Been a while since we had a HARMONIC PERCOLATOR thread, no?

Moderator: Ghost Hip

Re: Been a while since we had a HARMONIC PERCOLATOR thread,

Postby Snufkino » Fri May 11, 2018 5:18 pm

More_Divebombs wrote:
comesect2.0 wrote:https://reverb.com/item/10911228-harmonik

I bought this. As in, this exact listing. It's great fun.

I have a HP-1 clone, that I have no idea how close it is to the original as I've never played one, but it's not as dirty as I thought it would be. Just like a prickly overdrive with a stack of sustain. I like it a lot and use it a bunch, it's just not what I thought it would be.

The Harmonik does that too, but more. A lot more growl to it. Goes all compressed and fuzzy when you max it out, and the switch in the middle makes it go full fuzz of the nasty, squelchy kind. Really tight bottom end too, so it chugs like a monster.

That was mine! I had it on sale here, but nobody wanted it so I went to the dark side.

This is a long shot, but have any perc enthusiasts ever tried an Electra distortion? With the gain cranked they sound like a softer/warmer perc, and I kind of prefer them. I might try building some kind of bastard hybrid at some point.
Snufkino

experienced
experienced

Postby Chankgeez » Fri May 11, 2018 5:24 pm

:snax:
psychic vampire. wrote:The important take away from this thread: Taoism and Ring Modulators go together?
…...........................…
Sweet dealin's: here
"Now, of course, Strega is not a Minimoog… and I am not Sun Ra" - dude from MAKENOISE
#GreenRinger
Chankgeez

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Location: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FGhbeHujNZQ youtube.com/watch?v=V-2l7kkBURc

Postby BetterOffShred » Fri May 11, 2018 5:50 pm

I think the Electra was the first circuit I ever built. Now there's a ton of variants. Certainly decent.

Revisiting my Electra I had planned on putting some clipping options on a rotary .. I guess I just moved on to other boost/OD stuff.

The Electra is pretty neat for a single NPN circuit, fits easy in a 1590A. Juice up the sizing on the input/output cap and it's pretty good on ERGs too.
BetterOffShred

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Dandolin » Fri May 11, 2018 9:22 pm

I really like the Electadrian for an Electra variant. I have another Electra build that I don't play much because it's wooly in a way I don't like, with short-ish sustain. I keep on meaning to swap out some caps to see if that improves things, but I just end up pulling out the Electadrian (which is anything but wooly--rather it's quite "sparkly") instead.... :idk:
Last edited by Dandolin on Fri May 11, 2018 9:59 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"In a moment of unparalleled genius, Noel Parachute headed off this potential disaster by unplugging the microphone."
Dandolin

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Jero » Fri May 11, 2018 9:53 pm

BetterOffShred wrote:I think the Electra was the first circuit I ever built. Now there's a ton of variants. Certainly decent.
Revisiting my Electra I had planned on putting some clipping options on a rotary .. I guess I just moved on to other boost/OD stuff.
The Electra is pretty neat for a single NPN circuit, fits easy in a 1590A. Juice up the sizing on the input/output cap and it's pretty good on ERGs too.

Dandolin wrote:I really like the Electadrian for an Electra variant. I have another Electra build thats I don't play much because it's wooly in a way I don't like with short-ish sustain. I keep on meaning to swap out some caps to see if that improves things, but I just end up pulling out the Electadrian (which is anything but wooly) instead.... :idk:

Not to go slightly o/t but would there be any interest in a cool Electra thing? Maybe a cap and diode rotary?

I ask because, oddly enough, I was going through old builds and saw my ptp turret board Electra...which got me thinking about doing another but with more options...and now that I have even more weird diodes...I was going to at least build one for me. The Electra is great for "auditioning" diodes. Too bad ma856's are so expensive now...I remember those sounding really good.
Last edited by Jero on Fri May 11, 2018 9:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I make noise toys under Stomping Stones

oldangelmidnight wrote:This is the classic ILF I love. Emotional highs and lows. Scooped mids in my heart all day long.
Jero

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Dandolin » Fri May 11, 2018 9:54 pm

Haha--hellz yeah--I should send you mine to cannibalize....:snax:
"In a moment of unparalleled genius, Noel Parachute headed off this potential disaster by unplugging the microphone."
Dandolin

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Chankgeez » Fri May 11, 2018 9:58 pm

Jero wrote:Not to go slightly o/t but would there be any interest in a cool Electra thing? Maybe a cap and diode rotary?

