MS-20 mini

Moderator: Ghost Hip

Re: MS-20 mini

Postby D.o.S. » Wed May 24, 2017 11:37 am

echorec wrote:big pro, that no one seems to be taking advantage of: it can double as a physical controller for iOS apps

Cosigned.
good deals are here.
escapecraft is here.
UglyCasanova wrote: It's not the expensive programs you use, it's the way you click and drag.

Achtane wrote:
comesect2.0 wrote:Michael Jackson king tut little Richard in your butt.

IT'S THE ENNNND OF THE WORRRLD AS WE KNOW IT
D.o.S.

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby $harkToootth » Wed May 24, 2017 2:50 pm

Ev_O))) wrote:Bruh check this MS-20 only APHX cover:

Dude says it took him fucking months (Layering every note of the chords individually, hell, just transcribing the fucker) but when you compare it to the original you can see just how fucking versatile this beast is. It was a close second when I made my first big synth purchase a month ago and I still kinda want one...

I had no idea this existed...that is one of my favorite APHEX tracks...maybe one of my favorite pieces of music ever? Looking forward to listening when I get home. That album [SYRO] got me through a 'weird' time of my life. Not bad or good, just weird. I have fond memories of listening to it the day it came out in a group chat!

Regarding the Noise, what Pepe said. I forgot to mention this is a headphone out thing. I actually like it though! I love using the hpf and doing the fake duophony patch. I have also taken Pepe's suggestion and run the ms-20 mini through Overdrive for "sum wykid fk'in acid m8s...I swear on me mum and queen's Lyfe on the acid".

I'm with echorec, prefer the ms-20 mini over the KARP ODDY. Bought the ms-20 mini for almost 40% of the price too (and I got the oddy fairly cheap).

You can tame an MS-20 mini too. It can do some really wonderful pads. Especially if you already have some pedals! I have an EHX Pitchfork which is just wonderful for it. As said, any reverb (check out UC's Mercury 7 vid). I also enjoy some Chorus with it too.

****should have guessed this was velokitty. The dude is a genius with the ms-20 mini. I was going to post his channel.
Last edited by $harkToootth on Wed May 24, 2017 8:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"SWIPE LEFT ASSHOLE!" -retinal orbita
"Whatever ASSHOLE here’s my pedal that makes humpback whale noises and also it has a built in sequencer so stick it in your craw! -retinal orbita
"Patty Mullen takes me from a ball peen to a sledge" -The Great Velvet Hammer
"...at this exact moment Divine has learned of your jealous scheme from the local town gossip. She also has your address, ASS HOLE!" -Narrator (Mr. J) PINK FLAMINGOS
1 bird per post please
$harkToootth

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby echorec » Wed May 24, 2017 5:51 pm

BTW, ollilaboratories is one of my favorite synth channels on YT, and this is a good demo for anyone interested in picking one up.

echorec

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby $harkToootth » Wed May 24, 2017 5:54 pm

echorec wrote:BTW, ollilaboratories is one of my favorite synth channels on YT, and this is a good demo for anyone interested in picking one up.

Okay so fun fact...that video was why I bought my beloved echo shifter! Love his stuff!
"Whatever ASSHOLE here’s my pedal that makes humpback whale noises and also it has a built in sequencer so stick it in your craw! -retinal orbita
"...at this exact moment Divine has learned of your jealous scheme from the local town gossip. She also has your address, ASS HOLE!" -Narrator (Mr. J) PINK FLAMINGOS
1 bird per post please
$harkToootth

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby UglyCasanova » Wed May 24, 2017 8:25 pm

That was actually the video that sold me on the MS-20 Mini.
UglyCasanova

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby $harkToootth » Wed May 24, 2017 8:43 pm

UglyCasanova wrote:That was actually the video that sold me on the MS-20 Mini.

And your MS-20 Mini and Mercury 7 demo will sell future people on getting one! You know how I feel about acquiring another verb pedal otherwise I would have bought the Merc 7.

MS-20 mini through MOOMINDRONE T?
1 bird per post please
$harkToootth

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby UglyCasanova » Wed May 24, 2017 8:47 pm

Soon, my friend. Soon. :zen:
UglyCasanova

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Ev_O))) » Thu May 25, 2017 12:33 am

$harkToootth wrote:
Ev_O))) wrote:Bruh check this MS-20 only APHX cover:

Dude says it took him fucking months (Layering every note of the chords individually, hell, just transcribing the fucker) but when you compare it to the original you can see just how fucking versatile this beast is. It was a close second when I made my first big synth purchase a month ago and I still kinda want one...

I had no idea this existed...that is one of my favorite APHEX tracks...maybe one of my favorite pieces of music ever? Looking forward to listening when I get home. That album [SYRO] got me through a 'weird' time of my life. Not bad or good, just weird. I have fond memories of listening to it the day it came out in a group chat!

