IdiotBox Effects tourbox of the U.S. on the endless boogie!

Moderator: Ghost Hip

Re: IdiotBox Effects tourbox of the U.S. on the mo'fuckin' m

Postby lordgalvar » Thu Jun 08, 2017 12:02 am

Idiotbox Landphil Bass Distortion pt. 1
    This was just messing around on guitar with the Landphil I already own. I love the pedal and it is one of my favorite distortions (never thought I would say that about anything based off a rat//I've had a Rat2 for near 15 years and I never liked that thing).

It's got more fizz, bite, character, and (most importantly) cut/clarity than my old rat2 plus it replaces that fairly useless (for me at least) filter with a boost/cut eq. The Landphil really has a lot of life/character, which is kind of a rarity in the high gain distortion pedals I've used* (boss and dod high gain were always been a big part of setups when I used to play live but was never fully happy with them...but options in 2003).

Text Wall:
NSFW: show
I like the layout and functionality of the controls too; they are simple but have a bit more depth than expected with the extra knobs. The three side knobs have been fairly set-and-forget with a few spots that I really like (they are kind of more like fine tuning of the top controls I think). The volume is about right overall (not too loud and too much gain/volume balancing).

It's pretty much the distortion I wanted back when I started playing guitar. It has a good amount of highs which I am always craving and they aren't kind of hissy. The lows don't get muddy unless I want them that way. The eq is just right for me. It doesn't do a whole lot of low gain (meaning the range of gain is meant to be higher) but that's perfect for what I'm into. But...

I was kind of surprised that I can put a Maxon ad9 in front of it and kinda mimic some East Bay Ray-like tones (his playing not included :grumpy: ) which means it's got some echoplex pushing a fender tube preamp character in there (I set my Sunn fairly neutral....it sounds like a solid state amp).

If the intent was similar to the original blower box (mimic a bad ass tone/amp sound without the same equipment), it succeeds. The art is good too.

Also, :love: Voivod and some Dave Witte (more of a Discordance Axis fan though).

*There are some totally awesome distortions (dirty doper)....just a lot of boring ones too

Yes, it can Cryptic Slaughter
Last edited by lordgalvar on Thu Jun 08, 2017 1:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
-Ring Mods!
"I make you chocolate"
    -comesect69-via-Majin Buu-by-way-of-Dirge/mtl.asm and special consideration from CA Anderton
lordgalvar

Supporter
Supporter

Postby Chankgeez » Thu Jun 08, 2017 12:21 am

Nice. :!!!: :doom: Yeah, Landphil is like an awesomer Blower Box with more control. :thumb:
psychic vampire. wrote:The important take away from this thread: Taoism and Ring Modulators go together?
…...........................…
Sweet dealin's: here
"Now, of course, Strega is not a Minimoog… and I am not Sun Ra" - dude from MAKENOISE
#GreenRinger
Chankgeez

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Location: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FGhbeHujNZQ youtube.com/watch?v=V-2l7kkBURc

Postby lordgalvar » Thu Jun 08, 2017 1:13 am

Also, I should note that it doesn't get compressed sounding at higher gains....it always sounds more 1980s punk than modern metal. And mine is signed...

Idiotbox Landphil Bass Distortion pt. 2
    This time I ran the Landphil off my little eurorack system doing semi-random space drums (patch described in the YouTube comments, if it is of interest//also, sorry about the length...more of a knob turning video than anything).

Text Wall:
The EQ is really more tailored toward guitar and bass, which is fine. They did offer some tuning of the sounds, but it really wasn't as drastic as it was on guitar. But running a distortion on a glorified drum machine is all about the gain anyway.

The neat thing about the Landphil in this setup was it kind of played off the artifacts left from the low pass gate, delay, and decay. A swell rose out of the decaying drums into this kind of atmospheric din (the delay probably helped a bit too). The gain control would help clip different frequencies and would almost work more like an sweepable tone control (once the others were set) and, for example, clip the high end of the delay sounds into a more harmonic squarish shape (well, a clipping and tone in one...like a dynamics control).

