Been a while since we had a HARMONIC PERCOLATOR thread, no?

Moderator: Ghost Hip

Re: Been a while since we had a HARMONIC PERCOLATOR thread,

Postby BetterOffShred » Sun May 26, 2019 12:36 am

We should rename this thread to "Ck3 bought them all"

:snax:
BetterOffShred

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby BetterOffShred » Mon May 27, 2019 5:39 pm

That was a joke ;)
BetterOffShred

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby ck3 » Mon May 27, 2019 9:14 pm

Building trumps buying in my book, especially when someone's got mad skillz. Time to make this a "BoS builds them all" thread. :D
ck3

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby pigmaker » Sat Jul 06, 2019 10:56 am

ck3 wrote:I finally fired up the X23 Creme Brulee that arrived last Wednesday. Controls include the usual output level and pregain controls along with clipping and Albini/normal switches. The vero-board-based internal construction looks okay, and there is no battery clip.

The builder did a decent job on the paint and general aesthetics. I'm not sure what transistors were chosen. Its germanium clipping mode is significantly quieter than the silicon and no diode options and just barely achieves unity gain when the output is dimed.

Albini mode sounds like a standard percolator, while the normal position seems to misbias the circuit in a very gated and unevenly sustaining/blooming manner. Regardless of bias settings, it sounds much fatter and more compressed than most of the other percs in my current collection. Chimey tones are still possible at lower input gain settings.

There is also more hiss overall compared to other units. I originally thought one of the Zander Cafetieres would be displaced by the X23, but I'll probably end up flipping the Creme Brulee instead.

Just a heads up.
The X23 builder guy is a fucking psycho.
Made an offer on a pedal of his on Reverb that he found unacceptably low, and about 24 hours later I received a barrage of weird, borderline sociopathic messages.
So, speaking for myself, fuck that guy.
http://mathewriley.com
Want:; EFE Dope Priest Particle Series '77/Standard .... Malekko ID-600 Bright or Dark

good deals with: shikawkee, worra, chatmatt, Brobee, behndy, fever606, space6oy, V___, crayola64, emanux, Chaosmic, hbombgraphics

This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 500 character limit.
pigmaker

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby BetterOffShred » Sat Jul 06, 2019 11:49 am

Hopefully you can screen cap these and put them up, because as they say " a screen capture of a thousand words is worth more than a thousand words"
BetterOffShred

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby ck3 » Sat Jul 06, 2019 11:51 am

Yikes. Probably a good thing I bought the Creme Brulee used.
ck3

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby pigmaker » Sat Jul 06, 2019 12:37 pm

BetterOffShred wrote:Hopefully you can screen cap these and put them up, because as they say " a screen capture of a thousand words is worth more than a thousand words"

Sure, first context:

1. Being unable to find any clips etc of his klon, I sent him a message asking if he had any sound samples. He then linked me to a video of the PCB he used to build the pedal, a PCB which costs $8.

2. I then sent him an initial lowball offer of $25 + 8. I'm sure some will take issue with that, but if I start with an offer for $40, for a pedal the guy built himself, his counter offer is going to be $60. If it was a random pedal that someone had up, and they had it priced to move, i would offer 5 or 10 less than asking price, and they would probably accept. I've done this probably 4-5 times in the last month-ish.

3. Something's amiss with Reverb's offers system when it comes to items that have an "auto reject" for low offers. Whatever they call that. I offered the guy $25 + s/h to start, got the "your offer is too low" message. Then $30, same message. Then $32, same thing. Then that was it, because I wasn't going to pay more than 40 shipped for a klone i know nothing about. So apparently - unlike Ebay - Reverb decided it was a good idea to notify sellers when someone makes an offer that is too low and gets auto-rejected. What the fuck? How does that make sense? Also, the guy received the offer notifications in reverse order, apparently. Or he is just an idiot and doesn't know how to read his emails chronologically. Also, he apparently didn't receive these lowball offer notifications for nearly 24 hours. Or he doesn't check his email very often. Which is weird for someone who is trying to build pedals and make money at it.

4. During our friendly message exchange, I erroneously stated that I had made the lowball offers before messaging him asking him for a soundclip. I was wrong about that, not intentionally, and I stand by everything else I said to his weird ass.

Screengrabs:
https://imgur.com/a/OYPM79Y
Want:; EFE Dope Priest Particle Series '77/Standard .... Malekko ID-600 Bright or Dark

good deals with: shikawkee, worra, chatmatt, Brobee, behndy, fever606, space6oy, V___, crayola64, emanux, Chaosmic, hbombgraphics

This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 500 character limit.
pigmaker

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby Snufkino » Mon Jul 08, 2019 11:01 am

I don't want to be a dick, (proceeds to be a dick...) but if someone low-balled me $25 I'd not even bother responding. That's an insult. That would barely cover the parts. And you're the one presuming what his counteroffer would actually be, so that hypothetical $40 is on you, not him, and if you don't want to spend over $40 on something someone's built, then fine, but that's also your call, not his. If you want to spend that, just offer that and accept he might not take it. And him not realising the order of the offers doesn't seem like something worth insulting him over. :idk:
Snufkino

experienced
experienced

Postby pigmaker » Mon Jul 08, 2019 11:05 am

I've gotten lowball offers before and managed to be a grown up about it rather than have hurt feelings and calling the potential buyer names

pigmaker

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby UglyCasanova » Tue Jul 09, 2019 8:50 am

Maybe you're both dicks. Big, fat, throbbing, clammy dicks fighting it out for dominance. Oh yeah. That's the stuff.

What were we talking about again?
UglyCasanova

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Dandolin » Tue Jul 09, 2019 10:59 am

:snax:
"In a moment of unparalleled genius, Noel Parachute headed off this potential disaster by unplugging the microphone."
Dandolin

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby pigmaker » Tue Jul 09, 2019 1:02 pm

[redacted]
Last edited by pigmaker on Wed Sep 02, 2020 5:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

pigmaker

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby BetterOffShred » Tue Jul 09, 2019 3:18 pm

UglyCasanova wrote:Maybe you're both dicks. Big, fat, throbbing, clammy dicks fighting it out for dominance. Oh yeah. That's the stuff.

Mmm clammy dicks :snax:
BetterOffShred

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Snufkino » Wed Jul 10, 2019 1:50 pm

pigmaker wrote:Personally, I refuse to put JHS, basic audio, and analogman on my board (let's not derail the thread any more than it already is)

What have Basic Audio (and come to think of it, Analogman) done? First I've ever read about John Lyons being a potential dickhead. :?: :snax:

BetterOffShred wrote:
UglyCasanova wrote:Maybe you're both dicks. Big, fat, throbbing, clammy dicks fighting it out for dominance. Oh yeah. That's the stuff.

Mmm clammy dicks :snax:

You want nicely oiled dicks, not clammy. Noobs.
Snufkino

experienced
experienced

Postby BetterOffShred » Wed Jul 10, 2019 2:51 pm

Speak for yerself cowboy..
BetterOffShred

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

PreviousNext

Return to General Gear