Meris? Blade Runnery? Ottobit, Polymoon & Enzo!!

Moderator: Ghost Hip

Re: Meris? Blade Runner inspired reverb? & Ottobits too!!!

Postby Jwar » Sat Jun 17, 2017 11:33 am

Ev_O))) wrote:
jwar wrote: I also though about getting the modular version. I could see it being much more useful that way since I have that Folktek incoming in the next couple of months.

Hey man just a heads up, the rack mountable ottobit is a 500 series module, not a eurorack/synth module, so there would be no added benefit or extra interfacing ability with ya folktek stuff, it's still a straight ahead audio processing unit. Also, it's more $ and mono.

Well fuck, that's good to know! Thanks for the heads up!

UC, I was just razzing you bro! hahaha
"I do not have the ability to think rationally 90% of the time and I also change my mind at the drop of a hat".

-JWAR :)
Jwar

Cosmic of BILF
Cosmic of BILF

Postby UglyCasanova » Sat Jun 17, 2017 12:31 pm

I don't kindly to humor
UglyCasanova

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Adamixoye » Tue Jun 27, 2017 10:49 pm

Okay, so I have an Ottobit Jr. on the way. I e-mailed Meris about proper MIDI adapters, and they did some research and got back to me. It was nice!

So I feel bad that I'm about to complain.

It just doesn't make any sense to me that they adopt TRS-style MIDI that requires a Disaster Area or Empress converter box but they recommend that you need to mod the box! (At least for the Empress, I'm not sure if you need to mod the Disaster Area box or not.) My MIDI chain is a Zivix PUC+ --> Beat Buddy --> Source Audio Reflex --> Boss SY-300 --> MIDI Solutions Quadra Thru (the SY-300 powers the Quadra Thru), then the Quadra Thru goes out to everything else. Is there any chance this will work with just a 5-pin DIN to TRS cable without using a converter box? And why are there three different standards for TRS MIDI between Empress, Chase Bliss, and Meris?
Adamixoye

interested
interested

Postby Jwar » Wed Jun 28, 2017 9:39 am

I was curious about this as well. I don't want to use the Disaster Area for my Merc7. I'm wanting to use the Boss ES8.
"I do not have the ability to think rationally 90% of the time and I also change my mind at the drop of a hat".

Jwar

Cosmic of BILF
Cosmic of BILF

Postby Adamixoye » Wed Jun 28, 2017 1:44 pm

jwar wrote:I was curious about this as well. I don't want to use the Disaster Area for my Merc7. I'm wanting to use the Boss ES8.

Well, maybe I'll get a cable and test it out. Because of our e-mail conversation they got a cable and tested some things out; they basically said that it was dicey and depended on the output device. I never followed up with specifics on my chain like I did in the post above---I doubt they will be replicating that entire setup. But maybe they at least have a Quadra Thru to test?
Adamixoye

interested
interested

Postby Adamixoye » Sun Jul 02, 2017 6:50 pm

So I think I'm going to proceed with just doing one of the boxes. I lean toward the Empress over the Disaster Area because it's cheaper, but as I posted above, I heard somewhere (this thread? definitely on TalkBass) that the V1 needs to be modded for the best performance. I am trying to confirm whether or not this is true of the V2.

Anybody have any experience?
Adamixoye

interested
interested

Postby Jwar » Mon Jul 03, 2017 9:40 am

I think it was here and it was a TB member that said it. LOL. I'll have to look through the thread. I think Fretnomore said it. Is that the right name?? LOL

Jwar

Cosmic of BILF
Cosmic of BILF

Postby Adamixoye » Mon Jul 03, 2017 9:42 am

jwar wrote:I think it was here and it was a TB member that said it. LOL. I'll have to look through the thread. I think Fretnomore said it. Is that the right name?? LOL

Yeah on TB it was Fret. He's not sure about the V1 vs. V2 thing. I don't know if he or anyone else posted about it here.

