Pedlol to beef up a ss amp?



Moderators: Ghost Hip, metalmariachi

Pedlol to beef up a ss amp?

Postby frigid midget » Fri Sep 01, 2017 1:29 pm

I may let go of this whole idea unless there's an easy option that gives stellar results for little monies. So I'm aware this is a long shot. Figured if *anyone* knows, it's mah ilf breaux :cool:

The whole point of replacing my tube combo with a ss combo to mess with at home, was to end up with a little pocket money. So it wouldn't make a lot of sense to spend all the money I saved -and maybe more- on a pedal that's supposed to make the ss combo sound like my old tube combo :facepalm:

Still though, worth a shot...

So does anyone know of any preamp/sansamp type of clone I could use to beef up my Sunn Alpha 112r? I rarely play clean, so something that adds a little (or a lot) of distortion gets bonus points. My experience with cheap tube overdrives is that the tube doesn't really add any magic tube mojo, the ones I tried didn't sound noticeable better than similarly priced ss drive peds :idk: Or is there anything in particular I should give a try?

The sunn doesn't sound as shrill and thin like you'd expect from an old small ss combo, it's actually not half bad. Still, I kinda miss the spongy attack of a tube amp, and the...well, "warmth', for a lack of a more original term :facepalm:
univalve wrote:The fuzz pedlols fuck everything up...
frigid midget

FAMOUS
FAMOUS
 
Posts: 1996
Joined: Mon Apr 21, 2014 6:31 pm

Re: Pedlol to beef up a ss amp?

Postby DRodriguez » Fri Sep 01, 2017 1:34 pm

This may sound counter intuitive, but have you tried a compressor at the end of your chain? Or something always on and simple like a EP booster at unity or a Fairfield Modèle B
DRodriguez

User avatar
IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS
 
Posts: 3089
Joined: Thu Apr 09, 2015 1:40 pm
Location: Brooklyn

Re: Pedlol to beef up a ss amp?

Postby frigid midget » Fri Sep 01, 2017 1:42 pm

DRodriguez wrote:This may sound counter intuitive, but have you tried a compressor at the end of your chain? Or something always on and simple like a EP booster at unity or a Fairfield Modèle B


I actually haven't experimented a whole lot yet, there's a couple pedals in my arsenal that are worth trying. I've got a compressor, an eq, and ofcourse a bunch of dirt peds. It didn't occur to me that they might be of any help here, but I guess they're worth a try.
univalve wrote:The fuzz pedlols fuck everything up...
frigid midget

FAMOUS
FAMOUS
 
Posts: 1996
Joined: Mon Apr 21, 2014 6:31 pm

Re: Pedlol to beef up a ss amp?

Postby Chankgeez » Fri Sep 01, 2017 1:46 pm

I agree with DRod.

Maybe try something like a DOD 250 at the end of your chain.

Or a bigger SS amp? :snax:
Alice: balls have a ball to me to me to me to me to me to me to me to me
"You can't copyright circuits really." - Ed Sanner …………….0.............
"The effects market was really nothing more than a bunch of beggars and theives, all building off one another's work." - Dan Armstrong…...........................…
Sweet dealin's: here

"Vibraphones are like blowjobs; everyone wants one, but the good ones are cost-prohibitive."- Ugly Nora
Chankgeez

User avatar
IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS
 
Posts: 30582
Joined: Tue Oct 11, 2011 1:40 am

Re: Pedlol to beef up a ss amp?

Postby BoatRich » Fri Sep 01, 2017 2:00 pm

A BiFet boost will do that all day and add a bit of grit. If not, a Black Forest? I loved mine as an always on sorta deal.
BoatRich

User avatar
FAMOUS
FAMOUS
 
Posts: 1977
Joined: Wed Mar 26, 2014 2:58 pm
Location: Northern VA/DC

Re: Pedlol to beef up a ss amp?

