Been a while since we had a HARMONIC PERCOLATOR thread, no?

Moderator: Ghost Hip

Re: Been a while since we had a HARMONIC PERCOLATOR thread,

Postby Jero » Fri May 04, 2018 9:35 am

codetocontra wrote:I would love to get in on the tourbox too. I have a Pig Pile and my bassist has the Collins and Latent Lemon to compare.

That reminds me, I need to get one of those Latent Lemons.

Oh, and it looks like I'll be making at least one of these ;)
I make noise toys under Stomping Stones

oldangelmidnight wrote:This is the classic ILF I love. Emotional highs and lows. Scooped mids in my heart all day long.
Jero

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Dandolin » Fri May 04, 2018 6:21 pm

:snax:
"In a moment of unparalleled genius, Noel Parachute headed off this potential disaster by unplugging the microphone."
Dandolin

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby ck3 » Sat May 05, 2018 5:35 pm

The Barge Concepts HP-1 arrived earlier today thanks in large part to the USPS failing at their best efforts to attempt to lose my package. In any event, it grinds, purrs, chimes, and snarls in a most excellent manner, and I no longer have to kick myself for selling or trading one away many moons ago. The drive switch is an innovative feature, as, unlike with other perc variants, there is a significant output level boost when the clipping diodes are engaged. The only issue I've noticed is a faint mechanical noise when using single coils with more saturated textures. Otherwise, it is easily my #2 perc at the moment.
ck3

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby D Rock » Sun May 06, 2018 4:20 am

Cool so far I have
Ck3
Better off shred??
Rustywire
oldangelmidnight
codetocontra
good to go on the tourbox.

Feel free to shoot me some addresses and I will get this together. I've been considering including some other custom built stuff I've done but I don't have much time as it is to build so the perc may be it.

Also do you guys feel like one week is enough time? That way if you have band practice once a week you should be able to try it out in a band setting as well. Let me know thoughts on this.
D Rock

committed
committed

Postby Dandolin » Sun May 06, 2018 9:08 am

ck3 wrote:The Barge Concepts HP-1 arrived earlier today thanks in large part to the USPS failing at their best efforts to attempt to lose my package. In any event, it grinds, purrs, chimes, and snarls in a most excellent manner, and I no longer have to kick myself for selling or trading one away many moons ago. The drive switch is an innovative feature, as, unlike with other perc variants, there is a significant output level boost when the clipping diodes are engaged. The only issue I've noticed is a faint mechanical noise when using single coils with more saturated textures. Otherwise, it is easily my #2 perc at the moment.

Noice. :)* And interesting to hear. After Albini dissed the Barge there seemed to be a chill on that one's rep--I've seen some of them go for real cheap lately. Anyway it seems really interesting from your description. Also--what's #1?
"In a moment of unparalleled genius, Noel Parachute headed off this potential disaster by unplugging the microphone."
Dandolin

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby codetocontra » Sun May 06, 2018 12:53 pm

I will be heading to ILFMW in Minneapolis on June 22nd. Might be cool if we can arrange it so I can take it up there and let other ILFers try it out too.
codetocontra

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby More_Divebombs » Sun May 06, 2018 3:16 pm

comesect2.0 wrote:https://reverb.com/item/10911228-harmonik

I bought this. As in, this exact listing. It's great fun.

I have a HP-1 clone, that I have no idea how close it is to the original as I've never played one, but it's not as dirty as I thought it would be. Just like a prickly overdrive with a stack of sustain. I like it a lot and use it a bunch, it's just not what I thought it would be.

The Harmonik does that too, but more. A lot more growl to it. Goes all compressed and fuzzy when you max it out, and the switch in the middle makes it go full fuzz of the nasty, squelchy kind. Really tight bottom end too, so it chugs like a monster.
Stupid (mostly electronic) music - https://wulfexe.bandcamp.com
More_Divebombs

committed
committed

Postby Chankgeez » Sun May 06, 2018 3:57 pm

^ That's good news. :thumb:

:erm: I just noticed that ISHIBASHI are advertising that they've got a "PORKY HARLOT":

https://reverb.com/item/10017027-fredri ... e-shipping

:idk:
psychic vampire. wrote:The important take away from this thread: Taoism and Ring Modulators go together?
…...........................…
Sweet dealin's: here
"Now, of course, Strega is not a Minimoog… and I am not Sun Ra" - dude from MAKENOISE
#GreenRinger
Chankgeez

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Location: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FGhbeHujNZQ youtube.com/watch?v=V-2l7kkBURc

Postby ck3 » Mon May 07, 2018 9:55 pm

Dandolin wrote: Noice. :)* And interesting to hear. After Albini dissed the Barge there seemed to be a chill on that one's rep--I've seen some of them go for real cheap lately. Anyway it seems really interesting from your description. Also--what's #1?

