28 am

I can imagine it working in some contexts, used subtly/occasionally... but using it like a reverb, in an already dense mix where frequencies are fighting for space, is just superfluous+
frodog

experienced
experienced

Postby coldbrightsunlight » Sat Jan 13, 2018 12:28 pm

:lol:

I see what you did there.

Yeah I totally get what you mean, it being on constantly is probably too much. I just use it for drone notes that blend into each other occasionally which is a sound I love. Only in like 1 song and the odd jam though, definitely not that often.
Good deals with: AngryGoldfish, Officer Bukowski, casterbro, amnesiac305, Achtane, Snufkino, Tom Dalton, DarkAxel, JamesSGBrown, casperh7, Tristan, intothegroove, Gigahearts_FX, alalalkasar, nightterrors, Schlatte, Dandolin, jskadiang

some Swedish dude wrote:Hitler is #1 soy duck
coldbrightsunlight

Supporter
Supporter

Postby zoooombiex » Mon Jan 15, 2018 3:23 pm

The Eristic wrote:
gila_crisis wrote:What woul dbe cool to see is the normal SuperEgo pimped with the envelope control section of the SE+ but without the effect section. that would be awesome!

I've had it for a while now, and I'd trade the FX section in a heartbeat for some kind of internal gain control and a filter section. The built-in effects are basically all too limited and mostly sound kinda insubstantial to me. :idk: Something like POG/Holiest Grail Input Gain and maybe like the Microsynth or HOG filter section would really round out the synthy vibes, imo.

Yeah, it would have been nice to have a filter with an LFO. I've been using the flange and phaser set VERY slow to get moving filter type sounds. Phaser set full CCW, or flange set to about 9-10:00
zoooombiex

committed
committed

Postby tremolo3 » Mon Jan 15, 2018 3:44 pm

frodog wrote:Having played in a "band" for years where the other guitarist uses a Superego a lot, I can confidently say it's shit in that context. Hate the sound, hate the (lack of) dynamics, it's like having a tasteless savant keyboardist following the guitars slavishly but only ever using one or two presets on his Casio. Actually, I think that would be better.

You should have keep it down (see my sig) or just play experimental music. :idk:
John wrote:"guys play quiet, listen to my small costly device."

PumpkinPieces wrote:Fer shoogaze

tuffteef wrote:all you need is a big muff and feelings
tremolo3

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby frodog » Mon Jan 15, 2018 4:14 pm

Uh, I don't know what you mean. Quiet experimental music like not blues? :wha?: :lol: :excellent: :trippy:
frodog

experienced
experienced

Postby tremolo3 » Mon Jan 15, 2018 4:26 pm

Solo drone folk act with 30+ pedals to make Casiotone sounds. :cry:
John wrote:"guys play quiet, listen to my small costly device."

PumpkinPieces wrote:Fer shoogaze

tuffteef wrote:all you need is a big muff and feelings
tremolo3

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby frodog » Tue Jan 16, 2018 1:39 pm

I already own a Casiotone 202, so that would be very redundant. :cool:

Don't think I want to be a folkier Casiotone for the Painfully Alone. But maybe that + Superego would make me transcend? Atm it feels more like a musical anchor.
frodog

experienced
experienced

Previous

Return to General Gear