Axoloti Is Awesome!

Moderator: Ghost Hip

Axoloti Is Awesome!

Postby spacelordmother » Thu Oct 06, 2016 12:46 pm

http://www.axoloti.com/
http://community.axoloti.com/

Splitting this off from the ambient/drone thread. :snax:

spacelordmother wrote:Have just started digging into the Axoloti and it's amazing. There need to be more talk about this thing. Lots to learn about the coding environment (it's a lot like MAX or PD) but making things that produce interesting sounds/possibilities isn't that hard to get ahold of. Made a quick drone synth that looks like this:

Basically 4 pairs of oscillators (one sine, one saw with selectable offset) with the crossfade modulated by a lfo, and a filtered noise oscillator with envelope into a master resonant 4 pole LPF. Seems like lots of people try to use it to build "The Ultimate Synthesizer" (which it seems capable of) but I find it so awesome just for quick ideas/projects that pop in my head. Plus -- you can load patches onto SD cards to use like cartridges so it works perfectly for this. :snax:

Here's a quick recording -- all sounds are the Axoloti with just a little reverb applied in Ableton. (Axo does reverb, I just haven't gotten there yet.) Wish Soundcloud embeds still worked:
https://soundcloud.com/spacelordmother/axo-drone-1
Last edited by spacelordmother on Thu Feb 16, 2017 8:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
spacelordmother

HERO
HERO

Re: Axoloti is awesome.

Postby MrNovember » Thu Oct 06, 2016 2:01 pm

Hmm I might be very interested in this

I haven't really had a chance to look to deep into it, but I've been able to gather that:
You plug the Axoloti Core into a computer to program it and can remove it from said computer to play the programs
You can load additional programs from microSD cards
It has stereo audio in and out
Can be controlled through midi

Right?
MrNovember

Modulae of BILF
Modulae of BILF

Postby Faldoe » Thu Oct 06, 2016 3:07 pm

Sweeeeeeeet. If can be used untethered to a computer, this is the chance to create a frankenlooper with all the functions an individual user can want.

Which means for me some time factor like start/stop slicing. Basic DL4 function but with added switches.
Faldoe

Postby spacelordmother » Thu Oct 06, 2016 3:24 pm

MrNovember wrote:Hmm I might be very interested in this

I haven't really had a chance to look to deep into it, but I've been able to gather that:
You plug the Axoloti Core into a computer to program it and can remove it from said computer to play the programs
You can load additional programs from microSD cards
It has stereo audio in and out
Can be controlled through midi

Right?

spacelordmother wrote:Image

Faldoe wrote:Sweeeeeeeet. If can be used untethered to a computer, this is the chance to create a frankenlooper with all the functions an individual user can want.

Which means for me some time factor like start/stop slicing. Basic DL4 function but with added switches.

Not sure how nutso the board resources/RAM can go, but there's lots of looper talk on the community board so I am sure a little reading there would give you an idea if what you want is possible.
spacelordmother

HERO
HERO

Postby Aquietcabin1978 » Thu Oct 06, 2016 5:39 pm

Well just bought one. Now to decide what to use for triggering. Thinking something like a korg nano key studio with the pads and knobs just to keep it on the cheaper side. Jazzed. Thanks for posting. Have you looked into a case?

The beatstep pro and x-touch by behringer are looking alright.
Last edited by Aquietcabin1978 on Thu Oct 06, 2016 7:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jwar wrote:I'd tell both you guys to eat a dick, but it's against the vibe of the thread. Dicks are meat right? ;) haha

Invisible Man wrote:All roads lead to butt stuff.
Aquietcabin1978

Supporter
Supporter

Postby tremolo3 » Thu Oct 06, 2016 5:59 pm

Faldoe wrote:Sweeeeeeeet. If can be used untethered to a computer, this is the chance to create a frankenlooper with all the functions an individual user can want.

Not sure how practical would be for gigging but with a Raspberry Pi, an audio interface and a USB controller (that can be made out of a PCB keyboard and some SPST switches) you can do the ultimate looper by running SooperLooper on loonix or Mobius on windorks.
John wrote:"guys play quiet, listen to my small costly device."