If Mr. Albini had taken the time to dial back and balance drive and harmonics levels, the BP-1 would have likely rivaled his #1 perc. My current #1 is the JDM Little Steamer, which can do musical overdrive and all-out blart textures equally well. The compact chassis and battery clip are other plusses compared to most of my other options.

Speaking of which, here's a group pic of the lot:

ck3

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby Dandolin » Tue May 08, 2018 11:47 am

Boo'ful--thanks. :zen: :)*

I'm unavoidably and inherently interested in all Percs :picard:

but I do have a particular interest in the JDM, especially since I scored one of his righteous takes on the also clangeriffic MKI tonebender, the Elektrika :snax:
Dandolin

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Champion Leccy » Thu May 10, 2018 10:23 pm

I know I'm super late to the party, but I was just wondering, cos yous lot are infinitely more knowledgable about Harmonic Percolator based fuzzes than I am (I just heard a clone - the Harmonik actually - thought that sounds like something I should play with, found out it was a super simple circuit then messed around with it on a breadboard until I was happy with it). So I've never actually played on any apart from the divvy. Never been able to do a direct comparison. I voiced it for P90s/ humbuckers through a valve amp if anyone's interested.

Anyway, I'd really like to know how yous using your Percs.
like is it one of several gain stages?
And what kind of music are yous playing?

Also MASSIVE thanks to anyone who bought a Divvy! For a smaller builder like myself it's a huge joy to sell anything.

By the way, if anyone is interested in making a divvy themselves, I got a load of PCBs done, I'd be happy to send some out. They're all version 2, with the extra switch for a different voicing, and it's not the usual Ge clipping diode switch. The switch can be an external toggle or an internal DIP switch.
Champion Leccy

uncommitted
uncommitted

Postby Jero » Thu May 10, 2018 11:39 pm

Champion Leccy wrote:I know I'm super late to the party, but I was just wondering, cos yous lot are infinitely more knowledgable about Harmonic Percolator based fuzzes than I am (I just heard a clone - the Harmonik actually - thought that sounds like something I should play with, found out it was a super simple circuit then messed around with it on a breadboard until I was happy with it). So I've never actually played on any apart from the divvy. Never been able to do a direct comparison. I voiced it for P90s/ humbuckers through a valve amp if anyone's interested.

like is it one of several gain stages?
And what kind of music are yous playing?

Also MASSIVE thanks to anyone who bought a Divvy! For a smaller builder like myself it's a huge joy to sell anything.

By the way, if anyone is interested in making a divvy themselves, I got a load of PCBs done, I'd be happy to send some out. They're all version 2, with the extra switch for a different voicing, and it's not the usual Ge clipping diode switch. The switch can be an external toggle or an internal DIP switch.

Welcome! Pretty sure I just started following you recently :thumb: dig the look of your stuff. I'd be interested in a pcb for sure :snax:
I make noise toys under Stomping Stones

oldangelmidnight wrote:This is the classic ILF I love. Emotional highs and lows. Scooped mids in my heart all day long.
Jero

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby BetterOffShred » Fri May 11, 2018 10:05 am

Yeah I'll always buy A PCB. Sounds great.
BetterOffShred

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Chankgeez » Fri May 11, 2018 12:10 pm

Champion Leccy wrote:

:D :!!!:
psychic vampire. wrote:The important take away from this thread: Taoism and Ring Modulators go together?
…...........................…
Sweet dealin's: here
"Now, of course, Strega is not a Minimoog… and I am not Sun Ra" - dude from MAKENOISE
#GreenRinger
Chankgeez

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Location: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FGhbeHujNZQ youtube.com/watch?v=V-2l7kkBURc

Postby Dandolin » Fri May 11, 2018 2:54 pm

Chankgeez wrote:
Champion Leccy wrote:

:D :!!!:

:joy: :idea: :excellent:
Dandolin

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

PreviousNext

Return to General Gear