Muff with it's own personallity

Moderator: Ghost Hip

Re: Muff with it's own personallity

Postby sylnau » Mon Aug 27, 2018 8:17 am

This is an old tread. I tried some... I tried the White ELK... Muff are still not for me.
"I can't understand why people are frightened of new ideas. I'm frightened of the old ones." --John Cage

http://www.youtube.com/sylnau
sylnau

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Chankgeez » Mon Aug 27, 2018 8:27 am

I was gonna say, Syl hates Muffs. :idk:

I :love: 'em though. :snax:
psychic vampire. wrote:The important take away from this thread: Taoism and Ring Modulators go together?
…...........................…
Sweet dealin's: here
"Now, of course, Strega is not a Minimoog… and I am not Sun Ra" - dude from MAKENOISE
#GreenRinger
Chankgeez

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Location: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FGhbeHujNZQ youtube.com/watch?v=V-2l7kkBURc

Postby sylnau » Mon Aug 27, 2018 8:50 am

Fuzzface are the best for doom. :animal:
"I can't understand why people are frightened of new ideas. I'm frightened of the old ones." --John Cage

http://www.youtube.com/sylnau
sylnau

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby comesect2.0 » Mon Aug 27, 2018 10:25 am

just gonna say over this past yr...havent gotten much muff, but I do now LOVE everything about my red army muff overdrive made by MSL....could never hold on to sovtek/shin/triangle companion stuff...so after selling off some shit and buying up two d*a*m pedals Ive come to understand that LUCIFER RISING olympia is the best fucking sounds tickle your ears good, fuzz knob all way down still is so good...and that treble knob is god. now I want a rotosound1960.
wasnt too taken by the blackacid fuzz cuz im not a heavy guitar player & I figure if you want that sound without 3 knobs, the trimmed down version "the black dust" is one knob, and all you need if your not gonna be sculpting, just thrash....but ya the lucifer rising has two versions and I swear the version I dont have, was on ebay yesterday, posted from a guy in my county, but now its gone! and not on the recently viewed or sold list :eek: ..and I really want to try a DOPE PRIEST!! anyone that has one and wants trade for a wacky synth pm me.
seems like the only people who use muffs that im aware of are hnw fucks.
Last edited by comesect2.0 on Mon Aug 27, 2018 10:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
comesect2.0

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby shikawkee » Mon Aug 27, 2018 10:28 am

The DAG Jetfuzz is a blend of Muff and Tonebender. LOTS of personality. The SUF Muff's are pretty great as well IMO.
Singer-songwriter, composer and author. I also manufacture and distribute Gary Hall designed and endorsed Lexicon PCM42 mods. Owner of HOSAT Effects. BETA tester for Line 6 and Eventide.
shikawkee

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby ts50b » Mon Aug 27, 2018 2:56 pm

I recently realized that I just don’t like Muffs (besides the Muff fuzz and Double Muff which I absolutely love, but they’re different). The best one I’ve played is the Fuzz Peaks, but it barely sounds like a muff. The Pelitaur is pretty cool too, it blends between a muff and a fuzz face, but it still gets a little too scooped for me
ts50b

committed
committed

Postby BetterOffShred » Mon Aug 27, 2018 4:15 pm

I think the Pharaoh is magic as mentioned above. The Runoff Groove 22/7 is pretty dope too for a CMOS muff ..
BetterOffShred

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby frodog » Mon Aug 27, 2018 4:43 pm

Feel like I've written this before, but I had a Basic Audio Tri/Ram for a while and sold it to a friend who really loves it. I did too, but it didn't fit my setup as much as it does with his blackface Twin and single-coil guitars.

