Roland Aira Modular (Scooper/Torcido/Bitrazer/Demora) thread

Moderator: Ghost Hip

Roland Aira Modular (Scooper/Torcido/Bitrazer/Demora) thread

Postby manymanyhaha » Tue Apr 25, 2017 9:21 am

Always on the lookout for Dual Mono effects to save board space so really interested in these. And they are a lot smaller than one would think. I would be using them with guitar.

Scooper: Is there a way to have it auto record once it receives signal and not have to keep pressing the Record button? For some reason, this pedal seems to have the potential to be a glitch/stutter type pedal but one that is dual mono with lots of backend editing possible with the customization software.

Customization software: Do you need to have the editing software open always for the programs to work or are they stored on the pedal and you only need the editing software to edit?

CV/Gate: I have yet to mess with CV/Gate. My looping software (Circular Labs Mobius) can send out midi clock. If I acquired some type of Midi Clock to CV converter, I should be able to use that for timing/syncing purposes, correct?
manymanyhaha

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Re: Roland Aira Modular (Scooper/Torcido/Bitrazer/Demora) th

Postby Strange Tales » Tue Apr 25, 2017 9:25 am

Scooper: Nope, no way to auto trigger it. I'm still baffled how they didn't think to include that. I've heard the delay is pretty good but I'm so butt-frustrated about them not having auto trigger on the Scooper that I won't try any of them out.

User Warpsmasher uses all of these and loves them. He can probably answer the rest.
木枯らし // 木漏れ日 // 風に綱は戦ぐ

Strange Tales Distro - Japanese Underground Music Distribution in the US

Invisible Man wrote:Strange Tales: putting the ‘weeb’ in ‘dweeb’ since whenever.
Strange Tales

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby manymanyhaha » Tue Apr 25, 2017 9:36 am

Well hell, I bought one yesterday without thinking about the auto trigger but while watching videos last night, kept thinking "Why do they keep pressing record?".

I'm not sure it will be useful to me now.
manymanyhaha

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby oscillateur » Tue Apr 25, 2017 9:39 am

Are they still cheap in the US ?
If someone got one and wants to trade it for a Volca/some Pocket Operators or something like that, tell me :).
oscillateur

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby Seance » Tue Apr 25, 2017 10:19 am

oscillateur wrote:Are they still cheap in the US ?

The Bitrazer seems to be at a few places in Canada for $169 Canadian (which is $124 US or 13,773.488 Yen).

http://www.moogaudio.com/roland-bitrazer-eurorack-p-9195.html?osCsid=2flbfa1i88nrib0r55h85gc4h0

I haven't tried any of the AIRA modules. The Scooper and Demora seem hard to locate for sale in Canada.
Seance

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby resincum » Tue Apr 25, 2017 12:02 pm

manymanyhaha wrote:Always on the lookout for Dual Mono effects to save board space so really interested in these. And they are a lot smaller than one would think. I would be using them with guitar.

Scooper: Is there a way to have it auto record once it receives signal and not have to keep pressing the Record button? For some reason, this pedal seems to have the potential to be a glitch/stutter type pedal but one that is dual mono with lots of backend editing possible with the customization software.

Customization software: Do you need to have the editing software open always for the programs to work or are they stored on the pedal and you only need the editing software to edit?

CV/Gate: I have yet to mess with CV/Gate. My looping software (Circular Labs Mobius) can send out midi clock. If I acquired some type of Midi Clock to CV converter, I should be able to use that for timing/syncing purposes, correct?

scooper glitches/stutters like a mother fucker without digging into the software. you can't trigger to record or erase, which would have been AMAZING, but it's still awesome. you just have to use your hands :) like the days before self automating modular :p

you don't need to be running the software for the customization stuff to be going on. that's saved from the last time you use it. all you need is an aux cable from your comp to the aira module to update. updates in real time

yes midi clock to cv converter = sync

apparently the demora is the craziest delay ever because of the software. might grab it sometime. for now, you can find the scooper for $190 new.. even if you don't get along with the stutter stuff, the customization stuff is so worth it. you can handle most of your utility needs with it. (just saw the bitrazer on sale too, that's a helluva steal..)
i'm glad i can call you a friend. even if i'll never see you again
resincum

