Synth Pedal Thread

Moderator: Ghost Hip

Synth Pedal Thread

Postby Iommic Pope » Tue Mar 28, 2017 6:37 am

http://www.ehx.com/blog/introducing-the-synth9

Ugly, terrible demo, possibly some cool sounds.
I'm kind of interested in sticking a fuzz after the Moog Bass setting for weird fake bassing.
Anyone else kind of seeing some appeal here?
:snax:
Last edited by Iommic Pope on Thu Mar 30, 2017 8:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
WWPD?
fcknoise wrote:You are all fucking tryhard effort posting nerds

Invisible Man wrote:I'm probably the most humble person I know. I feel good about smelling my own butthole.

Jesus Was a Robot wrote:Did you just assume Billy Corgan's dildo preference??
Iommic Pope

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Re: EHX Synth 9

Postby fcknoise » Tue Mar 28, 2017 6:42 am

I've used a few guitar synth things in my Days but I've never really liked them. The pitchfactor has a decent one but I feel like it can never sustain the way you want it to
Cydonia wrote: Too bad no one here is interested in talking about "gear"

BossMann73 wrote:I didn't insult it......I "curated" a "different aesthetic.".

John wrote:I love how this forum has the GDP of Switzerland in pedals but the collective value of everyone's patch cables is less than the change in my couch cushions. And I don't have a couch.

Soundcloud: https://soundcloud.com/sharkmovieappriciator
Bandcamp: https://fcknoise.bandcamp.com/
fcknoise

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Iommic Pope » Tue Mar 28, 2017 6:45 am

Yeah, I've generally steered clear of them for reasons of shitty tracking and lame sounds.
EHX have kind of cracked it with tracking lately though.
I think this thing could have good potential for weird.
WWPD?

Invisible Man wrote:I'm probably the most humble person I know. I feel good about smelling my own butthole.

Iommic Pope

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby odontophobia » Tue Mar 28, 2017 9:23 am

i'll patiently await somebody else to demo this that isn't EHX. would be interesting to hear how it sounds with bass.
odontophobia

Supporter
Supporter

Postby Iommic Pope » Tue Mar 28, 2017 9:52 am

Yeah, its frustrating how cringeworthy their demos are.
But, more importantly, they never show you how any of the shit actually works and what you could potentially do with it.
WWPD?

Iommic Pope

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby hotknife » Tue Mar 28, 2017 1:21 pm

According to EHX, as of today, both the Synth9 and the Canyon are officially released. Should see some impressions and more demos shortly. I was able to preorder both 20% off. Really dug the Mel9, so I have faith this will at least be fun to mess around with. Curious to hear how it pairs with a Space Station, as I love using my Pocket Piano with one.
#reversereverbintoprofit #ambientflippershark
hotknife

experienced
experienced

Postby echorec » Tue Mar 28, 2017 2:11 pm

echorec

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Iommic Pope » Tue Mar 28, 2017 8:01 pm

hotknife wrote:According to EHX, as of today, both the Synth9 and the Canyon are officially released. Should see some impressions and more demos shortly. I was able to preorder both 20% off. Really dug the Mel9, so I have faith this will at least be fun to mess around with. Curious to hear how it pairs with a Space Station, as I love using my Pocket Piano with one.

Yeah hopefully we gwt some good demos over the next few days.
Thats a good deal.
echorec wrote:We did already have 2 threads on this pedal. Just sayin' Image

viewtopic.php?f=149&t=55681&hilit=ehx+synth

viewtopic.php?f=149&t=55686&p=1189213&hilit=ehx+synth#p1189213

Ah damn it!
Site search failed me. I actually checked before I posted this and the search didnt ping anything.
Ah well, now we have three.
WWPD?

Iommic Pope

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Teej212 » Tue Mar 28, 2017 11:16 pm

if i'm buying a synth pedal, I want way more than two controls to manipulate the synth...thats why I have my eye on the sy-300
Teej212

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby $harkToootth » Tue Mar 28, 2017 11:53 pm

I'm with you 100% on that. I wish synth pedals would explore outside of the subtractive synth paradigm. I've harped on this for a while, I would love to see an additive synthesis emulation pedal or phase distortion. Ring Mods do cool FM stuff and WMD utilized wave table principles. I think DSP Granular pedals ala Red Panda are an awesome step forward. I would argue the CT5 is something like a synth.
"SWIPE LEFT ASSHOLE!" -retinal orbita
"Whatever ASSHOLE here’s my pedal that makes humpback whale noises and also it has a built in sequencer so stick it in your craw! -retinal orbita
"Patty Mullen takes me from a ball peen to a sledge" -The Great Velvet Hammer
"...at this exact moment Divine has learned of your jealous scheme from the local town gossip. She also has your address, ASS HOLE!" -Narrator (Mr. J) PINK FLAMINGOS
1 bird per post please
$harkToootth

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Iommic Pope » Wed Mar 29, 2017 12:11 am

Yeah, while agree that the Boss will be better overall, for what I have in mind this will pass the muster as its about 1/3 the price.
And while Im not going to use all the modes, as someone in one of the other threads mentioned, there just wont be more than a few good sounds in it, the ones it seems to do well are the ones im interested in.
Also mentioned in the other thread was the idea of imperfections in the sound kind of making it cooler. That whole thing about approximating, failing, and ending up somewhere new. I had a whammy in a digitexh multi pedal that had some really sideways and glitchy tracking that was basically unreliable. I fucking loved that about it and it made me use whammy more than i would have without it as a result.
WWPD?

Iommic Pope

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Iommic Pope » Wed Mar 29, 2017 12:13 am

$harkToootth wrote:I'm with you 100% on that. I wish synth pedals would explore outside of the subtractive synth paradigm. I've harped on this for a while, I would love to see an additive synthesis emulation pedal or phase distortion. Ring Mods do cool FM stuff and WMD utilized wave table principles. I think DSP Granular pedals ala Red Panda are an awesome step forward. I would argue the CT5 is something like a synth.

Definitely.
Its possible given the amount of stuff ehx have released lately that is of this ilk that we may see that soon.
But then again, it is ehx and there's a fair chance they either wont go there or fuck it up royally when they do.
There is also the possibility that they fucking nail it, though.
WWPD?

Iommic Pope

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby $harkToootth » Wed Mar 29, 2017 12:22 am

Iommic Pope wrote: I had a whammy in a digitexh multi pedal that had some really sideways and glitchy tracking that was basically unreliable. I fucking loved that about it and it made me use whammy more than i would have without it as a result.

Yes! I know exactly what you are talking about! I still have mine! I think the expression pedal needs to recalibrate on mine.
"Whatever ASSHOLE here’s my pedal that makes humpback whale noises and also it has a built in sequencer so stick it in your craw! -retinal orbita
"...at this exact moment Divine has learned of your jealous scheme from the local town gossip. She also has your address, ASS HOLE!" -Narrator (Mr. J) PINK FLAMINGOS
1 bird per post please
$harkToootth

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Iommic Pope » Wed Mar 29, 2017 12:25 am

That warble in the middle of the note? Or how it tracks a chord smoothly to start with but then cant decide what the fuck to do after youve held it for a sec?
Gold.
The space station sim on that thing was pretty cool too. It sounded like a bad 80s cassette recording of a space station.
WWPD?

Iommic Pope

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby $harkToootth » Wed Mar 29, 2017 12:33 am

I remember getting a "good deal" on mine. The guy at Sam Ash was two grades above me in high school and we were friendly enough so I got that and the power supply for $125. This was 2004. I saw one sell for like $25 on reverb in 2016.
1 bird per post please
$harkToootth

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Next

Return to General Gear