Regarding the Noise, what Pepe said. I forgot to mention this is a headphone out thing. I actually like it though! I love using the hpf and doing the fake duophony patch. I have also taken Pepe's suggestion and run the ms-20 mini through Overdrive for "sum wykid fk'in acid m8s...I swear on me mum and queen's Lyfe on the acid".

I'm with echorec, prefer the ms-20 mini over the KARP ODDY. Bought the ms-20 mini for almost 40% of the price too (and I got the oddy fairly cheap).

You can tame an MS-20 mini too. It can do some really wonderful pads. Especially if you already have some pedals! I have an EHX Pitchfork which is just wonderful for it. As said, any reverb (check out UC's Mercury 7 vid). I also enjoy some Chorus with it too.

****should have guessed this was velokitty. The dude is a genius with the ms-20 mini. I was going to post his channel.

Nah dude i fucking feel ya on that tune, it's peak RDJ for me. Vkitty only put that up like a week ago, it's fucking freakish, he's a fucking freak
I make noise, droney music: http://blasariusyonder.com
Joel Korte wrote:It's always your fucking fault
Ev_O)))

experienced
experienced

Postby askashrub » Fri May 26, 2017 5:11 pm

I've been looking at either a Karp Odyssey or MS-20 to replace my Microbrute.
On paper it's MS-20, but to my ear I don't get the brutal, dirty sound it's known for.
Haven't had a chance to sit down with one though.

Does anyone have direct experience with the Microbrute vs MS-20?
I really enjoyed setting the Brute high and girthing out.

I really need some girth is all.
(I loved how the Brute paired with the 0-coast).
askashrub

committed
committed

Postby $harkToootth » Fri May 26, 2017 5:58 pm

Can I ask what sort of budget you have in mind? Those two synths are different price points in mind. I got my MS-20 Mini used for $350. Got my KRAP ODDY for $550.

If you want a mono (I haven't played this) the KORG MONOLOGUE sounds awesome and if I am not mistake has user inputed scales?

If you are looking at the two, and I love my ODDY, but I'm taking the MS-20 MINI 11/10 times. It love how brutal that synth is but I also love that you can tame it. Since you have pedals you have a bit of latitude with it (as said, throw it through some reverb and breaths new life into it).

The Minibrute was my first synth. One came with keys broken and my replacement crapped out on day 2. So I kind of took the sign and said Arturia products were not meant to happen for me. I think it sounds great and sort of deduced less is more with that synth (i.e. modulating the metalizer [or whatever] on the triangle wave).

If you do not want a keyboard maybe wait for the new MALEKKO boxes? Those look sick! Especially the BFF. But those are in the $600 price point.

Just some thoughts...
1 bird per post please
$harkToootth

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby askashrub » Fri May 26, 2017 6:10 pm

$harkToootth wrote:Can I ask what sort of budget you have in mind? Those two synths are different price points in mind. I got my MS-20 Mini used for $350. Got my KRAP ODDY for $550.

If you want a mono (I haven't played this) the KORG MONOLOGUE sounds awesome and if I am not mistake has user inputed scales?

If you are looking at the two, and I love my ODDY, but I'm taking the MS-20 MINI 11/10 times. It love how brutal that synth is but I also love that you can tame it.

I might have a little arrangement with Korg, so for the moment I'm just looking at their stuff.
A mono specifically (though duophonic is welcome).

Seems I just need to try them both out.
I keep hearing the MS-20 is brutal, and that's what I want.
askashrub

committed
committed

Postby UglyCasanova » Fri May 26, 2017 6:15 pm

It's a nasty machine. I think you'd approve.
UglyCasanova

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby $harkToootth » Fri May 26, 2017 6:23 pm

Seconded. Rude, mean, monophonic machine! If you need more UMMMPPPHHH...just patch it into itself. From what I understand, that is what the brute factor is (on the mini and micro)?

That said, throw in the ringmod on the ARP you're basically the muck man with how nasty that gets. That said to that said, the ARP's HPF is not voltage controlled and has no modulation which is very unfortunate.

So, yes, MS-20 MINI but I do sometimes say MONOLOGUE cause I really haven't seen that explored (and I'm not getting one).
1 bird per post please
$harkToootth

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Zijnzijn Zijnzijn! » Fri May 26, 2017 7:41 pm

I sold my MiniBrute for an MS-20, and I'm kinda half and half on how I feel about that decision. I absolutely adore the MS-20 and have barely scratched the surface on how awesome it can be (more often than not I've used it for droney loops, but I've played a handful of noise shows with it and it's fucking terrifying). I really do miss the brute tho - the low bass on that is significantly deeper than I've gotten the MS-20 to be.

So, get em both!
Zijnzijn Zijnzijn!

committed
committed

Postby $harkToootth » Fri May 26, 2017 7:55 pm

That would be the brute's sub osc I reckon. The KRAP gets VERY LOW. If you're just into cool vibrations and speakers doing interesting things the KRAP will get you there.
1 bird per post please
$harkToootth

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

PreviousNext

Return to General Gear