The Landphil would also boost different artifacts like the underlying digital noise of the delay or the nearly inaudible oscillations that past through the low pass gate in a way that was musical instead of an annoyance (which it usually is....except in a character device like the old electron sidstation....the little non-stop random noise was charming).

The gain could also overdrive the eurorack's preamp (bastl ciao!) easily which allowed for full-on blown speaker sounds which covered the really short delay sounds but then decayed them back into the mix. Pretty good dynamics.

Of course, it still does that overblown preamp drum machine thing that is awesome. It also worked very very well in a blended parallel setup to add body and fill up space under the sparse drums.

It was fun, but I like the Landphil much better on guitar. But,
for this purpose, I still think the Landphil is better than a lot of other pedals.
-Ring Mods!
"I make you chocolate"
    -comesect69-via-Majin Buu-by-way-of-Dirge/mtl.asm and special consideration from CA Anderton
lordgalvar

Supporter
Supporter

Postby lordgalvar » Wed Jun 14, 2017 12:30 pm

Idiotbox Whores. and Static Fuzz
    This one is on synth too. I changed the eurorack setup a bit at some point, which really makes no difference in this context....I think I used the same stuff (who cares?).
Background Text Wall:
This video was the result of some searching and a whole lot of failures/mistakes. When I first got the tourbox,
I busted out the static fuzz expecting metal meets my LAL Sandstorm....it wasn't. It was a very tight fuzz drive. It sounds great but no real white noise. I went and re-read the description and it mentions it "filters through a white noise 'static' generator". I watched Excane's video again....some noise, but pretty much the same (it's a great sounding drive).

I had been using a very similar trick with the sandstorm to cut the harshness of things like the Octavella...but that wasn't what was in front of me (in terms of what I imagined...I tend to kinda go into these things blind and try to see what happens). I do what I usually do with fuzzes and tried to push it harder....there was some noise!

Anyway, I have been pretty busy lately and need to be pretty quiet. I was setting up to use Whores. on synth and I thought, "let's see what frequencies trigger the static fuzz while I'm at it". I start out and it's about the same, but a series of stupid patching led me to find the noise...and it is pretty dang good.

The video itself went through problems. The video cut completely at some point which is why after like 6:11 it goes dark....that's just filler, no video recorded that part. My camera phone kept glitching and skipping frames too.

Static Fuzz Text Wall:
So, as mentioned in the previous NSFW wall of letters,
the static fuzz took some exploration. There will be some guitar with this thing shortly.

With synth, this is not as expansive of a drive as the Landphil.
However, it has it's own magic. Kinda works more like a gritty boost. When I was repatching during the video, I found that if I basically push the sound of a vactrol pinging very fast or leave the line open, the fuzz circuit kind of doesn't have anything to make sound (I think, said in the worst way possible). The noise just jumps up and becomes this awesome wind sound. It is highly reactive to incoming impedances.

The noise is pretty cool though like wind against the window outisde. When varying a filter or something in front of it, it will vary the timbre. Sweeping the noise knob quickly will also cut the signal out for some neat kinda glitchy noise tremolo. The noise timbre is also adjusted by the gain. The tone knob didn't effect much in this "mode" but it was just enough when using it as more of a fuzz.

It's an awesome pedal with some glitchy depth. The Static Fuzz is deceptive in its simplicity, but some cool stuff is in there.

Whores. Text Wall:
I like the filter on synth. I'm not a big filter guy to begin with on synth (the only ones I really have are some variation on the LPG...however, I do like filters on guitar to some extent) and I really don't like piercing resonance on synth. I like that this is a slightly resonant bandpass. The volume difference between the sides (and cut of the filter) is something to get used to, but once I found out the order I liked it was all good.

