Let's devote a few moments to Boss Pitch Shifters

Moderator: Ghost Hip

Re: Let's devote a few moments to Boss Pitch Shifters

Postby Invisible Man » Tue Jan 17, 2017 11:39 am

mysteryroach wrote:I know this is a thread about Boss pitch-shifters, so sorry for the derail. But can anyone tell me if there's any other expression controlled pitch shifters apart from the Boss ones? Preferably with 1590b-sized with all top-jacks?

The only stuff that springs to mind is the EQD peds (Bit Commander, Pitch Bay) but they don't have exp control. EHX Pitchfork isn't too far off, but has...ugh...side jacks.
The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents.

https://soundcloud.com/invisible-man-music
https://bradromans.bandcamp.com/album/figures
Invisible Man

Zen of BILF
Zen of BILF

Postby frigid midget » Tue Jan 17, 2017 12:18 pm

Just got me a PS-3. Still getting to know it, but so far, like I supected, it's quircky and slightly sucky, in a great way. It helps if you're into crystal clear 80s digital delay though. I like analog delays a little more, but in a different way, they both have their own jobs. The digital delay on an RV-3 or PS-3 just cuts through a messy loud mix like a hot knife, and works great with fuzz, which isn't usually the case with murky sounding bbd style delays.

Mode 7 with all the other controls at noon, sounds a bit like the reverse mode on a DD-5. And I can easily dial in a decent faux chorus too. So far so good, fun pedlol if you can find one for the price I paid :p
frigid midget

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby friendship » Tue Jan 17, 2017 12:24 pm

Anyone use them with synths? I had a PS-5 and loved its detune mode and dive bomb effects. I almost never used the actual pitch shifting because it sounded a bit cornball with guitar to me, but maybe it would sound cool with a monophonic synth.
sound journal

actualidiot wrote:12-bit's almost analog, right?
friendship

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby oscillateur » Tue Jan 17, 2017 9:51 pm

friendship wrote:Anyone use them with synths? I had a PS-5 and loved its detune mode and dive bomb effects. I almost never used the actual pitch shifting because it sounded a bit cornball with guitar to me, but maybe it would sound cool with a monophonic synth.

My synth board has five pedals, two of which are PS-3s... Dual detune is great on synths.
oscillateur

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby friendship » Wed Jan 18, 2017 9:28 am

oscillateur wrote:
friendship wrote:Anyone use them with synths? I had a PS-5 and loved its detune mode and dive bomb effects. I almost never used the actual pitch shifting because it sounded a bit cornball with guitar to me, but maybe it would sound cool with a monophonic synth.

My synth board has five pedals, two of which are PS-3s... Dual detune is great on synths.

Sick. What's your thinking for using dual detune rather than a single unit in stereo, getting 2x the detuned voices?
sound journal

friendship

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby hotknife » Wed Jan 18, 2017 9:38 am

FWIW, if detune is a priority, I preferred the HR-2's detune to the PS3 (not that the PS3's is anything to scoff at.) It's pretty rad.
#reversereverbintoprofit #ambientflippershark
hotknife

experienced
experienced

Postby Pepe » Wed Jan 18, 2017 10:56 am

friendship wrote:Anyone use them with synths?

My PS-3 has a bad bypass when I use it with synthesizers (signal clipping), but maybe that's because of the hotter signal.

I really like the PS-3 and I prefer it over the PS-2. The PS-2 is nice and crazy, the PS-3 is a cool Swiss army knife.

Some of you already mentioned the PS-3's reverse mode 7. If you set the pitch shifting to one octave down and run a guitar signal with turned down tone knob through it, it produces a funny cello sound.
Pepe at YouTube and Instagram
Pepe

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby friendship » Wed Jan 18, 2017 11:14 am

Very good to know about the PS-3 impedance.

the HR-2 would be perfect since I would prefer two harmony voices over the dive bomb/trem stuff, but I really wish you could control detune amount like on the PS-5. One of my favorite things to do was put it in detune and twist the knob around for a glitchy dynamic detuning effect.
sound journal

friendship

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby D.o.S. » Wed Jan 18, 2017 1:24 pm

I only use my PS-2 with synths. Sounds great.
good deals are here.
escapecraft is here.
UglyCasanova wrote: It's not the expensive programs you use, it's the way you click and drag.

Achtane wrote:
comesect2.0 wrote:Michael Jackson king tut little Richard in your butt.

IT'S THE ENNNND OF THE WORRRLD AS WE KNOW IT
D.o.S.

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby oscillateur » Wed Jan 18, 2017 11:35 pm

My PS-3s have no issue whatsoever with a line level synth that went through a SS/BS Mini... I think no problem with modular stuff either (I need to check that again). Boss pedals usually have tons of headroom.
oscillateur

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby WayToHip » Thu Jan 19, 2017 12:05 am

I can't remember which Boss pitch shifter it was (expect I know it is the one from the "lonely boy" riff), but I loved it for bass. I like getting diatonic sounding riffs and it did the dive bomb thing well enough. I wish I bought it but I don't use pitch shifting enough to justify the purchase.
Tom Dalton wrote:"I want to be as big as I can if it's going to stop a bullet."
WayToHip

experienced
experienced

Postby Psyre » Thu Jan 19, 2017 10:35 pm

Thanks for the video PP :omg:

I like what I hear with the PS3, so I'll be considering it. I really just want an Eventide H910 I think...

I had a Pitchfork, and may pick up another, I wasn't too impressed with it on non guitar sources.
Psyre

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby sergiomunoz74 » Fri Jan 20, 2017 9:48 am

I use two PS-2's for synths and it sounds great, I use one for shifting and the other for delays. It can sound massive using it right. Although I'm thinking I might sell one again to grab a PS-3 after so much hype on it. Im just waiting to find one for 100 bucks
sergiomunoz74

experienced
experienced

Postby Dowi » Fri Jul 19, 2019 2:06 am

It's time for a good NEEEEEEEEECROBUMP!

ok, somebody offered me a trade with a PS-5, and i sort of want to put my hands on a proper pitch shifter since a few months (I have the one in the Bitquest right now but I use the BQ mainly for other stuff).
Quick answer, is it good for decent pitched harmonies (I don't need dive bombs and stuff like that)? and, most of all, does it keep the integrity of the dry signal (volume, tone, headroom) or it fucks it up?

Thanks fam!
BIRCH BARK | Solo stuff | Bandcamp - Youtube
HIBAGON | Polyrhythmic Heavy Duo | Bandcamp - Spotyshit
Dowi

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby whoismarykelly » Fri Jul 19, 2019 8:35 am

The cool stuff about the PS5 is all in the dive bomb and flutter modes. A Pitch Fork is vastly superior for regular pitch shifting.
whoismarykelly

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

PreviousNext

Return to General Gear