Teach me about multitrack cassette recorders

Moderator: Ghost Hip

Teach me about multitrack cassette recorders

Postby MrNovember » Sat May 27, 2017 6:25 pm

I've always wanted to mess with a cassette recorder, but I don't really know where to start. I want to do the whole record a different drone/note on different channels thing. I know aen posted a recent blog post about this, so I have a bit of an idea where to start. Any other general tips, tricks, things to remember/avoid?

Also there are two Fostex 280s for sale close to me. One is $100CAN, the other is $230CAN. Anyone have experience with this thing? Obviously, I'd go for the cheaper option, but if it's no longer available is $230CAN reasonable?
MrNovember

Modulae of BILF
Modulae of BILF

Re: Teach me about multitrack cassette recorders

Postby weed_killer » Sat May 27, 2017 6:43 pm

I'm not familiar with the 280, but looking it online it might be overkill if you're just getting into them. $230 seems too expensive to me, but I generally wouldn't pay more than $150 for a cassette deck. I have a Fostex x-12, which is pretty basic - 4 channels, 4 pan pots, one input, headphone, rca dual outs. It serves me well for most of what I do, although I am looking to pick up a Yamaha model with rca outputs for each channel so I can transfer all the old 4-track tapes I made on a Tascam portastudio when I was younger. The only big 'tip' is to make sure the belts are ok on a deck, because if not you'll have to get them replaced before you can even use it - most 4-tracks are pretty recent vintage compared to stereo tape decks, but if it hasn't been used in a while it could still be a possibility - replacing belts isn't expensive, but it's still money.

If you're looking to do drone stuff, you want to make some loop tapes, where you get a junk tape and rip it apart, then cut a section to the proper length and splice it with scotch tape - I used to spend hours making them, trying to get the tension just right, but it's worth it imo. You can also try getting old answering machine pre-made loop tapes - I found one recently and used it with my 4-track for my last show.

The drone notes on different channels reminded me of something Lou Barlow did for an album, (at 6:54):

https://youtu.be/l41mqgOfqDA?t=414
weed_killer

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby MrNovember » Sat May 27, 2017 6:57 pm

Yeah I was thinking the Foster 280 looked a bit overkill. The more expensive one is in a local used junk store. Basically a flea market. I'd at least try to talk them down in price if it really came to that. I think I'll just keep my eyes open for now though. I might still go for the cheaper one though; there aren't too many posted locally, which I guess isn't much of a surprise

And yeah, I'd definitely be making or trying to buy some tape loops. That's what I had taken away from aen's post.

I'll check out that Lou Barlow clip later tonight.
MrNovember

Modulae of BILF
Modulae of BILF

Postby Psyre » Sat May 27, 2017 9:18 pm

A couple things I'd be sure to keep an eye out for playing tape fades would be thus:

Get one with as big of an EQ as possible
Also make sure it has atleast 2 speeds as well as a pitch fader/wheel
AUX sends are also worth getting, but not as important as the above for standalone use.

Now your 4 chords are capable of so much more

Depending on how portable you want it to be, 8 tracks obviously let's you have twice as many changes.

I've had 6 different models, and overall I prefer Yamaha's. More important than brand is condition. Condition is king, be prepared for a belt change, but do your self a favor and pass on worn heads.

I just gave my Yamaha MT3x to my collaborative partner, it's kind of a unique one. 4 tracks with an additional 2 tracks (5&6) as thru tracks that you can mix in with the 4 tracks recorded to tape for live performance.

My machines are a Yamaha MT100(mk1) and a Tascam 488 (mk1)

I'd so much rather have mkII's of both, but I got extremely lucky with their condition.

The MT100 is the perfect size for the task imo, and the mkII adds a 10 band EQ which is just so handy.

Super stoked to find out what you get!
Psyre

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby rfurtkamp » Sun May 28, 2017 12:23 am

Unless it's dirt cheap, go with a Tascam mid-range (414 etc) or a Yamaha as the cheap option.

The Fostex stuff was the bargain bin in its day, and it hasn't likely aged like wine.
==
My pedalboard costs approximately 191 Metal Zones.

rfurtkamp

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby chrisdermo » Sun May 28, 2017 3:45 am

I recently scored a fostex x28h for £30 off eBay sold as seen. Gave it a clean with isopropyl and de-magged the heads- works like a dream! What's more it's a 4 track recorder but 8 channel mixer so you can record your four tracks of drone, play them back and plug in 4 more devices to have 8 sound sources at once on the mixer. There is a way to record all 8 channels to a stereo track but haven't tried that yet. Has Dolby b, varispeed, I love it.
chrisdermo

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby manymanyhaha » Sun May 28, 2017 11:01 am

I came across my old Fostex X-18 while moving studios recently. I used to have a great time plugging an acoustic into it and getting a really nice distortion
manymanyhaha

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby sears » Sun May 28, 2017 11:58 am

Vestax, baby! I used my cassette 4-tracks so much. I just got a SD card Tascam 8-track that works exactly the same but sounds better. I love it.
sears

committed
committed

Postby Dr. Sherman Sticks M.D. » Sun May 28, 2017 11:59 am

can't believe these things are like $100-$200+ now. the appeal of these to me was always in a big part the accessibility (cheapness) of it.

the yamahas are my fave w/ that big ass graphic EQ.

old digital multi tracks are the new cassette multi tracks. can't give them away.
Dr. Sherman Sticks M.D.

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Psyre » Sun May 28, 2017 12:18 pm

Only problem with digital vs casette is how much more a hard drive is than a belt.
Psyre

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby rfurtkamp » Sun May 28, 2017 6:26 pm

Most of the digitals are SD cards these days.
==

rfurtkamp

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Dr. Sherman Sticks M.D. » Sun May 28, 2017 8:29 pm

even some of the old ones are CF card

all i really meant anyway was that u used to be able to scoop cassette multi tracks for nothing or next to (u prolly still can but not as easily it seems),
now you can do the same w/ the older digitals cuz nobody wants them anymore.

the fostex i have has lofi recording modes, and some limited but pretty rad reverb and compression.
8 tracks. easy to bounce/overdub tracks and undo function. not a lot of menus so it works pretty close to how u would use a cassette one. it was maybe $20.
Dr. Sherman Sticks M.D.

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby rfurtkamp » Sun May 28, 2017 8:58 pm

Yea, if I wanted cheap and weird, I'd go with a card-based digital, especially lo-fi mode.

If I wanted *cassette* weird, I'd get a Library of Congress deck and use that with random tapes thrown in a pillowcase like my old partner in crime.
==

rfurtkamp

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Return to General Gear