Red Panda Tensor

Moderator: Ghost Hip

Re: Red Panda Tensor

Postby codetocontra » Sun Mar 03, 2019 12:55 am

zoooombiex wrote:I still like mine. It's not perfect (IMO) but it has a ton of flexibility in a tiny package and sounds great at what it does.

I haven't done the very latest update, but I did the earlier one that they said fixed all the clicks and stuff and I found there were still some remaining.

Please report back if you get around to updating it again. I don't expect all the issues to get resolved and this pedal will remain at the top of my list of worst pedals I've owned.
codetocontra

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby Glitches&switches » Tue Mar 19, 2019 12:34 pm

codetocontra wrote:
zoooombiex wrote:I still like mine. It's not perfect (IMO) but it has a ton of flexibility in a tiny package and sounds great at what it does.

I haven't done the very latest update, but I did the earlier one that they said fixed all the clicks and stuff and I found there were still some remaining.

Please report back if you get around to updating it again. I don't expect all the issues to get resolved and this pedal will remain at the top of my list of worst pedals I've owned.

I have the v1.1 update and a much more compact version of the preset switches, mine has two switches in a tiny box with a toggle to make the two switches into four to save space. The functionality of this thing is HUGE! And now with an updated and expanded manual online it's so much easier to see all of the limitless possibilities and potential this thing has to offer. The biggest downside I see to this pedal is the need to have to reprogram your footswitch or expression pedal settings, so far it seems pretty quick and easy to do so not a huge complaint although it would be amazing to have two control ports to use an expression pedal and a remote switch at the same time but you can ask for the world!
Glitches&switches

committed
committed

Postby Jwar » Tue Mar 19, 2019 6:26 pm

codetocontra wrote:

Honestly, most of the issues were easy to work around IMO. I feel you though. I felt the same way. I'd hit it again though.
"I do not have the ability to think rationally 90% of the time and I also change my mind at the drop of a hat".

-JWAR :)
Jwar

Cosmic of BILF
Cosmic of BILF

Postby codetocontra » Tue Mar 19, 2019 11:24 pm

I am not falling for your troll job, Jwar. :hug:
codetocontra

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby humandingus » Mon Jun 10, 2019 4:25 pm

Has anyone here had any issues with volume boosts and cuts when engaging the pedal and/or looping phrases? My overall signal seems to get louder when I click it on. It then gets quieter when I’m looping and have the blend set near 50/50.
humandingus

committed
committed

Postby $harkToootth » Sat Sep 28, 2019 7:11 pm

Any one see these https://reverb.com/item/21192738-analog ... for-tensor
There's a Tensor for $222 and free shipping right now. Might snag it. Then may consider one these down the line.
As the ratio of projects to complete to projects completed continues to grow ...
EDIT: Shit... bought it... fuck. I'm most excited to run the ole ms-20 mini through it.
"SWIPE LEFT ASSHOLE!" -retinal orbita
"Whatever ASSHOLE here’s my pedal that makes humpback whale noises and also it has a built in sequencer so stick it in your craw! -retinal orbita
"Patty Mullen takes me from a ball peen to a sledge" -The Great Velvet Hammer
"...at this exact moment Divine has learned of your jealous scheme from the local town gossip. She also has your address, ASS HOLE!" -Narrator (Mr. J) PINK FLAMINGOS
1 bird per post please
$harkToootth

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby JM Charcot » Sun Sep 29, 2019 2:31 am

explore new sound.

A collection of music written around the Red Panda Lab Tensor time warp effect pedal, by some of our favorite artists and friends who use it. 100% of the proceeds will be going to Michigan based charity Women of Banglatown, a women and girl’s community art organization serving the growing immigrant population in Hamtramck, Michigan. Their mission is to provide a welcoming and culturally-sensitive space for girls and young women within the community.

www.redpandalab.com

Thank you to the various artists for their contributions.
Album artwork by @jessedidthis Jesse Weiss

https://redpandalab.bandcamp.com/album/tensor-tracks
JM Charcot

committed
committed

Postby codetocontra » Sat Nov 30, 2019 4:05 pm

TLDR: Tensor is fixed and rad AF.

I hated my experience with the Tensor, from the first batch of preorders.

Red Panda turned my head when they released the Remote 4 auxiliary switch to expand the Tensor functionality. They tickled my dark black heart when they included the option to set it up as a DL4 style controller. Then they released the schematic to DIY, which won me over a bit, as obviously they want to make money on products but also recognize there aren't many parts in the build. It was a gesture of good will at the very least. The Tensor kept coming up in conversations recently. Saw the Reverb Blackout sale going on and it was like they know me. Two and two equals me buying another Tensor.

