I need the Flange

Moderator: Ghost Hip

Re: I need the Flange

Postby abio » Sat Apr 22, 2017 8:32 am

they probably aren't what you're looking for, but i'll throw in my favorite flangers anyway:

1) hoax: this is the flanger to end them all. a fucking work of art. nearly impossible to use effectively in a band context, but hey, who says art has to be useful?

2) boss hf2: this one does a really cool jet-like flanger without being too cheesy.

3) frostbite: i think it's an ada clone? real cool pedal, very warm sounding, versatile and intuitive once you get the hang of it.
Last edited by abio on Sat Apr 22, 2017 4:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
abio

interested
interested

Postby popvulture » Sat Apr 22, 2017 9:22 am

I just got a Spectre this week—it's great. Way more than what you'd normally expect from a flanger, which is pretty par-for-the-course for CBA stuff. I like it a lot better than the WV though, but I think that's more of a personal thing, as I just have a really hard time liking chorus :idk:

I have an old MIJ BF-2 that I love. I also really like the Alexander, which can do a lot of that really fun, weirdo whiny stuff that the Spectre does, for significantly less $.
neonblack wrote:They say tone is in the hooks

D.o.S. wrote:I'm pretty sure moderation leads to Mustang Sally.

coldbrightsunlight wrote:Yes I am a soppy pop person at heart I think with noises round the edge

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JphJfwsUbT4
popvulture

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby echorec » Sat Apr 22, 2017 12:19 pm

Do you Deco users ever feed it back into itself for double the saturation?
echorec

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby humandingus » Sat Apr 22, 2017 1:38 pm

another vote for the F13. while i usually don't have flippers remorse, i flipped mine and i regret it all the time.
humandingus

committed
committed

Postby oldangelmidnight » Sat Apr 22, 2017 3:08 pm

sylnau wrote:Get a Subdecay Starlight V2

The sample and hold random waveform is so much fun. Great if you want it to be super weird but also nice if used subtly.
oldangelmidnight

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby friendship » Sun Apr 23, 2017 8:33 am

I have a Tunnelworm but one flange isn't enough. I think I want either

Moog MF Flange
A/DA PBF Flanger
good ol BF-2
sound journal

actualidiot wrote:12-bit's almost analog, right?
friendship

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Snufkino » Sun Apr 23, 2017 2:58 pm

I really like the Boss HF-2, which you could probably pick up for a decent price. Does subtle settings better than the regular BF-2 and can do a very decent impression of the CE-2. If you want less subtle, the regular BF-2 is a solid choice.

FWIW, despite having an HF-2, and CE-2 I'm still tempted to try out the minimoogerfoogerdooders. They sound solid and classy.
Snufkino

experienced
experienced

Postby jrfox92 » Sun Apr 23, 2017 3:28 pm

Just go all out and get a Cluster Flux. :snax:
Since I always forget:

Inconuucl wrote:You can't kill Strymon, it'll just resurrect 3 days later.

BitchPudding wrote:Despite all my rage, I am still just eating tacos in a cage.

Inconuucl wrote:Welcome to ilf, we have three jokes and twelve posters. <3
jrfox92

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Chankgeez » Sun Apr 23, 2017 3:33 pm

psychic vampire. wrote:The important take away from this thread: Taoism and Ring Modulators go together?
…...........................…
Sweet dealin's: here
"Now, of course, Strega is not a Minimoog… and I am not Sun Ra" - dude from MAKENOISE
#GreenRinger
Chankgeez

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Location: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FGhbeHujNZQ youtube.com/watch?v=V-2l7kkBURc

Postby digi2t » Sun Apr 23, 2017 3:40 pm

My top three flangers;

#3, and not the reissue, or the EVH version. The original one with the SAD1024 BBD. Still widely available, and you can still pick one up for less then the price of a SAD1024 chip alone. Go figure. :wha?:

#2. Yeah, real pricey, and hard to find, but it's been cloned, so maybe someone in the Shark Tank might be able to help you out. The clone is every bit as good as the original.

#1. PCB's are readily available, but get your TAD1022's at Smallbear. It's a DIY build, but in my book, the be all, end all, of flangers. Again, maybe the Shark Tank can help you out.

"Turn down the amp, strum harder." - PRR

http://www.deadendfx.com/
digi2t

experienced
experienced

Postby actual » Sun Apr 23, 2017 3:45 pm

Ugh, all of those are too fucking boner inducing.
Mixing and mastering? Makeshift Audio
actual

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby tim » Sun Apr 23, 2017 11:12 pm

hotknife wrote:Not a popular choice, but the Strymon Deco has some amazing "tape" flange and random vibrato/chorus. Perhaps my favorite in a pedal. Way expensive though, especially if you don't like all the other features (the tape saturation is whack).

Yes. I have a Deco and it rules. The flange is amazing, and the closest to real tape flange I've heard in a pedal. There's not a bad sound in it. Everything about it sounds great, including the tape saturation.
tim

committed
committed

Postby Bartimaeus » Mon Apr 24, 2017 10:28 pm

Thanks for the boatload of input, everyone! It seems wrong to get a second Bitquest if I don't try some of these others first, and some of these seem really cool!

I think I'm go with the ADA Pbf. No stepped or weird waveforms, no tap tempo, but tons of tweak-ability! Plus the price is good. I still want a Spectre, but I think the immediacy of the ADA (with all those knobs) beats out extra forms of modulation. Plus the ADA has a CV input so I can hook it up to my euro sequencer if I really want to have some fun.

Any thoughts on how the BF2 compares to other old 4-knob flangers? Given what they sell for, I might pick one up as well.

Real tape echo is what got me in the door for flange, which had me eyeing the Deco from the start, but it doesn't seem worth the money for a purely good sounding flange (no weird features) when I'm happy with the Bitquest. Subdecay Starlight V2 seems optimized for stepped waveforms, which I think I'd love when set subtle, but it also lacks negative feedback which I'd like from a boutique flanger. Alexander F.13 has negative feedback which I love on the Bitquest, but I am NEVER going to use that dynamic mode. And since I'm not, it seems like I might as well go for the ADA instead.

SOST Flanger is definitely way more than I need. Same for Flanger Hoax. I wouldn't mind DIY, although I can't seem to find many flanger boards on google. I'm tempted to try those old hardwired MXR and DOD flangers, but I just know I'd end up not using them because of the size+power (I don't use my Polychorus for the same reason, which I just remembered has a flanger mode...). Moog MF Flange sounds cool, but the vocal mode really isn't my thing and again I'd rather have more features. Cluster Flux is out of my budget. Frostbite seems like an ADA clone, but more cumbersome than the new Pbf.
Bartimaeus

experienced
experienced

Postby digi2t » Tue Apr 25, 2017 11:02 am

Bartimaeus wrote:I wouldn't mind DIY, although I can't seem to find many flanger boards on google.

Check;

- Tonepad (Electric Mistress, Ibanez 301)
- Madbean (MXR117 MN3007 clone)
- BYOC (Build your own clone - Stereo analog flanger - not a clone of anything in particular, just a "best of".)
- Randomsource (for Haible project PCB's, as well as many other Euro rack projects)
"Turn down the amp, strum harder." - PRR

http://www.deadendfx.com/
digi2t

experienced
experienced

Postby friendship » Tue Apr 25, 2017 12:33 pm

whoops I bought a Moog Flange
sound journal

actualidiot wrote:12-bit's almost analog, right?
friendship

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

PreviousNext

Return to General Gear