Postby frigid midget » Fri Sep 01, 2017 3:00 pm

BoatRich wrote:A BiFet boost will do that all day and add a bit of grit. If not, a Black Forest? I loved mine as an always on sorta deal.


I had a black forest for a while, used it with a Marshall superbass at the time. Might've just been a bad match up with the Marshall, but the BF sounded scratchy and lo-fi to me, pretty much the opposite of bassy/thick. Seemed like the perfect choice for garage rock or shoegaze. Again, I suck at describing sounds :facepalm:

Bifet boost: One of those lesser known classics that've always stayed under my radar. How hard are they to find?
univalve wrote:The fuzz pedlols fuck everything up...
frigid midget

FAMOUS
FAMOUS
 
Posts: 1996
Joined: Mon Apr 21, 2014 6:31 pm

Re: Pedlol to beef up a ss amp?

Postby repoman » Fri Sep 01, 2017 3:24 pm

What about one of those doubletracker pedals like the keeley or strymon deco?

Theres also a bunch of console pre-amp pedals that might be good for this like the hudson broadcast
When you turn the knob, it does not sound bad. 
repoman

User avatar
FAMOUS
FAMOUS
 
Posts: 1315
Joined: Sat Sep 26, 2015 3:16 pm
Location: Edge City

Re: Pedlol to beef up a ss amp?

Postby $harkToootth » Fri Sep 01, 2017 3:34 pm

A Boss OD-3 can be had for $50...I like that pedal...not even "for the price", I just like it.

EDIT: I'm retarded. I have the SD-1. That's the one I like. It can be had for a whole $29. I'm sure you can find one for $22 :yay:.
"Patty Mullen takes me from a ball peen to a sledge" -The Great Velvet Hammer
"I was playing guitar a minute ago and had to take a shit...kinda bummned out cuz I was trying to get this super awesome riff down, now I'm just holdin my penis down readin this crap" -comesect2.0
$harkToootth

User avatar
IAMILF
IAMILF
 
Posts: 2541
Joined: Fri May 06, 2016 3:28 pm
Location: Party Mango

Re: Pedlol to beef up a ss amp?

Postby tremolo3 » Fri Sep 01, 2017 3:59 pm

$harkToootth wrote:A Boss OD-3 can be had for $50...I like that pedal...not even "for the price", I just like it.

EDIT: I'm retarded. I have the SD-1. That's the one I like. It can be had for a whole $29. I'm sure you can find one for $22 :yay:.


OD-3 with the gain set fairly low brings my boring clean amps from, well, boring, to :omg: status.
John wrote:"guys play quiet, listen to my small costly device."


PumpkinPieces wrote:Fer shoogaze

tuffteef wrote:all you need is a big muff and feelings
tremolo3

User avatar
FAMOUS
FAMOUS
 
Posts: 1832
Joined: Mon Apr 28, 2014 1:09 am
Location: Tijuana

Re: Pedlol to beef up a ss amp?

Postby JonnyAngle » Fri Sep 01, 2017 4:10 pm

I would recommend:
ssbs mini
fairfield barbershop (same as modele B)
super hard on boost
ep booster (drod said)
JonnyAngle

User avatar
IAMILF
IAMILF
 
Posts: 2920
Joined: Wed Feb 25, 2015 11:35 am
Location: Maple Grove, MN

Re: Pedlol to beef up a ss amp?

Postby BoatRich » Fri Sep 01, 2017 5:27 pm

frigid midget wrote:
BoatRich wrote:A BiFet boost will do that all day and add a bit of grit. If not, a Black Forest? I loved mine as an always on sorta deal.


I had a black forest for a while, used it with a Marshall superbass at the time. Might've just been a bad match up with the Marshall, but the BF sounded scratchy and lo-fi to me, pretty much the opposite of bassy/thick. Seemed like the perfect choice for garage rock or shoegaze. Again, I suck at describing sounds :facepalm:

Bifet boost: One of those lesser known classics that've always stayed under my radar. How hard are they to find?