It emphasizes different frequencies just enough, and provides enough of that kinda spatial bandpass sound (space man) to give the appearance of room when swept. When used with something like a comparator, it cuts the surrounding frequencies enough to extract some different rhythms from an incoming complex signal even though the band is pretty wide. Also it can do some nice frozen wah sounds.
-Ring Mods!
"I make you chocolate"
lordgalvar

Supporter
Supporter

Postby Chankgeez » Wed Jun 14, 2017 12:39 pm

:love: your Text Walls & Test Movies. :!!!: Thanks for the nice contribution to the thread. :thumb:
psychic vampire. wrote:The important take away from this thread: Taoism and Ring Modulators go together?
"Now, of course, Strega is not a Minimoog… and I am not Sun Ra" - dude from MAKENOISE
#GreenRinger
Chankgeez

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Location: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FGhbeHujNZQ youtube.com/watch?v=V-2l7kkBURc

Postby lordgalvar » Wed Jun 14, 2017 2:17 pm

Thanks for including me. :!!!:

Idiotbox Power Boost
    This was the first time I've played a colorsound Power Boost and I really like it a ton. It would be a nearly always on effect for me...I think it really added some hair to my beta lead (ran with 2 gain...reverb is from the beta lead too). The power boost does its job nicely.
Text Wall:
The eq is just enough to kind of dial down some stuff before the amp. The boost and volume work well to kind of build a gain stage going into the amplifier's preamp and not over-saturate it but still getting a more tailored dirt tone. It made my beta lead sound better and more raw. I like Atarimatt's description of it:

If you are looking for any cliche adjectives like "transparent", "clean" and "color" this is not for you. If you want to sound like 10 dirty, raw amps on 11 then check this mother out!!!

Raw is the correct term.

Short video because I've only got like 3 different things I play :lol:

Sorry about the line noise. I had the computer plugged into the same outlet as my amp which makes beta lead angry. Also didn't use a mixer this time for the mic preamp...used the gain and noise floor of the Tascam US2x2.
Last edited by lordgalvar on Wed Jun 14, 2017 4:40 pm, edited 2 times in total.
-Ring Mods!
"I make you chocolate"
lordgalvar

Supporter
Supporter

Postby lordgalvar » Wed Jun 14, 2017 2:42 pm

Idiotbox Static Fuzz
    Just more specifically focused on this pedal with guitar and the other ways to play it. The Static Fuzz is a really nice, tight sounding fuzz pedal that almost has a frozen wah tone to it sometimes.

Text Wall:
It works well with power chords and single notes (complex chords most of the time sound kind of not worth the finger trouble on fuzz to me anyway). The eq is good enough to prep for an amp. It has good volume (boost potential).

The static filtering aspect is not what I thought at first...it's really more of an over-saturated, breaking amp tone. Like I've hit my amp too hard or ran something too hot and now there is static in the preamp, or something like that. It's neat and somewhat dynamic. The static just really needs gain and volume to really get into the mix. Boosting it before helps as does hitting the guitar strings really hard.

As I said in my previous Static Fuzz post, there are some other ways to play it. Pulling the cable kind of makes a gate-able oscillator. Sweeping the static control quickly makes the sound cut out. Even putting a filter before it with nothing plugged in changes the timbre of the noise.

The noise timbre isn't pure white noise...it's something like metallic (808 style) cmos varying square waves I think. It's much more mellow than pure white noise. It could also be just filtered to cut the high end hiss. It's a pleasant noise to me. Very kind of natural and wind like.

The pedal is a blast. I really liked it and had a ton of fun with it once I got into it's depths.

White Noise into the static fuzz was fun too. Instant foley tool box. :lol:

Additional Text Fence:
The gritty, glitchy, chop fuzz sound came out after I activated noise mode. Going back to guitar mode with gain and noise on maximum made it do that fuzz sound. It kind of acted like it upped the gain or something. Power cycling or turning the gain down made it seem to revert back to tight fuzz.

By cmos up above, I meant shift register.
-Ring Mods!
"I make you chocolate"
lordgalvar

Supporter
Supporter

Postby lordgalvar » Wed Jun 14, 2017 4:38 pm

Idiotbox Whores. Fuzz Freq
    Another short video* with similar noise problems to the Power Boost.
Text Wall:
It's a great sounding fuzz and filter. The filter is something between a wah and a resonant bandpass filter (I guess those are close anyway). It gets those kind of cocked wah fuzz tones easily. Lots of awesome riff sounds and all that. Switching between the fuzz order kinda messed with the presence of the filter and volume, but it is a nice feature. I kind of gravitated toward one ordering of the other.

