Gear preview 2017

Moderator: Ghost Hip

Gear preview 2017

Postby echorec » Mon Jan 09, 2017 12:47 pm

There's a lot of new gear debuting this year, and much of it extends beyond NAMM. So I'm going to share some highlights and info on products that may not necessarily be on display at the trade shows.

Upcoming releases:

Dreadbox Nyx two-voice desktop synth $679 (Greece) viewtopic.php?f=149&t=55006&p=1167784&hilit=nyx#p1167784

Dogmatek Arctic Wolf filter pedal $319 US (NZ) viewtopic.php?f=149&t=52608&p=1146209&hilit=arctic#p1146209

Subdecay Vagabond tremolo viewtopic.php?f=149&t=53150&start=75

a new Eventide pedal viewtopic.php?f=149&t=55116

Fairfield (Shallow Water?) vibrato pedal viewtopic.php?f=149&t=54343&p=1156465&hilit=fairfield#p1156465

>>>>>

Some highlights for Winter NAMM & beyond...

http://www.guitar-bass.net/features/20- ... ands-2017/

Chase Bliss:
It’s possible we could have up to four new releases next year, but I think two is more realistic. While I can’t speak to specifics, I think that the first product will be something that will satisfy a number of customers who have been asking for this genre of pedal for a long time. I have some other more ‘out there’ products in the works that I’m particularly excited about as well. I haven’t felt this much passion and motivation for new product development since launching the company. If all goes well, we should have some exciting announcements at NAMM 2017.

^^This has to be reverb or dirt, since Joel's tackled modulation and delay.

Dr. Scientist:
I’m working on three new products. First will be a new version of the Frazz Dazzler. It’s getting some new features, like bass and midrange controls, a voltage starve, and a second stomp switch for low/high-gain modes. Next is a new version of the Tremolessence, my optical tremolo. It’s getting a big digital overhaul and will feature MIDI control and tap tempo. The biggest project for next year will be a Eurorack version of the BitQuest with a ton of new features.

Empress:
We’re also working on a new Superdelay 2 pedal, which will incorporate all the new features we developed for our Reverb pedal and more! On the more experimental side of things, we have a (not so) top-secret project called the Zoia. It’s unlike anything we’ve seen out there, and will offer musicians a unique level of control over their effects. That’s all I can say for now!

OBNE:
We are trying to do some weirder stuff for 2017. Weird for us and weird for the customer.

Thorpy FX:
2017 is looking like it’s going to be a crazy year for us. On the near horizon we have the Chain Home and the Veteran, these are part of our vintage reimagined series. Basically, these are pedals that look to the past and improve on it for the present. I’m really loving what we’ve done with these and I’m certain our customers will, too. Further out, we have some really exciting products that we have been collaborating on with the pedal designing legend that is Dan Coggins of Lovetone pedals fame. These are really tricked-out modulation pedals that should blow people away. To cap it all off, we are planning to release our first valve amp, too. I may have to postpone sleep until 2018!

EQD:
I can’t release any specific details, but we’re bringing an exciting time-based modulation effect to NAMM. Later in the year, you can expect some new pedals using the brand-new proprietary DSP platform we introduced with the Avalanche Run. We’re way into using advanced DSP to create unique sounds and provide expanded expressive capabilities.

Dwarfcraft:
We’re working on a few exciting projects, including an analogue delay, a few secret digital machines and the return of our SheFuzz and Baby Thunder. 2017 is our 10-year anniversary, so we’re doing a limited run of a tricked-out Great Destroyer – the first Dwarfcraft Devices pedal. We’re also deep into modular synthesis. We’re working on a long-term project in that world that I think we’ll be showing by next summer.

Catalinbread:
We will be bringing new designs to Winter NAMM that are next-level for us. New formats with expanded possibilities. While 2016 was as difficult as we could possibly imagine, we feel like we’re embarking on a new journey, and we’re excited to see where this new road leads us!

Walrus:
The Monument Tap-Tremolo is next in the release chamber. This thing has an all-analogue signal path with digital LFO, and can switch between standard and harmonic tremolo with the flip of a switch. We have four other products we’re wanting to push out in 2017, so make room on your boards, Walruses!
echorec

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Re: Gear preview 2017

Postby echorec » Mon Jan 09, 2017 12:48 pm

NAMM nuggets:

viewtopic.php?f=149&t=55115

-the first guitars from relaunched amp maker Supro
-Mu-FX (by Mike Beigel) Micro-Tron III
-Way Huge Swollen Pickle MKIIS
-Source Audio Ventris (see below)
-lots of rumblings on new Teenage Engineering products, or at least a production version of the OP-Z video sequencer

speculation and early leaks:

With the discontinuation of the Prophet '08 PE, a lot of people are expecting Dave Smith to reveal a new synth in the coming weeks.

Even though Korg and Roland have shown multiple new products in recents months, it's hard to imagine a NAMM passing without them exhibiting something previously unseen. The same could be said for Yamaha (an expanded version of the Reface or a desktop module?).

The Moog booth is supposed to be doing a tribute to multiple synth pioneers, such as Don Buchla who passed in 2016. No solid news on any new products yet.

Source Audio Ventris (reverb sibling of the Nemesis)

From one of the SA guys on TGP: "The ability to run any 2 reverbs at one time gives not only "true spillover" but lots of other options such as one finds in our One Series distortions. One engine in each channel, stacking, blending, etc. In other words, lots of tone creation options for creating and sharing."

