Meris? Blade Runnery? Ottobit, Polymoon & Enzo!!

Moderator: Ghost Hip

Re: Meris? Blade Runner inspired reverb? & Ottobits too!!!

Postby manymanyhaha » Sat Oct 21, 2017 5:31 pm

Sasquatch wrote:
manymanyhaha wrote:
ritz wrote:One is a lot. I'm trying to imagine two at once and failing. Going by my previous pedal math that would be 6 or 8 or 20 pedals worth of modulation. It's entirely possible to have your hands full while hands-on tweaking one. All the same, I like your sense of excess.

I was thinking in parallel, not series since my excess is I play through six amps and have for over a decade. I'm more interested right now in the modulation, maybe replace a TC Helix that I'm a little bored with and a SA Lunar that doesn't work. I realize the Polymoon does flange and chorus, not phase and that's ok.

Haven't seen or heard much of the modulation, the few clips so far have centered on the delay.

The Polymoon also has a pair of phasers. You're going to have way too much fun.

Then I am definitely replacing those two pedals with two of these. Fuck yeah! Looking forward to returning home so I can order a couple and start messin
manymanyhaha

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby echorec » Sat Oct 21, 2017 7:18 pm

So I'm 5 minutes into using the Polymoon, and I wanted to jot down my initial reaction.

Usually when I buy a pedal, I'm expecting a few sounds out of it, that I can really maximize for a particular sound. With the Polymoon, I can already tell it's not a 1...2...or even 5-trick pedal. I'm running a Pocket Piano through it, and I already know there are dozens of exotic sounds inside---should I be able to tear myself away from the initial findings, which are so intoxicatingly spacey and dreamlike.

setting #1: push the Time to nearly minimum and the Feedback to 3:02 (anymore and you'll be damaging your speakers and/or hearing), this will give you a metallic garbage can reverb, which is great for synths or drum machines. It's making my Pocket Piano sound like a modular system running through a Misty Cave. It also reminds me of the trash can setting on the Alesis Ineko. ---Experiment with the other pots to suit your tastes.

setting #2: engage the Slow phaser and set the top pots as follows

Time 2:00
Feedback 2:57
Mix 2:00

I have all the lower pots set at or below 9:00, which is giving me this slowly-evolving, chasing pattern. By increasing the Dynamics pot, you'll be mixing in a beautiful flanger/chorus sound.

The interplay between the phaser and the delay on this pedal is superb. (There's so much going on in this pedal. :!!!: ) I was a bit confused by the product description and the sound clips---I was asking myself, "The control layout is so simple. Where are these sounds coming from?" Once you start playing with it, you'll immediately start to understand how this pedal could be so versatile and so unique.

In less than 5 minutes, I can say the Polymoon has become my new favorite phaser, my new favorite delay, and my overall new favorite piece of music equipment. Flanging, soundscapes, multi-head echoes...there's just so much happening.

(A lengthy intermission was taken here to revisit the Polymoon.)

After plugging a Catalinbread Echorec into a Hologram Infinite Jets into the Polymoon, I just experienced one of the most spectacular sounds I've heard from any combination of pedals before. The MP just adds so much dimension/size/texture/movement to everything I've fed through it so far. I'm going to run a drum machine through it tonight or tomorrow, in order to see what kinds of odd textures and rhythms I can coax out of it.

----If you like dreamy/otherworldly/synth sounds, this is a no-regrets acquisition. Think Broadcast, Stereolab, Neon Indian, Krautrock, et cetera.
echorec

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby friendship » Sat Oct 21, 2017 9:18 pm

resincum wrote:god damn fellarionos, I'm flipping my rv500 for this :)

Can’t the rv500 shimmer mode do the same thing, letting you set the amount the reverb’s pitch is modulated?
sound journal

actualidiot wrote:12-bit's almost analog, right?
friendship

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby MrNovember » Sun Oct 22, 2017 12:09 am

echorec wrote:So I'm 5 minutes into using the Polymoon, and I wanted to jot down my initial reaction.

