How some learned to stop worrying and love the spinchip

Moderator: Ghost Hip

Re: How some learned to stop worrying and love the spinchip

Postby AlexanderPedals » Sat Sep 23, 2017 12:02 pm

Eivind August wrote:Joysticks are awesome, you guys are insane. Go back to your euroracks. :p

Console is a ridiculous idea though. I might just be a simple Norwegian philosopher, but is it not the case that one can have eight programs, or "algos", stored on one of these here spinner chips? I believe I read that somewhere...

The Spin FV-1 can access eight programs from a single EEPROM. With EEPROM bank switching you could conceivably access as many programs as you wanted provided you had room for the chips on the PCB and a way to manipulate their address lines. If you want more complexity you could use a microcontroller as an I2C slave and just have the FV-1 talk directly to it, basically emulating the EEPROM in software. In that instance you'd only be limited by the storage space in the microcontroller.

Is it always a great idea to make your product with 8 algorithms? I dunno. It works for Ryan but there are plenty of other folks who just have one or three. My biggest hurdle towards offering more algorithms is a lack of a good way for the user to select them. Rotary switch is okay but a three-way toggle works great and is nice and robust. On our new pedals we are using a pushbutton that can do different functions (hold to access alternate controls, hold it and the footswitch to save presets, etc.) so it's a multitasker.

I think the cartridge idea is fun but ultimately not one that I'd want to pursue.
AlexanderPedals

committed
committed

Postby Bartimaeus » Sun Sep 24, 2017 3:25 pm

Would any of you guys be interested in a breadboard shield for the FV1? I designed one (w/ power+filtering) to make designing my own pedals easier, and it seems like some other folks in this thread might be interested.
Bartimaeus

experienced
experienced

Postby DRodriguez » Sun Sep 24, 2017 3:34 pm

I would!
DRodriguez

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Eivind August » Mon Sep 25, 2017 7:45 am

AlexanderPedals wrote:
Eivind August wrote:Joysticks are awesome, you guys are insane. Go back to your euroracks. :p

Console is a ridiculous idea though. I might just be a simple Norwegian philosopher, but is it not the case that one can have eight programs, or "algos", stored on one of these here spinner chips? I believe I read that somewhere...

The Spin FV-1 can access eight programs from a single EEPROM. With EEPROM bank switching you could conceivably access as many programs as you wanted provided you had room for the chips on the PCB and a way to manipulate their address lines. If you want more complexity you could use a microcontroller as an I2C slave and just have the FV-1 talk directly to it, basically emulating the EEPROM in software. In that instance you'd only be limited by the storage space in the microcontroller.

Is it always a great idea to make your product with 8 algorithms? I dunno. It works for Ryan but there are plenty of other folks who just have one or three. My biggest hurdle towards offering more algorithms is a lack of a good way for the user to select them. Rotary switch is okay but a three-way toggle works great and is nice and robust. On our new pedals we are using a pushbutton that can do different functions (hold to access alternate controls, hold it and the footswitch to save presets, etc.) so it's a multitasker.

I think the cartridge idea is fun but ultimately not one that I'd want to pursue.

My comment was tongue in cheek, referring to an earlier (hilarious) discussion on the forum. Your pedals are fine, the Syntax Error looks particularly amazing. I personally think it's good that each pedal focuses in on one specific sonic niche (though more knobs for more control would be cool - I guess the spin chip is limited to three digital controls?).

The point is that having one program on each chip (or cartridge or EEPROM or whatever), and then changing them in and out of a console to get different effects sounds stupid (to me). Seems that something like the Drolo Molecular-thingy or the Bitquest would be a better solution for "I can make this box do anything". On the other hand, I'm not a fan of too many diverse modes in a single pedal, so my opinion might not reflect people who are into this stuff.
https://irerror.bandcamp.com/

friendship wrote:You motherfuckers think I won't fuck up a couple octoroks and assemble the Triforce?

Deals:
NSFW: show
succor, UncleBBQ, jerms, marco.desan, jwar, robapov, Tom Dalton, Gigahearts_FX, frigid midget, K2000, Tristan, untilshewokeme, backwardsvoyager, Strange Tales, brandsmannen, Ugly Casanova, goroth, Abanoise, Casavettes, multi_s, oldangelmidnight, Jero, Inconuucl, Dungus, christianatl, doralin, Wittgenstein, worra, D.o.S, rfurtkamp, blankfield, sillyfabe
Eivind August

HERO
HERO

Postby Bartimaeus » Mon Sep 25, 2017 1:14 pm

DRodriguez wrote:I would!

Awesome!

Here's a pic of my demo board... I'm thinking of going with a red or green pcb for the final (since I need to flip the pins on the backwards rectifier that's hanging off the side).

