Been a while since we had a HARMONIC PERCOLATOR thread, no?

Moderator: Ghost Hip

Re: Been a while since we had a HARMONIC PERCOLATOR thread,

Postby Chankgeez » Sun Jan 08, 2017 10:54 am

Yeah, it's awesome that BoatRich's bass player builds those.

frig, you can always make him an offer on it. :snax:
psychic vampire. wrote:The important take away from this thread: Taoism and Ring Modulators go together?
…...........................…
Sweet dealin's: here
"Now, of course, Strega is not a Minimoog… and I am not Sun Ra" - dude from MAKENOISE
#GreenRinger
Chankgeez

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Location: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FGhbeHujNZQ youtube.com/watch?v=V-2l7kkBURc

Postby frigid midget » Sun Jan 08, 2017 1:49 pm

I totally would, if it wasn't for the international shipping and my recent epic shopping spree :facepalm:
frigid midget

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby Chankgeez » Sun Jan 08, 2017 3:46 pm

"The percolator is not a 1:1 clone - we're using more accessible transistors and a louder diode clipping scheme." - EAE
psychic vampire. wrote:The important take away from this thread: Taoism and Ring Modulators go together?
"Now, of course, Strega is not a Minimoog… and I am not Sun Ra" - dude from MAKENOISE
#GreenRinger
Chankgeez

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Location: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FGhbeHujNZQ youtube.com/watch?v=V-2l7kkBURc

Postby BoatRich » Sun Jan 08, 2017 8:48 pm

Holy shit that looks incredible. I already have an IVP and the Dark Roast from above (with a clean blend), but an all in one pedal would be sick. I want to try running the IVP into the effects return on my superlead as an EQ/dirt box
BoatRich

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby Chankgeez » Sun Jan 08, 2017 8:53 pm

If you want one, I'd e-mail 'em quick. I got the newsletter today and they said there's only a few pre-order spots left. No plans for another run anytime soon.
#GreenRinger
Chankgeez

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby BoatRich » Sun Jan 08, 2017 9:17 pm

Chankgeez wrote:Yeah, it's awesome that BoatRich's bass player builds those.

frig, you can always make him an offer on it. :snax:

Yeah Jake is cool and he'll work with you on pricing. The wiring is super clean too. I feel the international+being broke thing though. The clean blend is really useful on it. Especially into a dirty amp
BoatRich

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby ck3 » Tue Feb 07, 2017 11:40 am

I recently posted a demo of the Zander Circuitry Cafetiere:

https://soundcloud.com/charles-kirby-76 ... tiere-demo

It's a bit on the meedly meedly side, but manages to illustrate low to mid gain settings and how the pedal interacts with other effects.

The built quality and cosmetics of the Cafetiere are top-notch. Though all the transistors are 100% silicon, it's got a noise floor comparable to that of a germanium Percolator, which probably won't be an issue for purists. Given the wacky octave down harmonics when sustaining notes in the diode clipping mode, I'm guessing the builder achieved the characteristic Harmonic Percolator stank and crackle by starving the circuit. Max fuzz on this pedal is completely unintelligible (in a good way) and exceeds that of the original circuit at least tenfold. I plan to A/B it with my Utility Percolator and JDM Little Steamer at some point.
ck3

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby frigid midget » Fri Feb 17, 2017 10:39 am

Update: My Latent Lemon Audio 1000 Hurts arrived :!!!:

First impressions: Thick and fat, no matter what settings, it sounds super useable as a go-to fuzz/distortion that'll sound thick and ballsy on its own, or mixes nicely together with other dirt. And contrary to what I -for whatever reason- thought about harmonic percolators, it's the opposite of harsh/annoying.

There's not a gigantic amount of gain, but still, it's surprisingly quiet relative to the gain level.

The trim pots on the inside are finnicky, and won't give me much of a noticeable difference, even for pcb trim pots :idk:
I kinda wish the octave was less subtle. Don't know if it's my jazzmaster's low output pu's, but there seemed to be more octave sounds in the yt demo with the tele :idk: And there's not much Ge and Si settings don't have much of volume to spare. They easily go to unity level, but that's pretty much it, beyond that there's not a whole lot of extra headroom or boost or anything.