Mine was super bass heavy with my plexi? That's kinda weird?

BiFets are easy to find, easy to build, and the reissue is pretty dead on and cheap
BoatRich

User avatar
FAMOUS
FAMOUS
 
Posts: 1977
Joined: Wed Mar 26, 2014 2:58 pm
Location: Northern VA/DC

Re: Pedlol to beef up a ss amp?

Postby frigid midget » Fri Sep 01, 2017 5:30 pm

repoman wrote:What about one of those doubletracker pedals like the keeley or strymon deco?

Theres also a bunch of console pre-amp pedals that might be good for this like the hudson broadcast


Thanks. I might've been too subtle in the way I hinted I don't wanna spend as much as my litte amp is worth :thumb:
univalve wrote:The fuzz pedlols fuck everything up...
frigid midget

FAMOUS
FAMOUS
 
Posts: 1996
Joined: Mon Apr 21, 2014 6:31 pm

Re: Pedlol to beef up a ss amp?

Postby frigid midget » Fri Sep 01, 2017 5:38 pm

BoatRich wrote:
frigid midget wrote:
BoatRich wrote:A BiFet boost will do that all day and add a bit of grit. If not, a Black Forest? I loved mine as an always on sorta deal.


I had a black forest for a while, used it with a Marshall superbass at the time. Might've just been a bad match up with the Marshall, but the BF sounded scratchy and lo-fi to me, pretty much the opposite of bassy/thick. Seemed like the perfect choice for garage rock or shoegaze. Again, I suck at describing sounds :facepalm:

Bifet boost: One of those lesser known classics that've always stayed under my radar. How hard are they to find?

Mine was super bass heavy with my plexi? That's kinda weird?

BiFets are easy to find, easy to build, and the reissue is pretty dead on and cheap


Yeah, my experience with the BF is the opposite of pretty much every single comment or review I read about it online. I doubt mine was broken in any way, and the particular guitars I used were just regular teles and jazzmasters, so...:idk: I guess I could chalk it down to user error, not giving it enough time before flipping it...:idk:

Is the dod bifet preamp still in production? Either it isn't, or the whole stock is sold in Europe :idk:
Either way, I'll keep my eyes open for a used one, I kinda have a thing for no-nonsense small drive pedals like that :cool:
univalve wrote:The fuzz pedlols fuck everything up...
frigid midget

FAMOUS
FAMOUS
 
Posts: 1996
Joined: Mon Apr 21, 2014 6:31 pm

Re: Pedlol to beef up a ss amp?

Postby The Eristic » Fri Sep 01, 2017 5:41 pm

This will tube your shit right up. The low end is pretty big and fat and you can adjust the bias to make everything really saggy and squishy. Goes from clean boost to pretty gnarly high gain fuzz. https://reverb.com/item/3648022-rare-fr ... ects-pedal

Most of the EHX tube pedals do a good job of tubifying, too.
The Eristic

User avatar
committed
committed
 
Posts: 328
Joined: Sat Oct 03, 2009 2:48 am
Location: Cartersville, GA

Re: Pedlol to beef up a ss amp?

Postby frigid midget » Fri Sep 01, 2017 5:58 pm

Oh, and I like the OD-3 and SD-1 suggestions. Boss is the shit.
But I'm kinda sceptic though, I'm not sure any boss overdrive could do much for me that my harmonic percolator or even HM-2 couldn't do :idk:
I should probably start by messing with with I have instead of letting my GAS make silly decisions for me :)
univalve wrote:The fuzz pedlols fuck everything up...
frigid midget

FAMOUS
FAMOUS
 
Posts: 1996
Joined: Mon Apr 21, 2014 6:31 pm

Next

Return to General Gear



Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], Google [Bot], MrNovember, ritz, Toropicana and 17 guests


Sponsored Ad. (Please no inflated/repetitive clicking. Thanks!)

Advertisements help support ILF


ilovefuzz.com is not responsible for user-submitted content. Users participate at their own discretion and risk.