Been a while since we had a HARMONIC PERCOLATOR thread, no?

Moderators: Ghost Hip, metalmariachi

Re: Been a while since we had a HARMONIC PERCOLATOR thread,

Postby ck3 » Wed Oct 11, 2017 10:27 pm

I was able to retrieve my Customeffects Harmonic Percolator from the post office earlier today. The builder is based out of Poland, does quality work, and peddles his wares through Reverb.

Customeffects opted for a DC only variation on the original, no-frills vintage perc schem that crunches, blarts, and responds to playing dynamics as expected. It also has the characteristic slight HP hiss, which remains at a constant level regardless of the harmonics setting and will probably be a non-issue when using a real amp capable of generating feedback.

The Customeffects take on this circuit seems darker and smoother than the Fredric Effects Perky Harlot, but equally crisp with crunchier settings and able to maintain better definition at higher gain levels. The Zander Cafetiere is probably has more focused upper mids, while the JDM Little Steamer is more muted and compressed.

I now have 3 Harmonic Percolator variants on hand again and am eyeing at least 2 more. Much like the Big Muff, there's something magical about the circuit that compels me to collect multiple versions.
ck3

experienced
experienced

Postby Chankgeez » Wed Oct 11, 2017 10:43 pm

Good info, ck3. :thumb: I like "darker", but not necessarily "smoother". :idk:

I'm still interested in this one:

Alice: balls have a ball to me to me to me to me to me to me to me to me
"You can't copyright circuits really." - Ed Sanner …………….0.............
"The effects market was really nothing more than a bunch of beggars and theives, all building off one another's work." - Dan Armstrong…...........................…
Sweet dealin's: here

"Vibraphones are like blowjobs; everyone wants one, but the good ones are cost-prohibitive."- Ugly Nora
Chankgeez

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby ck3 » Wed Oct 11, 2017 10:50 pm

Land Devices happens to be one of the two brands that caught my eye. There is currently an HP-2 with a red switch available on Reverb.

I should clarify that the Customeffects perc is only slightly smoother than the old school Fredric Effects version.
ck3

experienced
experienced

Postby weebles » Thu Oct 12, 2017 8:54 am

Chankgeez wrote:Good info, ck3. :thumb: I like "darker", but not necessarily "smoother". :idk:

I'm still interested in this one:

Has anyone here tried this one yet? Any clips? I’ve seen the datachoir video, but would like to know how it interacts with other dirt and effects.
weebles

committed
committed

Postby BetterOffShred » Thu Oct 12, 2017 3:33 pm

This is interesting, as fuzz recommendations on a different thread.. I think it was Octave fuzzes.. got me interested in building a HP finally, so I got some Ge trannies coming and I'm going to breadboard that ho and see what it's all about. I got too many damn projects.. They all get finished eventually. I printed every schematic I could find of all the version throughout the years, I'm curious to see which I like.
BetterOffShred

committed
committed

Postby ck3 » Wed Oct 18, 2017 9:36 pm

Chankgeez wrote:

Just ordered one of these (with a red switch) and can post impressions once it arrives.
ck3

experienced
experienced

Postby Chankgeez » Wed Oct 18, 2017 9:45 pm

:thumb: :snax:
Alice: balls have a ball to me to me to me to me to me to me to me to me
"You can't copyright circuits really." - Ed Sanner …………….0.............
"The effects market was really nothing more than a bunch of beggars and theives, all building off one another's work." - Dan Armstrong…...........................…
Sweet dealin's: here

"Vibraphones are like blowjobs; everyone wants one, but the good ones are cost-prohibitive."- Ugly Nora
Chankgeez

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby BetterOffShred » Thu Oct 19, 2017 9:54 am

Cool cool! I'm excited to hear back on it too. I matched some Diodes for the green ringer portion of my HP/GR duo box last night, and I think I have a few Germanium transistors to try in the HP section. The original Interfax HP-1 apparently used a 2N404 Ge (PNP) and a 2N3565 Si (NPN) but that has a gain range of like 150-600 so I'll try the usual suspects like 3904 and 5088 etc. I also got a 4PDT stomp switch so I can do order switching separate of on/off for each effect... Though I have a 4PDT toggle I may use instead because the more I think about it I'm not really interested in switching order while I'm playing and it would save a ton of room. I bought a BB box for it, which is huge considering it only has 2 knobs and I can probably stack the boards.. so maybe I should stuff something else in there with it that's toggle operated as well. Maybe something like an AMZ boost to "Pre-boost" the HP? Ideas anyone?
BetterOffShred

committed
committed

Previous

Return to General Gear