Wired like that it already works perfectly for line-level signals, but it needs basic buffers on either side to keep noise down with guitar/bass.
Bartimaeus

experienced
experienced

Postby Strange Tales » Mon Sep 25, 2017 1:22 pm

AlexanderPedals wrote:

I believe the I2C slave is how the Dervish Multi-FX Eurorack unit works.

I'd link the Muff thread but thats down right now, so here: https://www.modulargrid.net/e/other-unknown-dervish
木枯らし // 木漏れ日 // 風に綱は戦ぐ

Strange Tales Distro - Japanese Underground Music Distribution in the US

Invisible Man wrote:Strange Tales: putting the ‘weeb’ in ‘dweeb’ since whenever.
Strange Tales

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby UglyCasanova » Thu May 17, 2018 4:39 am

Someone's going for it: https://www.modquest-fv1.com/product-pa ... dification

Send in YOUR Bitquest Pedal

When it returns to you....

Bypass Footswitch will be relocated to lower right. A hole plug will be added to original drill hole.
Adds a momentary stomp (SCI Brand, same as bypass) to provide additional functionality of Control #2 at lower left. This also allows for programs utilizing tap tempo, as well as latching programs, such as a Hold or Freeze effect.
A HI-LO two position toggle added to front face which sets whether the momentary stomp zeroes or maxes out Control #2.
Also included is replacement of the Fuzz side EEPROM flash memory with your choice of Eight custom programs. Similar Fuzz programs to stock are available. See list of Available programs here . Check them out!
Original Fuzz side EEPROM will be returned.
Purchasers of the mod are granted unlimited $10 Programmed EEProm purchases; fee associated with programming and shipping the EEProm. As new patches are created, they will be available to mod purchasers.
UglyCasanova

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Seance » Thu May 17, 2018 7:46 am

UglyCasanova wrote:Someone's going for it: https://www.modquest-fv1.com/product-pa ... dification

Send in YOUR Bitquest Pedal

When it returns to you....

Bypass Footswitch will be relocated to lower right. A hole plug will be added to original drill hole.
Adds a momentary stomp (SCI Brand, same as bypass) to provide additional functionality of Control #2 at lower left. This also allows for programs utilizing tap tempo, as well as latching programs, such as a Hold or Freeze effect.
A HI-LO two position toggle added to front face which sets whether the momentary stomp zeroes or maxes out Control #2.
Also included is replacement of the Fuzz side EEPROM flash memory with your choice of Eight custom programs. Similar Fuzz programs to stock are available. See list of Available programs here . Check them out!
Original Fuzz side EEPROM will be returned.
Purchasers of the mod are granted unlimited $10 Programmed EEProm purchases; fee associated with programming and shipping the EEProm. As new patches are created, they will be available to mod purchasers.

Huh. Interesting.
Seance

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby Jwar » Thu May 17, 2018 9:29 am

Takes the fun out of the whole thing IMO.
"I do not have the ability to think rationally 90% of the time and I also change my mind at the drop of a hat".

-JWAR :)
Jwar

Cosmic of BILF
Cosmic of BILF

Postby drolo » Thu May 17, 2018 9:37 am

they mess with the souls of pedals

drolo

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby Jwar » Thu May 17, 2018 9:45 am

Not sure about the souls but they sure void the warranties. :)
"I do not have the ability to think rationally 90% of the time and I also change my mind at the drop of a hat".

-JWAR :)
Jwar

Cosmic of BILF
Cosmic of BILF

Postby BetterOffShred » Thu May 17, 2018 9:47 am

I really want to get a regular Bitquest at some point .. but I listened to the samples from the above link and they were alright. The sample and hold was cool, the harmonic tremolo sounded more like an envelope filter, but still cool. It's all out there for those of us who want to figure it out. I'm still trying to figure out the chip from the original holy grail.
BetterOffShred

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby UglyCasanova » Thu May 17, 2018 10:08 am

I like the two footswitches, but I can't say I thought the programs sounded like anything worthwhile, which means the footswitch isn't really something I'd need. :lol:

Dude behind it has been spamming all the YouTube videos that feature BitQuests with links to his shop, so that's pretty lame marketing too, IMO. I deleted the comment on my video, because I'm a salt-crusted old man. :p
UglyCasanova

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Bartimaeus » Thu May 17, 2018 10:29 am

Bizarre. Mess up your bitquest and replace the awesome dirty modes some super generic fv1 programs... For $110.00 surely it makes more sense to just buy a delay with tap tempo, since that's basically the only benefit you get from this mod?
Bartimaeus

experienced
experienced

Postby drolo » Thu May 17, 2018 10:50 am

also tap tempo is so 2012 ... :D
It's not a bad idea though, I can see it being interesting to some people, depending on the patches they have, how it is executed and on their karma :cool:
drolo

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

PreviousNext

Return to General Gear