Page 4 of 7

Re: Muff with it's own personallity

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2017 10:13 pm
by sergiomunoz74
The musket is a good mention I really like the pedal, but definitely felt like it could've done well with just 4 knobs. I have owned three, and I dont know why I kept selling them when I liked them so much. I guess back then I didnt see the point in having a couple dirt pedals around just in case.

Re: Muff with it's own personallity

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2017 10:15 pm
by Eric!
GNOMERATRON VTF ALL DAY.

Been absolutely LOVING my Mini post-Pretty Years. PY>muff gives the best kind of compressed explosiveness and with a Gnome it is just perfect.

Eau Claire Thunder is a mighty, mighty, mighty beast also, that would be my second choice.

Re: Muff with it's own personallity

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 1:55 am
by fcknoise
I use all the knobs on the musket? I guess the focus is subtle enough to be a switch really, because it's only in the lowest and the highest points that you hear a difference. Preamp knob makes a load of difference and midrange is essential to liking the sound. Don't know what y'all are talking about

Re: Muff with it's own personallity

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 4:02 pm
by Hobbes96
So I've been using a Hoof for the last year or so, and while I like the EQ enough, I find the gain to be a little whimpy. I know it's basically a green russian, but is there a comparable 4-knobber NYCRI? Would the Mojo Hand Colossus do the trick?

Re: Muff with it's own personallity

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 7:17 pm
by sergiomunoz74
Brandsmannen wrote:I use all the knobs on the musket? I guess the focus is subtle enough to be a switch really, because it's only in the lowest and the highest points that you hear a difference. Preamp knob makes a load of difference and midrange is essential to liking the sound. Don't know what y'all are talking about


Well the pre-gain I didn't use because I would just boost it with something else generally although that was a while back. I almost always had the pre-gain knob to zero or like just a tiny bit. The Mid-range knob is absolutely needed and was definitely used a lot, and the focus switch would probably be nice as a switch. I honestly would rather have a switch that makes it go from musket to blunderbuss.

I honestly now wanna buy one again but I figure it shouldnt be too hard to just build one since my perfboard skills are getting a little better.

Re: Muff with it's own personallity

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2017 8:58 am
by fcknoise
sergiomunoz74 wrote:
Brandsmannen wrote:I use all the knobs on the musket? I guess the focus is subtle enough to be a switch really, because it's only in the lowest and the highest points that you hear a difference. Preamp knob makes a load of difference and midrange is essential to liking the sound. Don't know what y'all are talking about


Well the pre-gain I didn't use because I would just boost it with something else generally although that was a while back. I almost always had the pre-gain knob to zero or like just a tiny bit. The Mid-range knob is absolutely needed and was definitely used a lot, and the focus switch would probably be nice as a switch. I honestly would rather have a switch that makes it go from musket to blunderbuss.

I honestly now wanna buy one again but I figure it shouldnt be too hard to just build one since my perfboard skills are getting a little better.


Give it a shot. If you build it try to increase the values on the focus knob (that's gotta be input caps, no?) and get back to me about it. Give it a bit more sweep, that'll be good for it.

Re: Muff with it's own personallity

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2017 4:25 pm
by Eric!
Hobbes96 wrote:So I've been using a Hoof for the last year or so, and while I like the EQ enough, I find the gain to be a little whimpy. I know it's basically a green russian, but is there a comparable 4-knobber NYCRI? Would the Mojo Hand Colossus do the trick?


:thumb:

Re: Muff with it's own personallity

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2017 4:32 pm
by ziltoid
I'm a huge fan of the COG Grand Tarkin.

Re: Muff with it's own personallity

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2018 12:17 am
by Snufkino
NECROBUMP....

Snagged an "Elk Gakki Sustinar" clone and thought it's worth mentioning here. It's basically a Triangle muff with slight value variations and an odd tone cap that gives it a more "open" crunchy tone. Seems like most muff clones go for enhancing the heavier side of things rather than taking this approach so it's a little more interesting in that regard. It's also positive ground with pnp transistors, but I'm not sure how much that's going to matter on the overall tonality compared to the resistor and cap values...

Image

Re: Muff with it's own personallity

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2018 9:14 am
by retinal orbita
I recently sold my Musket - nothing wrong with it but it seemed to be the last muff I reached for. My current lineup is the Tall Font Russian, a Pharoah and an EHX op amp 70’s muff. The OA has always been my favourite hands down and the y’all font Russian is a close second. I really like the Pharoah but I use it more of a lighter OD since it’s the most tweakable of the three.

I’d really like to get a supercollider too

And a W&C civil war too

Re: Muff with it's own personallity

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2018 10:27 pm
by misterstomach
I love muffs and have had a whole bunch of the variants over the years. I didn't even realize the revelation was muff based, but I use one and love it. I also use a tall font green Russian. I think the Russian muffs have tons of personality. Sometimes you have to stack them to get a usable EQ, but they rule.

I had a supercollider that I sold to the other guitarist in my band and that thing rules. I've always kind of regretted selling it, but it sounds so good with him playing it and I still benefit from that. It's not a low gain pedal. I don't know why someone said that. Would probably be a top recommendation for what you want, but it is very "distortion-y".

I've always regretted selling my hoof too. I did not find it boring. It had tons of volume, very tweakable mids and was heavy as fuck. I'd love to try a cloven hoof. Never tried stacking it, but I loved it.

Pharaoh is awesome. Everyone should have one. I currently have the badascan, which is a pharaoh/lstr combo and it's my favorite out of those three. That pedal was born for stacking. The EQ is really cool.

I sold the musket cause I thought it was kind of bland. Very tweakable. But somehow didn't do it for me. Of all my muff variants, it could be dialed in closest to the real civil war/tall font sound, which is noteworthy, but it's "super muff" and "muff with mids" sounds fell short (for me) of the other muff based pedals I had or even just stacking Russian muffs with other stuff. Kind of lacked personality.

I used to stack my civil war with an OCD in front and it was crazy awesome. I currently have a boneshaker in front of a tall font and it's probably my favorite yet. I know Russian muffs have gotten stupid expensive, but if you can find a faithful clone and stack it with a good utility pedal, I think that's the way to go.

Re: Muff with it's own personallity

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2018 9:51 am
by fcknoise
This makes me want another muff. I've been wanting a supercollider for literal years, I don't know how I haven't ended up with one yet.

Re: Muff with it's own personallity

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2018 2:32 pm
by greenmario
I just got a White Elk and it kicks dick. Not the sweet big box just the normie little one. I had just a byoc muff for the longest time, and this in comparison sounds less grainy and less smooth. I think this might have those “harmonics” the dads keep talking about. Still need to run some oscillating delays into it to make sure it’s a keeper.

Re: Muff with it's own personallity

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2018 2:43 pm
by D Rock
I'm working on a overdone muff at the moment but I doubt it will be anything that makes it to market. I have a harmonic perc as the input stage, 2 clipping stages where I plan to use germanium transistors(waiting on the mail) with selectable clipping options(LED,silicon, germ, bypass). Also doing adjustable clipping caps to control which frequencies are clipped(this is one of my favorite muff mods), it's super nice to let a majority of the signal pass through unclipped and just take the top end off. Either way I'm working on circuit boards now and hoping that these germanium transistors sound good in there. :!!!: :!!!:

Re: Muff with it's own personallity

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2018 3:29 pm
by D.o.S.
Badascan, Supercollider, and Grey Stashe are my favorite commercially available muffs.

Always wanted to try a Gnometron.

My favorite is the one Schlatte made for me for ILFSS2014, though.