Recovery Effects - Motormatic 'granular ring mod'

Moderator: Ghost Hip

Re: Recovery Effects - Motormatic 'granular ring mod'

Postby Inconuucl » Sat Apr 23, 2016 5:38 pm

lordgalvar wrote:
Inconuucl wrote:It sounds alike that idea that I've been mentioning every time the subject of ring mods shows up. The whole pitch shifted signal thing. Altough this just sounds like a single repeat delay being used as the carrier.

I still want a ringmod whose carrier is a pll'd version of the input. :snax:

I've tried it several times...it's iffy functionally. I think partially due to tracking lag on the pll side, balancing issues, and too complex of a carrier (which lessens the traditional ring mod sound and it kinda comes out mediocre).

Tried with the mutron octae divider, moog freq box, harmonic decoder, and a few others to record you a video (once you mentioned it in the ring mod thread). By far the best results have been with micro samplers like the revolver. The CT5 worked OK too. I haven't figured out the right mix as of yet for the PLLs and dividers to sound good...but getting there.

Also, the further away the tracked and shifted signal is away from the original, the less it will be related. The closer (like same octave different waveform) will give you more waveshaping).

It might just be better and more functional to do something like a drone note from a stereo kinda guitar/sitar.

I've been working the heck outta these angles for the right mix for a project...it is a tough, trial and error, road haha.

I love you. :hug:

But that explains a lot, For now I'll be happy getting a ring mod with expression input and an EHX 8-step. :snax:
Le Ciel Inconnu (I was a whale once.)
NSFW: show
Chankgeez wrote:We should have a game show à la Name That Tune

Inconuucl: I can shoegaze that tune with 5 pedals.
other contestant: I can shoegaze that tune with 4 pedals.
Inconuucl: I can shoegaze that tune with 3 pedals.
other contestant: OK, shoegaze that tune!
Inconuucl: :!!!:
Inconuucl

Supporter
Supporter

Postby Eivind August » Sat Apr 23, 2016 8:53 pm

Couldn't you just get a Ringtone, then?
https://irerror.bandcamp.com/

friendship wrote:You motherfuckers think I won't fuck up a couple octoroks and assemble the Triforce?

Deals:
NSFW: show
succor, UncleBBQ, jerms, marco.desan, jwar, robapov, Tom Dalton, Gigahearts_FX, frigid midget, K2000, Tristan, untilshewokeme, backwardsvoyager, Strange Tales, brandsmannen, Ugly Casanova, goroth, Abanoise, Casavettes, multi_s, oldangelmidnight, Jero, Inconuucl, Dungus, christianatl, doralin, Wittgenstein, worra, D.o.S, rfurtkamp, blankfield, sillyfabe
Eivind August

HERO
HERO

Postby lordgalvar » Thu May 05, 2016 5:30 pm

Well, it is like a less complicated version of the Seppuku Hysteresis...sounds like a sharper Jen HF Modulator. Carrier is not suppressed at all so it continually oscillates. Really fast trem is a good way to describe it.

Not "classic definition" ring mod at all. Not bad, just granular ring mod is a bad description.

I'll have some more when I get to play it longer.
-Ring Mods!
"I make you chocolate"
    -comesect69-via-Majin Buu-by-way-of-Dirge/mtl.asm and special consideration from CA Anderton
lordgalvar

Supporter
Supporter

Postby UglyCasanova » Thu May 05, 2016 6:15 pm

If you have a drum machine mucking about, please film a short clip running that through it. Papa needs a ring mod for his drøøømz :snax:
UglyCasanova

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Chankgeez » Thu May 05, 2016 6:21 pm

UglyCasanova wrote:If you have a drum machine mucking about...

I thought I saw one lurking in a corner in one of his last videos. :snax:
psychic vampire. wrote:The important take away from this thread: Taoism and Ring Modulators go together?
…...........................…
Sweet dealin's: here
"Now, of course, Strega is not a Minimoog… and I am not Sun Ra" - dude from MAKENOISE
#GreenRinger
Chankgeez

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Location: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FGhbeHujNZQ youtube.com/watch?v=V-2l7kkBURc

Postby lordgalvar » Thu May 05, 2016 6:28 pm

UC: but but d-beat sounds terrible on a drum machine when I do it.