"The intent is to offer 2 models. Single processor for like $299 and dual processor for more like $379. Some of you wanted all the fancy stuff, and others did not. This seemed to be the easy way to address the concern."

Based on these comments I don't expect to see the Ventris for another 3-4 months or more. The Nemesis faced several delays, and this one seems to be a bit short of being ready for production.

[Following the success of its much-heralded Nemesis Delay, Source Audio's new dual-processor-equipped Ventris Reverb is a powerful stereo reverb pedal with 24 distinct effect engines ranging from classic Spring, Plate, and Room sounds to advanced Shimmer, Modulation, and Pitch Shifting reverbs. It features dual DSP hardware, eight onboard presets, true spillover, stereo inputs and outputs, soft bypass (or "trails"), a unique hold function, full MIDI control, and deep editing functionality with the Neuro Mobile App (a free download for Android and iOS). The Ventris perfectly captures the ambient reverberations of a wide range of room sizes from the warm and tight Club engine to the vast and cavernous E-Dome. It also offers a beautiful collection of "unnatural" reverb effects. The Swell engine creates a reverb swell for subtly emerging puffs of sound. Metal Box imagines the sound of your amp blasting in a claustrophobic, steel walled storage container. Shimmer mixes in angelic octave-up reverberations for an atmospheric sheen. Choir applies detailed filtering to the reverb for a haunting vocal quality.]
echorec

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby aholidayatthesea » Mon Jan 09, 2017 1:10 pm

Dang. Nice rundown, echorec. I'll just hang out here then.
aholidayatthesea

committed
committed

Postby Strange Tales » Mon Jan 09, 2017 1:14 pm

Eurorack BitQuest is a dream. Wonder how it will stack up to Erica Synth's Black Hole DSP.
木枯らし // 木漏れ日 // 風に綱は戦ぐ

Strange Tales Distro - Japanese Underground Music Distribution in the US

Invisible Man wrote:Strange Tales: putting the ‘weeb’ in ‘dweeb’ since whenever.
Strange Tales

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Warpsmasher » Mon Jan 09, 2017 3:08 pm

Catalinbread also rack teasing? Kind of sounds like it maybe. I'd love a euro SFT, Perseus, Ottava Magus, Heliotrope, etc. And all the delays.
Warpsmasher

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby PeteeBee » Mon Jan 09, 2017 3:24 pm

Frazzdazzler with two stomps sounds incredible. I have very much no need, but still desire for it.
Iommic Pope wrote:This is the best you've been.
Suffering suits you.

BitchPudding wrote:Let this be written in our history as proof that ILoveFuzz is one tight knit internet family.
PeteeBee

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby julius_deane » Mon Jan 09, 2017 7:24 pm

echorec wrote:NAMM nuggets:

-Way Huge Swollen Pickle MKIIS

That's been a thing for almost a year.

Along the same lines, I guess Dwarfcraft just means that they'll be pushing the new Shefuzz and Thunder at NAMM since those are also already out.
i'm a grrnoise
julius_deane

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby Olin » Mon Jan 09, 2017 9:19 pm

This is the first I've heard of the Source Audio Ventris and I'm pretty ecstatic to know it's happening so soon. If it's as good as the Nemesis I'm expecting it to knock the Space off my board and open some room up for other things.
neonblack wrote:Do you ever just sit back and take a good look at yourself and realize all your riffs are shit and you're a garbage musician?

https://barewireson.bandcamp.com/album/off-black
Olin

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby Bartimaeus » Mon Jan 09, 2017 10:14 pm

My wallet is very afraid of a eurorack Bitquest and that new Frazz Dazzler...

Also interested to see what the new Catalinbread is like, mostly just out of curiosity (I've always eyed their stuff, but none ever pushed me over the edge to purchase).
Bartimaeus

experienced
experienced

Postby transients » Mon Jan 09, 2017 11:54 pm

Two new Death By Audio pedals at Namm
transients

committed
committed

Postby Pete » Tue Jan 10, 2017 1:56 am

looking forward to seeing what the new Death By Audio pedals are
Pete

experienced
experienced

Postby smallsnd/bigsnd » Tue Jan 10, 2017 2:18 am

echorec wrote:
Chase Bliss:
It’s possible we could have up to four new releases next year, but I think two is more realistic. While I can’t speak to specifics, I think that the first product will be something that will satisfy a number of customers who have been asking for this genre of pedal for a long time.

i don't think it's dirt. my bet is on bitcrush
smallsnd/bigsnd

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby frigid midget » Tue Jan 10, 2017 4:35 am

PeteeBee wrote:Frazzdazzler with two stomps sounds incredible. I have very much no need, but still desire for it.

Same here :drool:

And same when it comes to the new Empress superdelay and Dwarfcraft stuff. Super curious about whatever EQD will come up with. They seem incapable of building a meh pedal, it's a crying shame I no longer have any EQD shit in my possesion :(
frigid midget

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby UglyCasanova » Tue Jan 10, 2017 6:12 am

New Source Audio reverb? Sold! :snax:

Thanks for this post. Good stuff! :hug:
UglyCasanova

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby coldbrightsunlight » Tue Jan 10, 2017 8:15 am

2017 is obviously unhappy with my new year's resolution to not buy any pedals all year... guess I can make a long list, save the money and click 'buy' when I'm trashed at 00:01 next January 1st :lol:
füzz lover. Friend. Quilter evangelist.

I make music sometimes:

https://nitrx.bandcamp.com/

https://mediocrisy.bandcamp.com/

https://fleshcouch.bandcamp.com
coldbrightsunlight

Supporter
Supporter

Next

Return to General Gear