planning a small pedal board for bass

Moderator: Ghost Hip

Re: planning a small pedal board for bass

Postby Mudfuzz » Sat Aug 19, 2017 4:11 pm

actualidiot wrote:
Mudfuzz wrote:It really doesn't matter. The idea of open or closed minded when it comes to the tools you work with is stupid on both sides.
Get get what you need to do the job you need. If you need a lot of sounds because that is what is required for what you are playing. do that.
If all you need is a fucking chord. do that.

It's not the tools, it's the application of the tools and the hating on people who aren't stuck in the past.

I see anyone judging other's character based on tool use silly and pointless. And letting someone else's issue about it drag you into that way of thinking drags you right there with them into the past. sorry but it's only pedals guys..
Mudfuzz

HERO
HERO

Postby actual » Sat Aug 19, 2017 4:15 pm

Nah, I'm still right here homie. Just real tired of that shit.
Mixing and mastering? Makeshift Audio
actual

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby agiant » Sat Aug 19, 2017 4:22 pm

hm2 > superfuzz clone > rusty box
agiant

committed
committed

Postby PeteeBee » Sat Aug 19, 2017 4:23 pm

I am the happiest bass camper with tuner> mini > muff (I love a baby thunder/ECT). I'd put on a simple delay, I like the disaster transport junior for bass, and I'd be happy forever. I'm not primarily a bass player but those pedals let me do everything creatively that I want to.
Iommic Pope wrote:This is the best you've been.
Suffering suits you.

BitchPudding wrote:Let this be written in our history as proof that ILoveFuzz is one tight knit internet family.
PeteeBee

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby rustywire » Sat Aug 19, 2017 5:19 pm

2 pedals.
1-Compressor. Especially if you play with fingers even only some of the time. Use it after your dirt for a bass-beefing boost as well :animal:
It tightens up the bottom while rounding it out... generally why I dont care for compressors with guitar [other than real deal 1176]
2-Meatbox. Because sometimes you need to show suckas you mean business.

This *dilemma* of yours is similar to what lead me to assemble the current bass board.
HP+Ruetz Rat > Effectrode comp > SB7 Synth Bass > BitQuest > Effectrode phaser > DMM.
I want to acquire Boss vb-2w and a Meatbox; will likely swap out sb7 and phaser to add them.
The phase-o-matic is going back in the electronic/tabletop setup. SB7 might stay in the bass rig, idk
[B/S/T shoutouts] Shortlist: Hollow Earth|Ct5|856|Condor|Thermae|OP-1|half track reel2reel|Prophet6 ... :whoa:
rfurtkamp wrote:The only transparent thing I own is a set of drinking glasses.
rustywire

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby lost in music » Sat Aug 19, 2017 8:32 pm

And no one wants to hear some wanker with his 5 envelope filters into a bass synth into a HPF/LPF with expression pedal input into a modulated reverb into a modulated delay.

If this is your shit follow your dream. I would love to have all this shit and I'd make those filters work in the context of a song. My board is pretty small and conservative at the moment too though. I have three pedals and a tuner on it, but for the past couple weeks I've only been using one of those.
This is a very impressive collection of Roto Toms. That's 21 Roto Toms in all. That is only $33.00 a Roto Tom.
lost in music

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Location: Sorry but you cannot use search at this time. Please try again in a few minutes.

Postby nshuman » Sat Aug 19, 2017 8:34 pm

I have a couple of LHPF (LPF/HPF) units. It was a great investment of multiple 22$.
nshuman

experienced
experienced

Postby frodog » Sat Aug 19, 2017 9:06 pm

I am also planning to forge a small pedalboard for bass, by smelting 100 Metalzones, and I will put whatever the hell I want on it! All boutique!