Definitely want to get a muff again, though. Possibly build one. Anyone tried the Aion electronics Corvus? Think I have the components for that already, just need the pcb.
frodog

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby dubkitty » Tue Aug 28, 2018 11:50 am

most Muffs are too gain-y for me. i have a W&C Tall Font Russian that i like a lot, though. if i was to look at another Muff-type it'd be the Eau Claire Thunder.
In girum imus nocte et consumimur igni

FIFTY YEARS OF SCARING THE CHILDREN 1970-2020--and i'm not done yet

DUBZ ÄLTER LOOPZ (2012-14): https://soundcloud.com/dubkitteh-1/sets/early-works-2012-14

DUBZ LOOPZ 2: Electronic Renaissance coming soon to a Soundcloud near you!
dubkitty

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Location: somewhere between Never-Never Land and Wonderland, in a place called Never Wonder Land

Postby D.o.S. » Tue Aug 28, 2018 12:21 pm

Too. Gainy.

good deals are here.
escapecraft is here.
UglyCasanova wrote: It's not the expensive programs you use, it's the way you click and drag.

Achtane wrote:
comesect2.0 wrote:Michael Jackson king tut little Richard in your butt.

IT'S THE ENNNND OF THE WORRRLD AS WE KNOW IT
D.o.S.

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Snufkino » Tue Aug 28, 2018 1:12 pm

greenmario wrote:I just got a White Elk and it kicks dick. Not the sweet big box just the normie little one. I had just a byoc muff for the longest time, and this in comparison sounds less grainy and less smooth. I think this might have those “harmonics” the dads keep talking about. Still need to run some oscillating delays into it to make sure it’s a keeper.

Try dialling your guitar volume down. I love how my Elk Gakki clone sounds when doing that with delay/reverb. Has a nice 'open' fuzz tone without becoming to thin/flat.

comesect2.0 wrote:00.02
I really want to try a DOPE PRIEST!! anyone that has one and wants trade for a wacky synth pm me.
seems like the only people who use muffs that im aware of are hnw fucks.

I've tried the Ram's Head Dope Priest, but it was too smooth. Like too perfect. It was like the Ram's head circuit had been taken to it's natural conclusion, but for me that just proved a bit boring. It was heavy without being muddy, and crisp rather than trebley, but I just couldn't get excited about it.
Snufkino

experienced
experienced

Postby MechaGodzilla » Tue Aug 28, 2018 1:29 pm

the sovtek-type Priest is like the opposite. a fat boomy muff bred for drop tunings and bass. not the most versatile but one of my favs.
MechaGodzilla

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby tremolo3 » Tue Aug 28, 2018 1:34 pm

Tried the new russian Muff from EHX last night, it's amazing how shitty it sounded through my rig with the tone knob set to anything other than full clockwise, but what a glorious sound once it's there.
John wrote:"guys play quiet, listen to my small costly device."

PumpkinPieces wrote:Fer shoogaze

tuffteef wrote:all you need is a big muff and feelings
tremolo3

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby frigid midget » Tue Aug 28, 2018 1:43 pm

tremolo3 wrote:Tried the new russian Muff from EHX last night, it's amazing how shitty it sounded through my rig with the tone knob set to anything other than full clockwise, but what a glorious sound once it's there.

I can't decide which one to get, so I'm holding out for a EHX Russian+Opamp combo muff :snax:

Come to think of it...Doesn't anyone build a muff that's got ALL versions on board? Sorta like the jhs muffuletta but without the hefty price tag and meh reviews.
I'm not much of a big muff guy anymore, so if I do decide to get one just for the sake of having at least one muff in my arsenal, it'd have to be cheap and versatile :)
Last edited by frigid midget on Tue Aug 28, 2018 1:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
frigid midget

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby tremolo3 » Tue Aug 28, 2018 1:56 pm

frigid midget wrote:Come to think of it...Doesn't anyone build a muff that's got ALL versions on board? Sorta like the jhs muffulettan but without the hefty price tag and meh reviews.
I'm not much of a big muff guy anymore, so if I do decide to get one just for the sake of having at least one muff in my arsenal, it'd have to be cheap and versatile :)

The EHX Deluxe seems to have all the right parameters to get you there, if it only had presets :lol:
John wrote:"guys play quiet, listen to my small costly device."

PumpkinPieces wrote:Fer shoogaze

tuffteef wrote:all you need is a big muff and feelings
tremolo3

IAMILF
IAMILF

PreviousNext

Return to General Gear