The fuzz itself is good and very useable, but fairly basic which is probably why it pairs well with the filter. The whole package sounds great together and it is fairly unique. It has a lot of cut and I could see it being very useful in a band situation. Could probably even do some Dire Straits on it, if that's your thing :erm: :evil: . It's a good substitute for the wah+fuzz setup.

'Twas a blast.

*I was messing around and then starting to talk to my wife...looked down at the phone and saw something like 30 min recorded....I was like, "That's plenty". Most of that time was me talking haha. I didn't realize it until after I packed everything up...sorry I missed out on the fuzz only tones in the video and better content.
-Ring Mods!
"I make you chocolate"
lordgalvar

Supporter
Supporter

Postby lordgalvar » Wed Jun 14, 2017 5:00 pm

Last in my string:

The tourbox is already on its way to its way to the next stop. I really enjoyed being a part of this one (my first tourbox :!!!: ). I wish I could have spent more time with them.

I've had the Han-Tuan and currently own the Landphil. Idiotbox/Atarimatt makes some awesome pedals that look awesome and work/sound great. They are very stable kind of drive pedals that can be used for a lot of things and keep the sounds pretty clear/cutting (not a whole lot of compressed mud, just solid, tight drives with some rawness/character). I dig the sound a lot.

Thanks to Atarimatt and Chankgeez again.

All the videos are in this playlist: TOR series//IDIOTBOX 2017: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... KZgWkzsRa8
thanks for the Idiotbox paisties too :!!!:
Coachella 2018!

(I didn't have the jack all the way in in the first video...still worked fine!)
-Ring Mods!
"I make you chocolate"
lordgalvar

Supporter
Supporter

Postby crochambeau » Thu Jun 15, 2017 2:52 pm

It has arrived!

I'm hoping band practice isn't called off this evening so I can wind them up nice & loud, otherwise I'll find a way. I probably won't be any good in terms of providing video, but I'll certainly weigh in with my opinion.. and maybe take some scope shots.

LOOKING FORWARD TO IT
I've got to get off my ass and bring to reality that what has been quoted through existence.

Rochambeau Musical Apparatus
Reverb storefront
Shark Tank
crochambeau

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby Chankgeez » Thu Jun 15, 2017 2:58 pm

:!!!: Me too! :snax:

Have fun!
#GreenRinger
Chankgeez

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby lordgalvar » Thu Jun 15, 2017 2:59 pm

:rock:

Scope shots would be awesome!
-Ring Mods!
"I make you chocolate"
lordgalvar

Supporter
Supporter

Postby DRodriguez » Tue Jun 20, 2017 11:58 pm

Hey, I finally made some time to export shit.

https://soundcloud.com/drod91/sets/idiotbox-demos

There are 13 track. Pre and post IdiotBox Effects on the following:

Drums
Bass
Cleanish Guitar
Heavily Noised Guitar
Synth Pad
Synth Lead
Everything TOGETHER!!!!! o___________________O

All processing is identical in the clean and dirty versions, only difference is pedals on and off. Pedals are only the ones in the tourbox

Powerboost made it onto almost everything. It basically took everything and made it sound better. Whores was awesome for filtering everything.and adding some dirty scallywagging tones. Landphil was super flexible as a dirt and always dynamic somehow whatever you threw at it. Awesome right before the whores filter too.
DRodriguez

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Chankgeez » Wed Jun 21, 2017 8:29 am

Awesome, DRod, thank you!

Clips sound great!

What did you use for the "bass" there?
#GreenRinger
Chankgeez

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby crochambeau » Thu Jun 22, 2017 8:21 pm

So I'll be jamming these in the mail tomorrow (still hoping practice happens tonight, as it fell through last week), but I have had some time with these in the shop with the Quad Reverb which gives me a decent impression at volume.