Quite pleased to say I was wrong and this pedal is mostly fixed now. My complaints (and many others) about the popping, digital clipping, obscene amount of artifacts...mostly all gone. Only things I heard were using maxed out extreme settings with a short sample, but that actually makes sense because the sample is getting ultra mangled. I am still exploring the Tensor but it really has the best of all glitch pedals inside of it. Many people know my adoration of the HEXE Revolver DX, so it may become a shock to know that the Tensor is challenging it for a place on my (shrinking) pedalboard and a place in my cold, dead heart. That is a discussion for another day.

codetocontra wrote: I don't expect all the issues to get resolved and this pedal will remain at the top of my list of worst pedals I've owned.

The new winner of worst pedal I've owned goes back to the old trophy holder, EQD Organizer.

codetocontra wrote:I'd rather pay for a pedal that works correct to begin with. I use an Echoplex in my rig and I don't have to download a fucking update to get it to work right.

codetocontra wrote:I have no pleasure for paying to be a beta tester for a company who can't get their shit together.

I still stand behind these statements though. The delay in manufacturing should have been a tip off. Would have rather waited another month or two for a good product than a flawed one while waiting for a fix. These are tools. They aren't video games that should require day 1 patches.
codetocontra

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby Dowi » Wed Oct 14, 2020 2:34 pm

Obligatory necrobump'd because of this:
http://www.redpandalab.com/blog/tensor-firmware-12-released/

"Tensor firmware 1.2 is available now on our downloads page.

Tensors built since early 2019 (S/N 67000+) now have:

9.4 second loop time
-or-
stereo input/output
(configured using web editor)
All tensors get:

1/4” TRS MIDI input (using a converter or MIDI controller)
Web-based editor for in-depth editing and saving presets
Numerous fixes and improvements
The web editor makes it easy to configure the Tensor’s control port, bypass mode, input level, input/output channels, and MIDI channel. Edit expression pedal assignments and all parameters, including hidden parameters. Adjustable pitch glide time slides between pitch changes. Loop decay fades out the previous pass while overdubbing to create sheets of sound or fine-tune the loop sampling mode using the Remote 4 or a MIDI controller.
"

9.4 seconds.
I
AM
SO
HYPED.

but also I strongly fear that my Tensor is pre-2019. First thing I'm going to do tomorrow morning is check that, and if that's the case I m going to be HUGELY disappointed.
BIRCH BARK | Solo stuff | Bandcamp - Youtube
HIBAGON | Polyrhythmic Heavy Duo | Bandcamp - Spotyshit
Dowi

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby whoismarykelly » Wed Oct 14, 2020 4:59 pm

My Tensor is from the pre-order period so nothing too exciting for me. Would have been cool to double the loop time though.
whoismarykelly

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby taco satori » Wed Oct 14, 2020 5:13 pm

Kind of a drag. I also got mine from the 2018 pre-order.
Great deals with lordgalvar, filipre, seten, DannDubblewe, PumpkinPieces, backwardsvoyager, DADGBD, jwar, JonnyAngle, dandolin, pd~, Dungus, dminner
taco satori

committed
committed

Postby Paul_C » Wed Oct 14, 2020 7:16 pm

Mine is new enough, but I suspect my computer is not (I'm still using Vista). I tried to update but nothing happened, which I suspect might be due to my aged PC. I'll have to contact Red Panda in the morning and ask.

I do have a laptop with Windows 10 on, but I'll have to retrieve it from my daughter, who borrowed it to write a book on - until she discovered that writing a book is harder than you might think.
Paul_C

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby harpies » Wed Oct 14, 2020 7:21 pm

Nice...versioning that screws over early supporters.
harpies

experienced
experienced

Postby The Eristic » Wed Oct 14, 2020 8:20 pm

They said on FB it's a hardware limitation but they're working on a separate update/upgrade for the earlier units.
Check out my live guitar streams @ http://www.twitch.tv/the_eristic!
The Eristic

experienced
experienced

Postby Dowi » Thu Oct 15, 2020 1:24 am

Just checked, and obviously my Tensor is pre-2019.
:cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:
The extended loop time would be super useful for the use I have of it. If those updates won't come for earlier units I'll see down the line if I can upgrade it with a newer one.
I'm going to update anyway later today to see if those "fixes and improvements" are audible.

They added this note on the blog post:
"We know that some of you are disappointed that you bought earlier Tensors and cannot take advantage of the longer loop time, and we totally understand. Unfortunately, the earlier Tensors use a different processor, have less RAM, and do not have a stereo audio path. The processor used in the later Tensors did not exist when the Tensor was initially released. The extra processing power was needed for the Particle 2, and as a small company it makes sense for us to use common parts across products where possible. All of the other updates, including TRS MIDI input, web editor, and bug fixes. We will continue to support all Tensors. We plan to have a low-cost user-installable upgrade path available in the future, but we do not have a date to announce at this time."
BIRCH BARK | Solo stuff | Bandcamp - Youtube
HIBAGON | Polyrhythmic Heavy Duo | Bandcamp - Spotyshit
Dowi

IAMILF
IAMILF

PreviousNext

Return to General Gear