ALSO: 30 pages and everyone is suddenly silent? Come on guys! :) :hello:
Adamixoye

interested
interested

Postby Jwar » Mon Jul 03, 2017 10:34 am

Adamixoye wrote:
jwar wrote:I think it was here and it was a TB member that said it. LOL. I'll have to look through the thread. I think Fretnomore said it. Is that the right name?? LOL

Yeah on TB it was Fret. He's not sure about the V1 vs. V2 thing. I don't know if he or anyone else posted about it here.

I'm silent because you have my old unit. LOL!!! I'll comment more when I'm able to get one again. :)

Also, those dudes on TGP are much more responsive about this stuff. I don't think hardly any ILF member have this.

Jwar

Cosmic of BILF
Cosmic of BILF

Postby Adamixoye » Mon Jul 03, 2017 10:49 am

jwar wrote:
Adamixoye wrote:

I'm silent because you have my old unit. LOL!!! I'll comment more when I'm able to get one again. :)

Also, those dudes on TGP are much more responsive about this stuff. I don't think hardly any ILF member have this.

Ha, yeah I forgot that this is yours via Som.

I'm never on TGP, I don't know if I've ever even posted there. But maybe I'll give it a shot...
Adamixoye

interested
interested

Postby Jwar » Mon Jul 03, 2017 10:59 am

It's always going to be from one of us no matter what it is. LOL!!

Here's the thread for reference though!

https://www.thegearpage.net/board/index ... 93/page-23

Jwar

Cosmic of BILF
Cosmic of BILF

Postby njschneider2 » Wed Jul 05, 2017 10:42 am

Sorry, are you asking what mod needs to be done on the MIDIbox to make it compatible with Meris stuff? If so, the only MIDIboxes - to my knowledge - that are factory-ready compatible with Meris stuff are the newest Disaster Area Designs Midiboxes for Chase Bliss (the white ones). Those are just modified Empress boxes, so if you have on of those, you need to change on of the resistors near the TRS jacks to 100ohms or less. In fact, if you don't have a resistor or don't want to deal with swapping them out, you can simply create a solder bridge instead. Joel did this to my FAVES when he was seeing if it was compatible with the Ottobit, and it worked like a charm.

Not sure if that's what you needed, or if it was unclear. But I hope it helps!
njschneider2

involved
involved

Postby njschneider2 » Wed Jul 05, 2017 10:44 am

Shoot - I now see that you already knew all of that about the midiboxes. Looks like you were just wanting a 5 pin to 1/4" jack, huh? If that's the case, I'm as lost as you!
njschneider2

involved
involved

Postby Adamixoye » Wed Jul 05, 2017 11:01 am

njschneider2 wrote:Sorry, are you asking what mod needs to be done on the MIDIbox to make it compatible with Meris stuff? If so, the only MIDIboxes - to my knowledge - that are factory-ready compatible with Meris stuff are the newest Disaster Area Designs Midiboxes for Chase Bliss (the white ones). Those are just modified Empress boxes, so if you have on of those, you need to change on of the resistors near the TRS jacks to 100ohms or less. In fact, if you don't have a resistor or don't want to deal with swapping them out, you can simply create a solder bridge instead. Joel did this to my FAVES when he was seeing if it was compatible with the Ottobit, and it worked like a charm.

Not sure if that's what you needed, or if it was unclear. But I hope it helps!

I ordered one of the Disaster Area ones over the weekend---although I ordered through Rogue Guitar Shop, it was special order (they are a Disaster Area dealer but didn't list them on their website), and I don't know if they are the white ones or not. I assume/hope they're the newest ones. Oh boy, now I'm a little concerned...
Adamixoye

interested
interested

Postby njschneider2 » Fri Jul 07, 2017 12:45 pm

I bet it is. But if it's not, I'll happily mod it for you for free if you pay for shipping. I live in MN in the states - not sure where you are located. If ya don't wanna go that route, though, no worries!
njschneider2

involved
involved

PreviousNext

Return to General Gear