Supporter
Supporter

Postby Warpsmasher » Tue Apr 25, 2017 12:11 pm

manymanyhaha wrote:Customization software: Do you need to have the editing software open always for the programs to work or are they stored on the pedal and you only need the editing software to edit?
The software doesn't have to always be open, you can load or make a patch and be done with it. I use the ipad for editing (ipad audio out to the remote in jack by the main inputs)and save all my presets there. I also connect the Torcido and occasionally the Scooper to the computer for direct digital recording, when I'm using one as a mixer. Now, this is a very little known fact, but these things make incredible recording interfaces, and are the first modules to convert audio from eurojacks to recordable digital. You can record up to 10 CHANNELS of direct digital audio at once, from one module. That is beyond lavish...you can only get two channels from an Eventide rack harmonizer or a high end keyboard synth. Each of the 6 griffer inputs, as well as the main inputs and the outputs, all appear as available recording sources when you connect a module. Insane.

I've still not tried it yet, but there is a submodule for that, so you should be all set. :thumb:
Last edited by Warpsmasher on Tue Apr 25, 2017 12:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Warpsmasher

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby resincum » Tue Apr 25, 2017 12:18 pm

WARPSMASHER...is it possible to send CV out?
resincum

Supporter
Supporter

Postby Warpsmasher » Tue Apr 25, 2017 12:38 pm

Yes! And you can also recycle all the CV you put into (or have happening inside of) it. Just stack your virtual cv cables to one or both outputs, replacing the audio that is normally patched there. You can also patch them all into mixer submodules, for some really interesting morphing CV shapes.
Warpsmasher

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby resincum » Tue Apr 25, 2017 12:43 pm

haha I thought so! got a little too deep in a patch yesterday and forgot to try that. thanks!!
resincum

Supporter
Supporter

Postby manymanyhaha » Tue Apr 25, 2017 1:10 pm

Warpsmasher wrote:
manymanyhaha wrote:You can record up to 10 CHANNELS of direct digital audio at once, from one module. That is beyond lavish...you can only get two channels from an Eventide rack harmonizer or a high end keyboard synth. Each of the 6 griffer inputs, as well as the main inputs and the outputs, all appear as available recording sources when you connect a module. Insane.

Wait, wait, wait, for real? How does the conversion sound? This could be the cheapest way yet to get a 20 input recording interface, if it sounds good.
manymanyhaha

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby manymanyhaha » Tue Apr 25, 2017 1:12 pm

resincum wrote:scooper glitches/stutters like a mother fucker without digging into the software. you can't trigger to record or erase, which would have been AMAZING, but it's still awesome. you just have to use your hands :) like the days before self automating modular :p

Unfortunately, two hands are on the guitar already :idk:

Will the record knob respond to midi cc?
manymanyhaha

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby manymanyhaha » Tue Apr 25, 2017 1:16 pm

Warpsmasher wrote:
manymanyhaha wrote:
I've still not tried it yet, but there is a submodule for that, so you should be all set. :thumb:

There is no midi in, so will receive midi via usb?
manymanyhaha

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby Warpsmasher » Tue Apr 25, 2017 1:30 pm

I guess? I haven't tried it, and I also haven't tried recording more than 2 channels at once. There is latency when I record 2 channels to soundforge, so I assume you need a really powerful computer to beat latency on 10, which I do not have at the moment.

Another thing I should point out about the CV out is the attenuation. You can set it inside the module, but the volume knob on the surface will also affect the level of outgoing CV. You don't want that knob much past 9 o clock if you're sending modular CV to pedals, unless it's already set way low in the software, which could still be tricky.

Another thing about using them as audio mixers - the griffer knobs on the surface of the module need to be turned all the way down, otherwise there will be voltage and crackling/noise, from whichever inputs are not turned down. Submodules are used for whatever level adjustments and effects on the various audio signals.
Warpsmasher

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby manymanyhaha » Tue Apr 25, 2017 9:35 pm

rad man, thanks for the info.

I really think I bought the wrong one, given that the Scooper can't auo-record. But we will see when it gets here, maybe someway somehow it can replace somethin on the board
manymanyhaha

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Return to General Gear