PumpkinPieces wrote:Fer shoogaze

tuffteef wrote:all you need is a big muff and feelings
tremolo3

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby MrNovember » Thu Oct 06, 2016 6:05 pm

Sweet! I'm going to look into it a little further this weekend if I get a chance, but I think I'll be investing in one (especially since I have some extra cash since I missed out on the 856).
I'm thinking I'll get a bunch of microSD cards along with it so I can program a nutso delay, a looper, and some crazy drone synth stuff and then swap them out whenever I feel like it
MrNovember

Modulae of BILF
Modulae of BILF

Postby space6oy » Thu Oct 06, 2016 7:34 pm

i thought this was gonna be about this.

space6oy

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby D.o.S. » Thu Oct 06, 2016 9:23 pm

Aquietcabin1978 wrote:Well just bought one. Now to decide what to use for triggering. Thinking something like a korg nano key studio with the pads and knobs just to keep it on the cheaper side. Jazzed. Thanks for posting. Have you looked into a case?

You could use something like the QuNexus, no?
good deals are here.
escapecraft is here.
UglyCasanova wrote: It's not the expensive programs you use, it's the way you click and drag.

Achtane wrote:
comesect2.0 wrote:Michael Jackson king tut little Richard in your butt.

IT'S THE ENNNND OF THE WORRRLD AS WE KNOW IT
D.o.S.

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby MrNovember » Thu Oct 06, 2016 9:36 pm

space6oy wrote:i thought this was gonna be about this.

I keep thinking its about these cute lil alien bastards:
MrNovember

Modulae of BILF
Modulae of BILF

Postby Faldoe » Fri Oct 07, 2016 1:22 am

ramonovski wrote:

Not sure how practical would be for gigging but with a Raspberry Pi, an audio interface and a USB controller (that can be made out of a PCB keyboard and some SPST switches) you can do the ultimate looper by running SooperLooper on loonix or Mobius on windorks.

Cool idea!

I was reading the hardware FAQ and they said the following:

Why not simply use a Raspberry Pi?

A Raspberry has a higher clock speed and much more memory. It is rather a small PC, and that brings in all the maintenance associated with a PC. Running Raspbian uses so much resources of the Raspberry Pi, that little is left for realtime audio duties. The onboard audio output is very low quality and there’s no audio input. If you try this road, you’ll end up with a composition of a r-pi, usb hub, USB sound card, and running USB cables internally.

Axoloti is made to be patched with a PC, where you can focus on the audio algorithms., and then be played without PC, where you can focus on playing your sound.
Faldoe

Postby spacelordmother » Fri Oct 07, 2016 8:46 am

D.o.S. wrote:
Aquietcabin1978 wrote:Well just bought one. Now to decide what to use for triggering. Thinking something like a korg nano key studio with the pads and knobs just to keep it on the cheaper side. Jazzed. Thanks for posting. Have you looked into a case?

You could use something like the QuNexus, no?

Qunexus works great as a note controller -- reminds me I need to try it out as a modulation source with velocity and tilt. I also jotted down some ideas of using the Q as a sequencer interface, but I think there's a lot I need to learn before I can make it work.
spacelordmother

HERO
HERO

Postby oscillateur » Fri Oct 07, 2016 10:27 am

It seems both more limited (in terms of current modules) and more expandable than the Nord Modular. And cheaper, obviously...
I could get one of these, make a nice sampler/looper patch and control it with my Nanokontrol that sits in a box... Tempting :).
oscillateur

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby Aquietcabin1978 » Fri Oct 07, 2016 10:30 am

The qu nexus looks pretty dope. Even though I know it is probably corny this korg box looks like it has potential.. I think I had the nano pad years ago and it was a little cheap feeling. Something about knobs, keys, and the x/y touch screen tho.

jwar wrote:I'd tell both you guys to eat a dick, but it's against the vibe of the thread. Dicks are meat right? ;) haha

Invisible Man wrote:All roads lead to butt stuff.
Aquietcabin1978

Supporter
Supporter

Postby Dr. Sherman Sticks M.D. » Fri Oct 07, 2016 10:39 am

:joy: :omg: :!!!:
Dr. Sherman Sticks M.D.

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Next

Return to General Gear