I'd like to shout a round of thanks to IdiotBox, to Chankgeez for doing excellent logistics work on this, and ILF in general - the community that can pull something like this off is magnificent and I'm happy to be a part.

This experience has really put into sharp relief the concept of builder's ear for me. To put forth an analogy - (and forgive the comparison to my own builds, but it was bound to happen and I'll get it out of the way as fast as possible and remain as unbiased as I can) let's say guitar tone is a medieval battle: there's going to be punishing levels of blood and guts everywhere, things are grisly in both the moment, and the long run; and finally, stamina is really going to be a deciding factor here.

My immediate take away from spending (an admittedly short) time with the tourbox, IdiotBox has a firm clarity angle, cutting, in a sense. With the IdiotBox stuff I hear swords clanging together, the impacts and subsequent removal of small bits of leather armour (some still containing bone), chain mail, and ultimately flesh. It's a very high contrast environment for me and to be honest, not entirely my comfort zone. With RMA, I seek the rush of blood to the ears, and your war scream, letting the external action take a lower tier. The clarity and edge these works imbue on my playing are therefore outside my personal reference, so it's somewhat difficult for me to unabashedly gush - but I want to be clear that I do indeed dig the lot.

It seems like a clumsy analogy to me (not enough beer at the time of writing) but it's the closest definition of my impression I can muster.

Here's an explanation of what is going on in the following pictures: process involves a sine wave signal source to create a signal, an HP330D distortion analyzer, and an oscilloscope set to XY (this is where one channel drives horizontal deflection and the other drives the vertical). The distortion analyzer is essentially a notch filter feeding a voltmeter, and setting it up involves aligning the notch filter to the exact frequency of the sine generator (so it eliminates it completely) and then all the off band distortion artefacts are fed into the voltmeter which is pushing the left-most VU meter around (the meter was fixed at the 10% distortion scale with all these pictures). I fed sine signal to the horizontal, and the filtered output of the 330D to the vertical of the scope.

On to my rudimentary and probably unscientific analysis based on a 100 Hz signal: (NSFW tag due to heavy image content & loading love)

This pic is provided as a base line of what bypass LOOKS like on the scope. It should theoretically be a flat horizontal line, but some of the test equipment is over 50 years old, so we're living with a little ripple.

For a noise source the intuition wants to see jagged hell lines, but I believe this is normal. We have a more or less constant magnitude of noise floor injected over the signal, which results in nice smooth regions that are only interrupted by a crossover line. I did not compare the Static Fuzz to a Crustacean, as I have no built Crustaceans on hand - but my guess is that they would behave in a similar manner (when outputting white noise injected over signal). Nice, smooth, almost calming lines.

I'm guessing the trace crossover has to do with phase anomalies between the filter and tuned oscillator. Again, I'm just getting the hang of this test rig, so this is by NO MEANS DEFINITIVE. It's just eye candy, dig?

Here we see some actual distortion deflection atop the "meat" of the floor noise. Ultimately, this was the lowest output device in the batch, (as will be seen in the vertical deflections forthcoming) which is not a critique, but an observation. All units were above unity capable, as I recall, no complaints.

The Whores in only filter mode provided an interesting thought experiment. As stated, I'm just feeding these things a 100 Hz sine wave for the duration of this picture set. The filter only mode provide solid response in the low end, only to drop off in the higher range of the effect.

My conclusion was that the filter on the Whores, when pushed into the higher ranges did itself null the 100 Hz signal...

...resulting in all readings falling flat.

Whores fuzz has a healthy dose of distortion, showing over 3% on the meter (still sorting out the accuracy on this).

Filtered distortion, switch mode 1.

Filtered distortion, switch mode 2.

PART ONE
I've got to get off my ass and bring to reality that what has been quoted through existence.

Rochambeau Musical Apparatus
Reverb storefront
Shark Tank
crochambeau

IAMILF
IAMILF

PreviousNext

Return to General Gear