Mixers

Moderator: Ghost Hip

Mixers

Postby BoatRich » Wed Jun 21, 2017 10:27 pm

I need a new mixer for my table top rig, preferably 8-12 channels, enough ins and outs for feedback loops, and an EQ. I don't really care about built in effects, but I guess overall reverb would be cool.

Analog is also preferred, and I'd probably end up using it for recording as well.

I have a Behringer right now, and it's cool but the preamps sound like shit for anything other than noise and it breaks up too early with a hot signal.
BoatRich

IAMILF
IAMILF

Re: Mixers

Postby actual » Wed Jun 21, 2017 10:29 pm

What's the price range and when you say using it for recording, do you mean as a USB interface, do you want direct outs or will you be recording from the stereo out?
Mixing and mastering? Makeshift Audio
actual

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby BoatRich » Wed Jun 21, 2017 10:44 pm

actualidiot wrote:What's the price range and when you say using it for recording, do you mean as a USB interface, do you want direct outs or will you be recording from the stereo out?

I'll be recording from the stereo outs into my interface and using it live. I like the tactile thing with knobs and switches.

Oh and under 200 now
BoatRich

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby actual » Thu Jun 22, 2017 2:05 am

I used to own a Mackie ProFX8 mk1, it croked on me after a couple of years, but up until then it was pretty great for what it was. The ProFX8v2 is exactly 200$. I know that Perfect Circuit use the Mackie VLZ's in-store for their synths and stuff.

If you want to go a bit more old school, then I'd suggest an old Boss mixer. I use a Boss KM-60, it only has 6 mono inputs, but each of them has an effects loop on top of the master loop, and the overdrive you can achieve with it is quite nice. No actual gain on the channels, but you can easily use a dynamic mic or plug a guitar/bass into it. The overall sound of this mixer is also just really nice, at least to me. They also did a BX line of mixers, which is apparently highly regarded in techno circles for the crunch you can get with them. The BX-8 has 8 channels and 2 effects loops.
Mixing and mastering? Makeshift Audio
actual

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby Derelict78 » Sat Jun 24, 2017 7:03 am

aen wrote:Or I'll just use fuzz. Then Ill sound cool regardless.

Achtane wrote:Well, volcanoes are pretty fuckin' cool. Like I guess lava flows are doomy. Slow and still able to to melt your eardrums.
Derelict78

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby JonnyAngle » Sat Jun 24, 2017 7:23 am

I use the mackie vlz3's exclusively. I think I paid like $120 for my 8 channel. It's not the latest and greatest, but it works great and no issues.
JonnyAngle

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby zoooombiex » Tue Jul 04, 2017 9:06 pm

Not positive it would be under 200, but Allen & Heath zed units are very dependable and sound great. They come up used often so if you look around you might be able to snag one pretty close to your budget
zoooombiex

Fantasian of BILF
Fantasian of BILF

Postby lordgalvar » Tue Jul 04, 2017 9:39 pm

JonnyAngle wrote:I use the mackie vlz3's exclusively. I think I paid like $120 for my 8 channel. It's not the latest and greatest, but it works great and no issues.

Yeah, I like my old vlz1202 (I think that's the number). Works well enough in a lot of situations. Think I got it for around $100 with shipping. (Older are generally better on Mackie from what I hear).

Old Tapco are good too.
-Ring Mods!
"I make you chocolate"
    -comesect69-via-Majin Buu-by-way-of-Dirge/mtl.asm and special consideration from CA Anderton
lordgalvar

Supporter
Supporter

Postby John » Wed Jul 05, 2017 1:41 am

friendship wrote:death to false bleep-blop
John

IAMILF
IAMILF

Return to General Gear