Usually when I buy a pedal, I'm expecting a few sounds out of it, that I can really maximize for a particular sound. With the Polymoon, I can already tell it's not a 1...2...or even 5-trick pedal. I'm running a Pocket Piano through it, and I already know there are dozens of exotic sounds inside---should I be able to tear myself away from the initial findings, which are so intoxicatingly spacey and dreamlike.

setting #1: push the Time to nearly minimum and the Feedback to 3:02 (anymore and you'll be damaging your speakers and/or hearing), this will give you a metallic garbage can reverb, which is great for synths or drum machines. It's making my Pocket Piano sound like a modular system running through a Misty Cave. It also reminds me of the trash can setting on the Alesis Ineko. ---Experiment with the other pots to suit your tastes.

setting #2: engage the Slow phaser and set the top pots as follows

Time 2:00
Feedback 2:57
Mix 2:00

I have all the lower pots set at or below 9:00, which is giving me this slowly-evolving, chasing pattern. By increasing the Dynamics pot, you'll be mixing in a beautiful flanger/chorus sound.

The interplay between the phaser and the delay on this pedal is superb. (There's so much going on in this pedal. :!!!: ) I was a bit confused by the product description and the sound clips---I was asking myself, "The control layout is so simple. Where are these sounds coming from?" Once you start playing with it, you'll immediately start to understand how this pedal could be so versatile and so unique.

In less than 5 minutes, I can say the Polymoon has become my new favorite phaser, my new favorite delay, and my overall new favorite piece of music equipment. Flanging, soundscapes, multi-head echoes...there's just so much happening.

(A lengthy intermission was taken here to revisit the Polymoon.)

After plugging a Catalinbread Echorec into a Hologram Infinite Jets into the Polymoon, I just experienced one of the most spectacular sounds I've heard from any combination of pedals before. The MP just adds so much dimension/size/texture/movement to everything I've fed through it so far. I'm going to run a drum machine through it tonight or tomorrow, in order to see what kinds of odd textures and rhythms I can coax out of it.

----If you like dreamy/otherworldly/synth sounds, this is a no-regrets acquisition. Think Broadcast, Stereolab, Neon Indian, Krautrock, et cetera.

Please stop!

Actually, fuck it, I'm just going to go sell my 4046-m to fund one of these
MrNovember

Modulae of BILF
Modulae of BILF

Postby Jwar » Sun Oct 22, 2017 12:44 am

AlexanderPedals wrote:
Jesus Was a Robot wrote:I read the manual for the Disaster Area stuff and I think I may just have to break down and contact them. Isn't Alexander the same company??

Yes. Yes we are. Here to help if you need anything.

Sent you a big old email last night. LOL. Hope you can help me. :(
"I do not have the ability to think rationally 90% of the time and I also change my mind at the drop of a hat".

-JWAR :)
Jwar

Cosmic of BILF
Cosmic of BILF

Postby Sasquatch » Mon Oct 23, 2017 7:25 pm

snipejd wrote:Hey Angelo!
I use FL Studio or Ableton to send out tempos to a Midi Splitter / Thru Box which has single lines out to my board, electribe2, and I was hoping to send one as well to the Otto as well as have a preset box for the Otto.

That will work. Especially if you set FL Studio or Ableton to send Program Change messages and Expression Pedal data (CC #4)
Angelo Mazzocco
DSP Engineer / VP
http://www.meris.us
Sasquatch

involved
involved

Postby Sasquatch » Mon Oct 23, 2017 8:00 pm

echorec wrote:----If you like dreamy/otherworldly/synth sounds, this is a no-regrets acquisition. Think Broadcast, Stereolab, Neon Indian, Krautrock, et cetera.

