Red Panda Tensor

Moderator: Ghost Hip

Re: Red Panda Tensor

Postby shikawkee » Sun Mar 04, 2018 5:38 pm

New update. Already installed: http://www.redpandalab.com/downloads#tensor

Follow the instructions in the "read me".
Singer-songwriter, composer and author. I also manufacture and distribute Gary Hall designed and endorsed Lexicon PCM42 mods. Owner of HOSAT Effects. BETA tester for Line 6 and Eventide.
shikawkee

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby zoooombiex » Sun Mar 04, 2018 7:51 pm

shikawkee wrote:New update. Already installed: http://www.redpandalab.com/downloads#tensor

Follow the instructions in the "read me".

Got mine installed. (NOTE: my update failed repeatedly on my mac, but worked the first time on my PC. might just be a fluke, but tried many times and re-downloaded the update and checked the md5)

The update fixed the static-like noise issues I described associated with the hold toggle being in overdub mode

Unfortunately I'm still getting a significant click at the loop seam

And while the overdubbing in time stretch mode is better, I'm still having issues with the amount/type of noise being added - and some pitch issues. I can deal with the aliasing of the overdub (though not ideal), but there is this background poppy/clicky kind of undercurrent to the overdubbed layer that is an issue for me.
zoooombiex

Fantasian of BILF
Fantasian of BILF

Postby damnableman » Mon Mar 05, 2018 1:09 pm

xo
Last edited by damnableman on Sat May 04, 2019 4:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
damnableman

committed
committed

Postby zoooombiex » Mon Mar 05, 2018 1:43 pm

damnableman wrote:Installed the new firmware last night, but haven't had a chance to play it yet. From what you've said, zooooooooooombiex, it sounds like the massive volume leaps in overdub mode are still present. Is it true? If so, that is No Good.

The manual update makes me fearful that they aren't able to fix the clicking. Here's the updated section:
tensor manual 1.1.JPG

And here's the old version for comparison:
tensor manual 1.0.JPG

The volume leaps are not there any more, which is a good thing. And the overall sound of the overdubbed layer is much improved. It's got some aliasing and weirdness, not ideal but probably liveable. But there is a new kind of popping and buzzing undertone that is not good. And the pitch of the overdubbed layer is better, but it still goes off-pitch if you adjust the time control.

And that is a good catch about the new disclaimer in the manual. It makes it sounds like there's nothing else they can/will do about the click, which would be disappointing. The email they sent out about the new firmware suggested otherwise, noting among the changes "- Fixed a click when overdubbing across the loop point." It 100% still has a click when overdubbing across a loop point.

The manual says something slightly different, and suggests the click would only occur when the INITIAL loop records across the seam. I need to double check that. But that still wouldn't address the issue about the click when overdubbing.
zoooombiex

Fantasian of BILF
Fantasian of BILF

Postby Seance » Mon Mar 05, 2018 3:11 pm

Yes. Would be nice to know if you (who have a Tensor) recorded an empty loop and then laid sound over the seam whether there would be a "click" for the subsequent audio layers.
Seance

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby damnableman » Mon Mar 05, 2018 3:15 pm

xo
Last edited by damnableman on Sat May 04, 2019 4:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
damnableman

committed
committed

Postby zoooombiex » Mon Mar 05, 2018 3:52 pm

Seance wrote:Yes. Would be nice to know if you (who have a Tensor) recorded an empty loop and then laid sound over the seam whether there would be a "click" for the subsequent audio layers.

Yep - that's exactly how I tested it. Click every time on the seam.
zoooombiex

Fantasian of BILF
Fantasian of BILF

Postby damnableman » Mon Mar 05, 2018 3:53 pm

xo
Last edited by damnableman on Sat May 04, 2019 4:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
damnableman

committed
committed

Postby tremolo3 » Mon Mar 05, 2018 5:02 pm

tremolo3 wrote:haha this pedal...

Sorry, couldn't wait 5 more months to repost it.
John wrote:"guys play quiet, listen to my small costly device."

PumpkinPieces wrote:Fer shoogaze

tuffteef wrote:all you need is a big muff and feelings
tremolo3

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby damnableman » Mon Mar 05, 2018 5:10 pm

xo
Last edited by damnableman on Sat May 04, 2019 4:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
damnableman

committed
committed

Postby zoooombiex » Mon Mar 05, 2018 5:19 pm

Something else kind of odd I've noticed is that when you press hold to initiate an overdub, it sounds like you hear your dry signal in parallel with a second copy of the dry signal as it is immediately incorporated into the loop.

So, e.g., if you just have a basic loop playing back with no time manipulation, then you initiate an overdub, the dry signal will seem to jump in volume, because you are hearing your actual dry signal along with the dry signal immediately coming through the loop.

Or, if the loop is timestretched and you initiate an overdub, then as you play you will immediately hear the distorted/aliased overdub as you are recording the overdub, in parallel with your dry signal.

So an overdub doesn't just get printed to the loop in the background and then play back the next time the loop comes around. Some part of it feeds directly through to the output immediately as you are recording the overdub. Not sure if that could relate to any of the other overdub issues?

On a positive note, it's worth noting that it is super easy to get properly-timed loops on the Tensor, whether in Momentary or Latching mode.
zoooombiex

Fantasian of BILF
Fantasian of BILF

Postby Seance » Mon Mar 05, 2018 5:49 pm

Clips?
Seance

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby zoooombiex » Tue Mar 06, 2018 3:31 pm

New firmware up today http://www.redpandalab.com/downloads#tensor

-Reportedly has more seamless looping
-Also added a script to avoid potential issues with updating on a mac
zoooombiex

Fantasian of BILF
Fantasian of BILF

Postby damnableman » Tue Mar 06, 2018 3:46 pm

xo
Last edited by damnableman on Sat May 04, 2019 4:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
damnableman

committed
committed

Postby zoooombiex » Tue Mar 06, 2018 11:25 pm

zoooombiex wrote:New firmware up today http://www.redpandalab.com/downloads#tensor

-Reportedly has more seamless looping
-Also added a script to avoid potential issues with updating on a mac

Installed update
-mac update app works
-overdubbing across the loop seam does not result in a click

But there are a few combinations of settings that can still cause clicks (e.g., recording a loop of the full 4.8 seconds, or recording a loop and then using certain combinations of hold/dir toggles).

There is also a weird scenario where it will leak through a blip of dry signal even when set to 100% wet.

Hopefully they can resolve those too
zoooombiex

Fantasian of BILF
Fantasian of BILF

PreviousNext

Return to General Gear