Honestly though, if you use your Hysteresis, it is very very close (this just has less range and option). It has some slight env/tracking with the pll osc on the chip like the thermal wave but it is very subtle (the Hysteresis has both as lfo control).
-Ring Mods!
"I make you chocolate"
    -comesect69-via-Majin Buu-by-way-of-Dirge/mtl.asm and special consideration from CA Anderton
lordgalvar

Supporter
Supporter

Postby UglyCasanova » Thu May 05, 2016 6:42 pm

But, but...the Hysteresis confuses me :lol:

I'm a simple man (when it comes to ring mods). I need a simple ring mod for live shows :erm:
UglyCasanova

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Chankgeez » Thu May 05, 2016 6:52 pm

UglyCasanova wrote: I need a simple ring mod for live shows :erm:

Yeah, it's called a "Green Ringer". :D

:duck:
psychic vampire. wrote:The important take away from this thread: Taoism and Ring Modulators go together?
"Now, of course, Strega is not a Minimoog… and I am not Sun Ra" - dude from MAKENOISE
#GreenRinger
Chankgeez

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Location: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FGhbeHujNZQ youtube.com/watch?v=V-2l7kkBURc

Postby neonblack » Thu May 05, 2016 7:21 pm

So there's constant noise between notes?
neonblack

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby lordgalvar » Thu May 05, 2016 7:27 pm

Yup, constant oscillation until it is in LFO territory...then there is a more faintnoise/hiss.

Simple ring mods? There are a ton! Frequency analyzer, randy, etc
-Ring Mods!
"I make you chocolate"
lordgalvar

Supporter
Supporter

Postby lordgalvar » Fri May 06, 2016 8:54 pm

Code: Select all
hi

Recovery motormatic vs holowon thermal wave vs audioslime

Compare those to the Jen HF Modulator;

Drum machine later.

None are ring mods. But still neat. I like the holowon a lot. Thanks to Chankgeez for finding that one.

Motormatic really needs dirt/gain pre and post to shine. Jen needs some gain after. I feel like the holowon is cool on its own and that neat env control chop trem is fun. The Seppuku is the most convoluted but has the weirdest sounds.

Hope this helps.
-Ring Mods!
"I make you chocolate"
lordgalvar

Supporter
Supporter

Postby Chankgeez » Fri May 06, 2016 9:15 pm

Yeah, they do all sound nice. :rock:

I think, in addition to "granular", "ring mod-y"/"ring mod-ish"/"ring mod-esque" is the new buzz word. "Granular ring mod" is just a double whammy (not the pedal).

Maybe we need a "fake ring mod thread". It seems like in every third demo video people are claiming aspirations of ring mod. "If you crank the rate, it sounds like a ring mod!"
#GreenRinger
Chankgeez

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby lordgalvar » Sat May 07, 2016 11:24 am

I think with granular he is referring to the pll tracking (better heard on the holowon) or the idea that chopping it up really fast makes it feel granular and ring mod refers to the speed...yea, buzzwords.

Why is ring mod a buzzword? There some experimental jazz and devo tribute acts touring? I wanna hear all the bamds using ring mods that are keeping the ring mod alive as a consumer marketing term (other than Chankgeez's band "The Chigurh Piston").

I'm kinda thinking the old seppuku slicer is related too...I know it is based off a pll chip. Maybe Hysteresis is the updated slicer?
-Ring Mods!
"I make you chocolate"
lordgalvar

Supporter
Supporter

Postby UglyCasanova » Sat May 07, 2016 2:02 pm

Could be. If I remember correctly, I asked Rhys if he could build me a Slicer and he told me he wasn't really that pleased with the original design but that he would rework it. This was maybe 2-3 months before the Hysteresis was announced.
UglyCasanova

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Previous

Return to General Gear