Favorite SS amp for cleans/pedals?

Moderator: Ghost Hip

Re: Favorite SS amp for cleans/pedals?

Postby neonblack » Fri May 19, 2017 11:52 am

Any experience with the gallien Krueger micro lead amps? I found one local for 100 bucks. It says 120w at 4ohms but my cab is 8ohms. Still loud enough probably but are these amps shit?

Edit: Fuck it, probably snagging it.
neonblack

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Gone Fission » Fri May 19, 2017 10:17 pm

neonblack wrote:Any experience with the gallien Krueger micro lead amps? I found one local for 100 bucks. It says 120w at 4ohms but my cab is 8ohms. Still loud enough probably but are these amps shit?

Dibs on the flip.
D.o.S. wrote:Broadly speaking, if we at ILF are dropping 300 bucks on a pedal it probably sounds like an SNES holocaust.
friendship wrote:death to false bleep-blop
UglyCasanova wrote:brb gonna slap my dick on my stomp boxes
Gone Fission

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby ck3 » Mon May 22, 2017 1:19 am

My go-to pedal platform for the better part of the past year has been a Boss GL-100 preamp and Rocktron Velocity 300 power amp run into a Line6 Spider 4x12. The GL-100 was actively sought, and the other components were the most affordable options I stumbled upon locally. The idea was to build a cheap-ish stereo rig that would work well for home noodling or jamming with others in a full band context.

For the longest time, I was using various forms of dirt with the drive mode of channel 2 and (EQ-based) cab sim enabled. I recently discovered that it was possible to achieve relatively warm tones using the flat mode of channel 2 without the 4x12 simulation engaged (though treble frequencies can be a bit harsh at times when playing in the upper register with higher gain).
ck3

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby rfurtkamp » Mon May 22, 2017 1:22 am

The GL-100 is a fine mean monster.

I am very glad I got my second for a whopping $45 from a Music Go Round so I could run two. :)
==
My pedalboard costs approximately 191 Metal Zones.

rfurtkamp

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby ck3 » Mon May 22, 2017 4:43 pm

rfurtkamp wrote:The GL-100 is a fine mean monster.

I am very glad I got my second for a whopping $45 from a Music Go Round so I could run two. :)

Do you run them parallel? If so, that must sound br00t4l ... especially with the HM-2 setting (CH1, DIST II). What type of power amp are you using?
ck3

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby rfurtkamp » Mon May 22, 2017 8:34 pm

Yea, I have them running parallel typically, but they're running into a patchbay and possibly a mile of other stuff.

Can terminate in my Mackie monitors, the Mustang V with stereo 4x12 poweramp, or two any two amps I have here.
==

rfurtkamp

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby $harkToootth » Tue May 23, 2017 12:19 pm

You posted about the GL 100 in another thread. You make it sound awesome! HM-2 on crack?
"SWIPE LEFT ASSHOLE!" -retinal orbita
"Whatever ASSHOLE here’s my pedal that makes humpback whale noises and also it has a built in sequencer so stick it in your craw! -retinal orbita
"Patty Mullen takes me from a ball peen to a sledge" -The Great Velvet Hammer
"...at this exact moment Divine has learned of your jealous scheme from the local town gossip. She also has your address, ASS HOLE!" -Narrator (Mr. J) PINK FLAMINGOS
1 bird per post please
$harkToootth

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby rfurtkamp » Tue May 23, 2017 4:44 pm

Yea, basically it's every period (late 80s) Boss dirt box in a two channel analog rackmount, footswitchable, with enough outs to strangle a choir.

Dual parametric on one channel, single on the other, plus basic EQs, multiple gain circuits in each, etc.
==

rfurtkamp

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby ck3 » Wed May 24, 2017 1:14 pm

When set properly, Drive I, Channel 1 of the Boss GL-100 can run relatively clean and add a bit of HM-2 chainsaw edge to whatever random dirt is fed into it. The Flat, Channel 2 setting is my usual choice, and sounds like a slightly honkier Roland JC-type preamp.
ck3

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby rfurtkamp » Wed May 24, 2017 6:27 pm

Yea, I have one on ch1, drive 1, one on ch2 flat.

Footswitch for the one normally living on ch2, with the drive channel set beyond kill.
==

rfurtkamp

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Chankgeez » Thu May 25, 2017 6:52 pm

GMD wants you to buy this one:

psychic vampire. wrote:The important take away from this thread: Taoism and Ring Modulators go together?
…...........................…
Sweet dealin's: here
"Now, of course, Strega is not a Minimoog… and I am not Sun Ra" - dude from MAKENOISE
#GreenRinger
Chankgeez

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Location: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FGhbeHujNZQ youtube.com/watch?v=V-2l7kkBURc

Postby ck3 » Thu May 25, 2017 8:08 pm

The used Quilter 101 mini head I ordered through Reverb arrived earlier today. I actually tried one in a local store when previously living in Maine and was underwhelmed. It would have definitely been more impressive if I had opted to use a cab instead of headphones.

The build quality is super solid, and four of the five voices seem compatible with my current overdrives and fuzzes of choice (with minimal tweaking). The Full-Q, Jazz, and Surf voices are the most fuzz-friendly of the bunch, and the (Marshall-esque) Lead voice can bring the doom with a heavier overdrive.

It is insanely loud and has boku clean headroom with my Line6 Spider 4x12. The onboard overdrive is poo when set beyond breakup range, but, given the Quilter was purchased as a clean pedal platform, I could care less.

The only issue at this point is barely audible speaker hiss resulting from the interplay between its power amp's noise floor and my cab. This may be a problem if recording with a sensitive mic, and, per the builder, can be solved by using an attenuator or lower-powered cab. The Quilter is otherwise quiet, even when tapping the humbuckers on my Schecters.

The EQ can be tweaked to sound similar to my Boss GL-100. The mono effects loop is a bit of a bummer, though two Quilter 101s run parallel would likely sound massive.
ck3

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby Derelict78 » Fri May 26, 2017 4:15 pm

aen wrote:Or I'll just use fuzz. Then Ill sound cool regardless.

Achtane wrote:Well, volcanoes are pretty fuckin' cool. Like I guess lava flows are doomy. Slow and still able to to melt your eardrums.
Derelict78

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Justinm1789 » Sat May 27, 2017 3:34 pm

received_10155451983304679.jpeg
received_10155451983304679.jpeg (29.73 KiB) Viewed 2176 times

Good news, everyone!
Finally tracked down a G100, in 210 form, in what looks to be a custom blonde cab with closed back, no less.

Lowball offered $150 on a reverb auction and the guy took it. Score.
Justinm1789

committed
committed

Postby OddKnowledge » Sun May 28, 2017 11:27 am

neonblack wrote:Any experience with the gallien Krueger micro lead amps? I found one local for 100 bucks. It says 120w at 4ohms but my cab is 8ohms. Still loud enough probably but are these amps shit?

I'm not sure about that model, but i have managed to get usable guitar tones from a 1st version GK MB115 combo or a 700RBII w/ a 410 cab. It just takes a little EQ adjustment.
OddKnowledge

experienced
experienced

PreviousNext

Return to General Gear