Haven't yet tried it with a buffer'd pedal in front, some people supposedly prefer their 1000hurts that way :idk:
I'm hanging on to this one for a while. Straight forward and as user friendly as it gets. Two controls and a toggle, that's actually got to be my favorite lay out for any dirt pedal, period :) Looks secksy too, that's always a plus :)

It's rare to have something this thick and dirty that cuts that well through a loud messy mix. It's not the kind of hairy whooly whatevery fuzz that stands out for its fuzzyness, but it's definately not some sort miab or whatever other kind of generic boring overdrive either. It's the sort of dirt pedal that could get a lot of use for a lot of difference applications, even though it won't do any oscillation/sputter/gate. It's incapable of drowning in a mix, it's just very 'in your face' wirthout screaming for attention in a way that gets boring really fast.

So yeah, I guess you could say my first harmonic percolator experience has been a good one :)
frigid midget

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby Eivind August » Fri Feb 17, 2017 10:43 am

Nice write up! Do you have any others incoming to compare it too? Saw that Skully is doing a run of them, that might be worth checking out. :thumb:
https://irerror.bandcamp.com/

friendship wrote:You motherfuckers think I won't fuck up a couple octoroks and assemble the Triforce?

Deals:
NSFW: show
succor, UncleBBQ, jerms, marco.desan, jwar, robapov, Tom Dalton, Gigahearts_FX, frigid midget, K2000, Tristan, untilshewokeme, backwardsvoyager, Strange Tales, brandsmannen, Ugly Casanova, goroth, Abanoise, Casavettes, multi_s, oldangelmidnight, Jero, Inconuucl, Dungus, christianatl, doralin, Wittgenstein, worra, D.o.S, rfurtkamp, blankfield, sillyfabe
Eivind August

HERO
HERO

Postby frigid midget » Fri Feb 17, 2017 11:00 am

I'm keeping my eyes open for good deals for *any* half decent HP to compare it to. Most of 'em have been mensioned in this thread.

More suggestions would still be welcome, especially for HP's with the most possible octave effect :)
Last edited by frigid midget on Sun Feb 19, 2017 1:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
frigid midget

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby blindrabbit » Sat Feb 18, 2017 4:22 pm

BoatRich wrote:
Chankgeez wrote:Interestingly, this just popped up on Reverb:

https://reverb.com/item/3838854-feel-be ... dark-roast

:idk:

My bass player builds these, they're really fucking cool, especially the ones with a clean blend

A little late to the game here, but does he happen to have any bass demos of it?
blindrabbit

experienced
experienced

Postby BoatRich » Sat Feb 18, 2017 7:54 pm

blindrabbit wrote:
BoatRich wrote:
Chankgeez wrote:Interestingly, this just popped up on Reverb:

https://reverb.com/item/3838854-feel-be ... dark-roast

:idk:

My bass player builds these, they're really fucking cool, especially the ones with a clean blend

A little late to the game here, but does he happen to have any bass demos of it?

I'll ask him tonight/I can make one! It sounds awesome on bass. Little bit more gain, and a lot brighter than most bass tones. I use mine with VI and 4 string interchangeably
BoatRich

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby coldbrightsunlight » Sat Feb 18, 2017 7:57 pm

Eivind August wrote:Nice write up! Do you have any others incoming to compare it too? Saw that Skully is doing a run of them, that might be worth checking out. :thumb:

Not sure how you don't have a perc of some sort. They make things oscillate real nice yo.
füzz lover. Friend. Quilter evangelist.

I make music sometimes:

https://nitrx.bandcamp.com/

https://mediocrisy.bandcamp.com/

https://fleshcouch.bandcamp.com
coldbrightsunlight

Supporter
Supporter

Postby skullservant » Sat Mar 04, 2017 12:29 am

Yes I am doing a run of 40 percs. 29 black, 10 pink and 1 gold.
Prototype is built up, just testing and refining before I get all of the PCBS made up.
John from EAE designed the boards for me. I also got a Chuck Collins Perc this week to compare mine to
skullservant

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby DRodriguez » Sat Mar 04, 2017 1:03 am

:!!!:

pink and gold for the win!
DRodriguez

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

PreviousNext

Return to General Gear