Really I have been thinking about this a while, but only using the modest overflow I have/will have. Probably won't include an envelope filter but anything's possible. I want to keep it 6 pedals or less.
frodog

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby waltdogg » Sat Aug 19, 2017 10:18 pm

this has been ten times more entertaining than as informative as i thought it'd be.

then again it's been very informative as to who's a dick and who isn't at least. :snax:
D.o.S. wrote:Why do people eat steak that shit is gross

behndy wrote:lol. she thinks Brazil is wayyyy too unsafe. but i got PLANS.

MechaGodzilla wrote:man, fuck those big neutrik plugs
waltdogg

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Chankgeez » Sat Aug 19, 2017 10:22 pm

I'm attempting to cockblock my dickiness. :D
psychic vampire. wrote:The important take away from this thread: Taoism and Ring Modulators go together?
…...........................…
Sweet dealin's: here
"Now, of course, Strega is not a Minimoog… and I am not Sun Ra" - dude from MAKENOISE
#GreenRinger
Chankgeez

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Location: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FGhbeHujNZQ youtube.com/watch?v=V-2l7kkBURc

Postby waltdogg » Sat Aug 19, 2017 11:07 pm

in all seriousness. thanks for everyone who's given an honest opinion.

that was a good point earlier about the compressor but i play with a pick.

i think i will just get a second ct5 and leave in in mode 3 for a nonsense generator between songs. like i already do with the one on my guitar board.

fuck/mini > tuner > (maybe) ct5. still gonna need to buy the board and a power supply. luckily i have a few dirts to choose from and an extra tuner pedal to get started.

waltdogg

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby JonnyAngle » Sun Aug 20, 2017 8:53 am

What kind of music are you playing?
JonnyAngle

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby waltdogg » Sun Aug 20, 2017 12:37 pm

JonnyAngle wrote:What kind of music are you playing?

totally forgot to mention in the first post. you get 10 points for asking a useful question :p

hardcore and/or skramz, maybe doom agaim, and maybe some punk 'n' roll.

waltdogg

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Chankgeez » Sun Aug 20, 2017 12:46 pm

Incidentally, "Doom A Gain" would be a good name for a Doom Revival band. :doom:

(DAG, yo!)
psychic vampire. wrote:The important take away from this thread: Taoism and Ring Modulators go together?
…...........................…
Sweet dealin's: here
"Now, of course, Strega is not a Minimoog… and I am not Sun Ra" - dude from MAKENOISE
#GreenRinger
Chankgeez

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Location: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FGhbeHujNZQ youtube.com/watch?v=V-2l7kkBURc

Postby PanicProne » Sun Aug 20, 2017 1:41 pm

Started out bassing as a "live member" with a tuner, bass bb preamp (borrowed from the guitarist/main songwriter of the group, also he kinda wanted that sound, actually played on his bass too btw, good sounding pedal though) and an m9 for looping and synth+reverb wank in between songs. This was for sort of a noise rock/grunge/stoner/sludge band.

I then moved on to another more hardcore-ish emo but slighlt post-rocky thing thing.
Did the first tour with tuner, fuzzrocious cat tail as main dirt/sound (LOVE this pedal, would deffo recommend it for hardcore stuff!), dwarfcraft eau claire thunder for the heavy sludgy bits and a fromel shape EQ (always on) on the end. Upsized from the pt mini to a jr for the second tour by adding my micro pog, subdecay prometheus, bitquest, ibanez de-7 and a ditto x2. The prometheus only used for like 10-15seconds of the set and the bitquest and loop mainly for the intro and song transitions/noise.

So. For a small rig I'd go Tuner, Cat Tail, ECT (can't stop laughing when I use it on bass cause it feels so heavy). That covers A LOT of ground distortion wise. De-7 is brilliant for bass imo if you want a basic delay, descrete or louder in the mix. Bitquest, as mentioned, is just perfect for that extra something on the board if you want it.
Last edited by PanicProne on Sun Aug 20, 2017 3:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PanicProne

experienced
experienced

PreviousNext

Return to General Gear