I ask because, oddly enough, I was going through old builds and saw my ptp turret board Electra...which got me thinking about doing another but with more options...and now that I have even more weird diodes...I was going to at least build one for me. The Electra is great for "auditioning" diodes. Too bad ma856's are so expensive now...I remember those sounding really good.

I'm still interested in this:

I just haven't yet been willing to pay almost $300 for it. :idk:

So, yes! :love:
psychic vampire. wrote:The important take away from this thread: Taoism and Ring Modulators go together?
"Now, of course, Strega is not a Minimoog… and I am not Sun Ra" - dude from MAKENOISE
#GreenRinger
Chankgeez

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Location: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FGhbeHujNZQ youtube.com/watch?v=V-2l7kkBURc

Postby BetterOffShred » Sat May 12, 2018 1:53 am

If you guys get me all Rando on the Electra again I'll probably build a super with like maybe 3 input output pairs on a toggle, 3 sets of diodes and no diodes on a rotary, and then maybe a transistor swap on a toggle..

It does sound good.
BetterOffShred

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Jero » Sat May 12, 2018 2:36 am

Chankgeez wrote:
Jero wrote:Not to go slightly o/t but would there be any interest in a cool Electra thing? Maybe a cap and diode rotary?

I'm still interested in this:
I just haven't yet been willing to pay almost $300 for it. :idk:
So, yes! :love:

Damn that's a lot of clippers :wha?: :lol: Sounds pretty good, but yea $300 is steep.

Dandolin wrote:Haha--hellz yeah--I should send you mine to cannibalize....:snax:

:lol: you know I'm game. I'm gonna go out on a limb and say the one you don't use prob has in/out caps that are .1uf+ (Electradrian values are half that) and doesn't have the addition of the electrolytic to ground off the emitter (boosts gain essentially). There's no telling what they used for the collector resistor.

BetterOffShred wrote:If you guys get me all Rando on the Electra again I'll probably build a super with like maybe 3 input output pairs on a toggle, 3 sets of diodes and no diodes on a rotary, and then maybe a transistor swap on a toggle..
It does sound good.

Do eeet :snax:

oldangelmidnight wrote:This is the classic ILF I love. Emotional highs and lows. Scooped mids in my heart all day long.
Jero

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby BetterOffShred » Sat May 12, 2018 3:34 am

1p12t rotary .. $1.69 ..
Electra components .. $1.84
.. $300 .. yawn
BetterOffShred

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Chankgeez » Sat May 12, 2018 8:51 am

:snax:
#GreenRinger
Chankgeez

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby shikawkee » Sat May 12, 2018 12:19 pm

BetterOffShred wrote:1p12t rotary .. $1.69 ..
Electra components .. $1.84
.. $300 .. yawn

WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY overpriced. And only via Vintage King who I'll never buy from again anyways (bad experience). I like Joe though.
Singer-songwriter, composer and author. I also manufacture and distribute Gary Hall designed and endorsed Lexicon PCM42 mods. Owner of HOSAT Effects. BETA tester for Line 6 and Eventide.
shikawkee

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby BetterOffShred » Sat May 12, 2018 12:36 pm

These kind of pedals piss me off. I certainly don't want to start the boutique pricing argument again, but if you ever look at the inside of any Electra based circuit or even percolator for that matter, you'll see about 50 cents in parts and a couple alpha China pots.. It's not like they have millions in R&D.. The Electra has been around for years. Percolator pricing is a little more fair for the germanium based units because this isn't the 80s anymore and everyone is hip to mojo Ge trannies. So you have to hand pick and bias them etc...

Electra .. a single silicon transistor sold for literally 2-3 cents each. Gtfo.
BetterOffShred

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Jero » Sat May 12, 2018 12:50 pm

But but but the active tone control man. And all 25 of those $.04 diodes!
My main argument would be all the off board wiring that entails...but you know his stuff is all pcb mount.

If that was a one off, from a small builder, with a bunch of non run of the mill parts, and off board wiring, etc. Yea, sure $300, to the right buyer.

Hype fame goes a long way I think (not trying to diss Joe Gore in the least) and dude is on a certain level, and expects to get paid for it. Nothing wrong with that. It's not like he's trying to play it as some big thing it isn't (which he easily could).

Jero

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Chankgeez » Sat May 12, 2018 12:54 pm

I'm sure Joe'd be happy if we DIY'd the shit outta this. :D :whoa: :rock:
#GreenRinger
Chankgeez

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

PreviousNext

Return to General Gear