NPD: Earthbound Throat Locust

Moderator: Ghost Hip

Re: NPD: Earthbound Throat Locust

Postby WizWas » Wed Apr 10, 2019 7:06 am

Thanks. I do wish some of those features, especially the mid bands, were on the outside.

gila_crisis wrote:I have the TL and used to have a Wurm.
Soundwise both HM2 clones, so the caracter is very similar.
To me the TL has more options and flexibilities, having a clipping diode switch and the paramentric mid band control. Also the Gain/fuzz control is more usable and has a better range.
The Wurm is cool because you can fine tune the EQ to your liking, but you need a screwdriver and to open the pedal to acess the trimpots.
WizWas

uncommitted
uncommitted

Postby Chankgeez » Fri Jul 24, 2020 8:00 pm

Nice. :)* :!!!:
psychic vampire. wrote:The important take away from this thread: Taoism and Ring Modulators go together?
…...........................…
Sweet dealin's: here
"Now, of course, Strega is not a Minimoog… and I am not Sun Ra" - dude from MAKENOISE
#GreenRinger
Chankgeez

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Location: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FGhbeHujNZQ youtube.com/watch?v=V-2l7kkBURc

Postby retinal orbita » Fri Jul 24, 2020 10:29 pm

A trifle jealous. Throat Locust is the only HM2 clone I really lust over.....
retinal orbita

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby goroth » Sat Jul 25, 2020 10:32 am

retinal orbita wrote:A trifle jealous. Throat Locust is the only HM2 clone I really lust over.....

Me too.
ALLisNOISE wrote:you can dial in some wonderfully smeared 12bit cascades of cicadas leveling a hail of rockets against an army of rusty box fans!

Latest album out on all streaming services and bandcamp and what not.
Spotify /// Apple Music
My band /// Instagram ///Bandcamp ///
goroth

HERO
HERO

Postby Jero » Sat Jul 25, 2020 11:22 am

The description is on point vidret. I typically use it way more for general raucous and stonery stuff, over the chainsaw thing, myself :idk:

...Plus it's killer on bass. My go to for that application.
I make noise toys under Stomping Stones

oldangelmidnight wrote:This is the classic ILF I love. Emotional highs and lows. Scooped mids in my heart all day long.
Jero

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby goroth » Mon Jul 27, 2020 5:40 am

The Hm-2 is definitely made for lower tubings.
D standard and it’s kinda... weak? At least on the classic all knobs maxed setting.
But B or lower... hnnnnng!
ALLisNOISE wrote:you can dial in some wonderfully smeared 12bit cascades of cicadas leveling a hail of rockets against an army of rusty box fans!

Spotify /// Apple Music
goroth

HERO
HERO

Postby Jero » Mon Jul 27, 2020 10:13 am

vidret wrote:
goroth wrote:The Hm-2 is definitely made for lower tubings.
D standard and it’s kinda... weak? At least on the classic all knobs maxed setting.
But B or lower... hnnnnng!

that's because you can't separate the mids frequency on the hm-2 :poke: :p

:lol:

oldangelmidnight wrote:This is the classic ILF I love. Emotional highs and lows. Scooped mids in my heart all day long.
Jero

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Ghost Hip » Mon Jul 27, 2020 11:12 am

vidret wrote:And I'm sure it's been posted in this thread before, but since it's been unlisted I had a hard time finding it and it's the best demo, here's ghost hip's demo of the locust (again? again):

final/other thoughts:

this eq would be really fun to pair with some sort of fuzz circuit, superfuzz?
this drive circuit might be fun to pair with another EQ, but I'm not sure whether switching the EQ out would make the drive redundant, a lot of the magic happens where this peaks in several places at once. Could be cool if it clipped in the same way but the EQ was handled differently :idk:

i'm gonna have to try the iron pig next, EA makes good stuff.

Oh damn you like that demo? I think I was too in my head one day and decided I didn't dig it but I guess it's alright. :lol:

Pushing any scooped fuzz -> Throat Locust is probably my favorite way to use it. :animal:

I'm going to try pairing the Throat Locust with my Stone Deaf PDF1x to try that EQ pairing thing, thats a fun idea.

Iron Pig slays, 100% recommend!
Youtube Channel?

mr. sound boy king wrote:Organic apples are not normal, they are special, like analog, whereas normal apples, like digital, taste sterile and lack warmth.

friendship wrote:y u h8 swoosh woosh
Ghost Hip

Postby Ghost Hip » Mon Jul 27, 2020 1:29 pm

vidret wrote:An iron pig is def in my future but I’m already having issues deciding which dirts to keep on the board. Woe is me :lol:

Feel that lol. I am at point of expansion with my collection and its about time to contract and get rid of some things before taking more on.
Youtube Channel?

mr. sound boy king wrote:Organic apples are not normal, they are special, like analog, whereas normal apples, like digital, taste sterile and lack warmth.

friendship wrote:y u h8 swoosh woosh
Ghost Hip

Postby Jero » Thu Jul 30, 2020 9:29 am

vidret wrote:question regarding version differences; the PCB on mine says v1, and the description on the website says the gain knob is a logarithmic pot to extend the gain range, but it's still barely a bump to get it going beyond almost clean, and then almost no difference throughout the rest.

There is a difference in saturation but it's already kind of crazy at 9 o' clock.

Was there a v2 that used the other pots (mine is #002) or the gain just so cray on this pedal that even with such a pot you can't dial anything more in between?

The audio/log pot used to be an option you had to ask for. These days it seems he just uses that one always.

Yours being #2, prob does not have that swap, unless whomever sold it to you said so.

Jero

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby goroth » Sat Aug 01, 2020 1:58 pm

This is what the original HM-2 is like. 90% of the travel does nothing.

And that’s fine by me.

Spotify /// Apple Music
goroth

HERO
HERO

Postby goroth » Sat Aug 01, 2020 2:06 pm

I hear you man. Log pot is probably way better. But the pot functioning as an on-off switch is exactly how the original works.

Spotify /// Apple Music
goroth

HERO
HERO

Postby goosekevin » Sat Aug 01, 2020 8:23 pm

this thread has got me really wanting an hm2 variant
Derelict78 wrote:That probably sounds awful in the best possible way.
goosekevin

Supporter
Supporter

Postby mathias » Sun Aug 02, 2020 7:36 pm

I’m getting a Throat Locust. I’ve had an Arion Metal Master for close to 20 years now (it was my first pedal), and still have it (although it is beat up, missing the battery door, etc) and wanted something true bypass and with a little more range. Got the purple sparkle finish and I am excited.

(FWIW the Metal Master does have a wide range of gain sounds on the gain knob. Overdrive to distortion to total chainsaw.)
ILF Equipped :love:

skullservant wrote:You can like whatever you want so long as it makes you happy

Searching for that new sound.
If you can read this, then I'm back? :?:
mathias

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby gila_crisis » Mon Feb 22, 2021 12:01 pm

The otherday I had a bit of time and did a quick plug'n'play demo of the Throat Locust.
I love this pedal so much, there's a ton of sounds achievable with that EQ and clipping switch!

I have 2 of these, pictured in the video is a 2020 purple sparkle unit. The Other I have is a 2017 black, which has a trim pot inside to tailor the available max gain (of course I maxed it out, so that you have a bit more gain than the 2020 model). Soundwise they are the same, more or less, but I have feeling the newer models have a bit more range on the high and mid pots (while the old one has overall a slightly bit more mid hump).

gila_crisis

experienced
experienced

PreviousNext

Return to General Gear