Thanks so much echorec! I'm glad you are enjoying dialing in the Polymoon.
Angelo Mazzocco
DSP Engineer / VP
Sasquatch

involved
involved

Postby affectperdals » Mon Oct 23, 2017 8:13 pm

I made this it's own post but I'm gonna drop the link here too, since people are talking about the Polymoon. My favorite normal setting is dotted 1/8 notes, dial the filter back to make it a little darker and set the early and late delay ALT settings to about 3 o'clock. I'm really happy with the way this video turned out and I'm also super happy with the Polymoon in general.
affectperdals

committed
committed

Postby Muse FTW » Mon Oct 23, 2017 8:15 pm

Well, I went and did it.

Instantly fell in love with the Mercury7. Ottobit was easy to love with the fuzz/bitcrush side or the harmonic ring mod tones, and all of that is besides the absolutely insane sequencer which I haven't even begun to crack. The Polymoon is very interesting. When you use a lot of Dimension it becomes quite the ambient machine and almost sits somewhere between a faux reverb/delay fusion, but I prefer it on settings with a more defined delay. It pairs ridiculously well with the Mercury7 and creates such a unique vibe... it's quite inspirational.

Will record some videos soon.
Muse FTW

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby affectperdals » Mon Oct 23, 2017 8:21 pm

Muse FTW wrote:Well, I went and did it.

Instantly fell in love with the Mercury7. Ottobit was easy to love with the fuzz/bitcrush side or the harmonic ring mod tones, and all of that is besides the absolutely insane sequencer which I haven't even begun to crack. The Polymoon is very interesting. When you use a lot of Dimension it becomes quite the ambient machine and almost sits somewhere between a faux reverb/delay fusion, but I prefer it on settings with a more defined delay. It pairs ridiculously well with the Mercury7 and creates such a unique vibe... it's quite inspirational.

Oh yea baby that's what I'm talking about!
affectperdals

committed
committed

Postby MrNovember » Mon Oct 23, 2017 8:45 pm

Muse FTW wrote:Well, I went and did it.

BILF

That being said, I still haven't really looked into the Ottobit. I probably shouldn't...
MrNovember

Modulae of BILF
Modulae of BILF

Postby manymanyhaha » Mon Oct 23, 2017 9:34 pm

Have to admit that I haven't been able to get into the Mercury7 too much but after seeing Blade Runner 2049 today at a theater with great sound, I think I have been doing it wrong
manymanyhaha

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby Sasquatch » Mon Oct 23, 2017 11:08 pm

affectperdals wrote:I made this it's own post but I'm gonna drop the link here too, since people are talking about the Polymoon. My favorite normal setting is dotted 1/8 notes, dial the filter back to make it a little darker and set the early and late delay ALT settings to about 3 o'clock. I'm really happy with the way this video turned out and I'm also super happy with the Polymoon in general.

What a great video! You definitely captured the spirit of the Polymoon.
Angelo Mazzocco
DSP Engineer / VP
Sasquatch

involved
involved

Postby titbeard » Tue Oct 24, 2017 10:56 am

In the halloween spirit and with Stranger Things season 2 approaching, I thought I would try to tackle the theme song using the most minimal pedal setup to recreate the already iconic theme song. I think 2017 has been one the strongest years for cutting edge pedal releases in a very long time. Very grateful for companies pushing the envelope like Meris and EHX to name a few. There's an attached blog post in the description for how I got each sound. Hope ya'll dig it!
titbeard

interested
interested

Postby snipejd » Mon Oct 30, 2017 8:13 pm

Sasquatch wrote:
snipejd wrote:Hey Angelo!
I use FL Studio or Ableton to send out tempos to a Midi Splitter / Thru Box which has single lines out to my board, electribe2, and I was hoping to send one as well to the Otto as well as have a preset box for the Otto.

That will work. Especially if you set FL Studio or Ableton to send Program Change messages and Expression Pedal data (CC #4)

Awesome! so to be clear, and sorry for needing it specifically laid out, if I grab a DMC-4 I could use it as a preset box for the Ottobit AND still have it receive tempo for the Ottobiy THRU the DMC4 so that my whole rig stays in time?
snipejd

involved
involved

PreviousNext

Return to General Gear