Please School Me on Boss HM-2 Clones

Moderator: Ghost Hip

Please School Me on Boss HM-2 Clones

Postby ck3 » Tue Apr 19, 2016 9:37 pm

After a prolonged fuzz binge, I'm thinking it may be time to tinker with distortions again. I've owned an original Boss HM-2 in the past and recall it being one of the more interesting options I've tried. I would prefer not to pay the current, inflated used price for one or to have any buffered bypass pedals in my chain and have noticed a number of boutique HM-2 clones currently available. A fellow ILFer recently informed me he found the Abominable Electonrics Throne Torcher to be underwhelming. Does anyone else have experience with the Lone Wolf Audio Left Hand Wrath, Abominable Electronics Throne Torcher, Wren and Cuff Hangman 2D, and/or BYOC The Swede or know of other HM-2 clones that may be worth trying?
ck3

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Re: Please School Me on Boss HM-2 Clones

Postby casecandy » Tue Apr 19, 2016 9:47 pm

Vidret has a Dunwich for sale I think.
casecandy

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby Jwar » Tue Apr 19, 2016 10:12 pm

The only one I've tried is the LHW and it's awesome. Not sure about the others, but it's fucking great man.
"I do not have the ability to think rationally 90% of the time and I also change my mind at the drop of a hat".

-JWAR :)
Jwar

Cosmic of BILF
Cosmic of BILF

Postby Tristan » Wed Apr 20, 2016 3:59 pm

I have the Anarchy Audio HM-2, which I think is the most true to the original, other than being true bypass.
Can't say enough good words about it, it's killer.

There's also a Left Hand Wrath in B/S/T if I'm not mistaken.
The Wren & Cuff one is ridiculously expensive.
Together with the Dunwhich HM-2 these are all approximations of the original from what I understand.
Oh yeah, the Idiotbox Dungeon Master is apparently also based on the HM-2.

To be honest I wouldn't know what could be improved about the original other than the true bypass.
good deals with: the_brow, phantasmagorovich, alexsga, DarkAxel, goroth, The Wood Wizard, Tendollarcat, vbps, monkeydancer, intothegroove, Brobee
Tristan

Supporter
Supporter

Postby ck3 » Wed Apr 20, 2016 7:07 pm

Many thanks for the replies and ideas. I should have probably mentioned my current budget is limited to the neighborhood of 150 USD at the moment, which likely means trolling Reverb or other sites for rare deals, partial trades, selling off more excess gear, or going with the Alchemy-Audio-built BYOC option. The Dunwich HM2 clone looks amazing, and the Anarchy Audio version seems decent, but is no longer made if online info is accurate. I have an Idiotbox Dungeon Master and, while the EQ part of the circuit is decidedly HM2, the distortion is more like a superfuzz modded to saturate like a muff when the gain is cranked. I've had my eye on various used Left hand Wrath pedals for quite some time, but the price has consistently been prohibitive.
ck3

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby GardenoftheDead » Wed Apr 20, 2016 8:25 pm

I'm honestly surprised nobody has made an HM-2 clone with no knobs.
GardenoftheDead

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby larsbars » Wed Apr 20, 2016 8:30 pm

GardenoftheDead wrote:I'm honestly surprised nobody has made an HM-2 clone with no knobs.

I remember looking through his ig page that Dunwich has made at least one with no knobs
Wyoming Heavy Punkgaze - Old Haunts
https://old-haunts.bandcamp.com/
larsbars

involved
involved

Postby GardenoftheDead » Wed Apr 20, 2016 10:31 pm

I think it's the most honest way to clone an hm-2.
GardenoftheDead

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby rfurtkamp » Thu Apr 21, 2016 12:59 am

I never used it for Swedish chainsaw, and kept the level near unity, gain about half, EQ so it wasn't quite an icepick.

For what they cost still, don't see the reason for a clone unless it was perfect and dirt cheap.
==
My pedalboard costs approximately 191 Metal Zones.

rfurtkamp

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby coupleonapkins » Thu Apr 21, 2016 1:56 am

DOD (standard & Super) American Metal or Behringer Heavy Metal are cheap, only one is a clone (maybe!), but what you lose via their non-true bypass (1985 was a long time ago) is probably worth what you save in price. I haven't been impressed with any of the 2nd generation of post HM-2 variations (let alone the peechee graphics of every single one, yeesh), but I am also (very) cheap & am one hoof firmly in the clone-should-probably-have-zero-knobs camp, too.
Good morning!
coupleonapkins

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby Jero » Thu Apr 21, 2016 9:30 am

coupleonapkins wrote:DOD (standard & Super) American Metal or Behringer Heavy Metal are cheap, only one is a clone (maybe!), but what you lose via their non-true bypass (1985 was a long time ago) is probably worth what you save in price. I haven't been impressed with any of the 2nd generation of post HM-2 variations (let alone the peechee graphics of every single one, yeesh), but I am also (very) cheap & am one hoof firmly in the clone-should-probably-have-zero-knobs camp, too.

If going to DOD route, you want the Super (fx56-b)...

Shameless plug: I have one for sale for $30 right now
I make noise toys under Stomping Stones

oldangelmidnight wrote:This is the classic ILF I love. Emotional highs and lows. Scooped mids in my heart all day long.
Jero

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby ck3 » Thu Apr 21, 2016 11:15 pm

The no knob option would almost work for me, though I would at least need an output level control given I use amp modeling equipment ... and it would be nice to also have an EQ/gain toggle switch for chainsaw and rat/muff hybrid tones. The price of original HM-2 pedals I've noticed on Reverb has been 75-250 USD in the past month, and the condition of the pedals and MIJ vs MIT didn't appear to be factors affecting prices. One of the main reasons I'm probably going to opt for a boutique clone instead of an original production model or DOD/Behringer derivation would be that my Atomic Amplfire often amplifies unwanted noise from input sources. I'd hate to hear what annoying line noise a buffer would produce.
ck3

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby coupleonapkins » Fri Apr 22, 2016 12:05 am

Matt Weed from Rosetta posted a custom variant recently via his Atomium blog (finished result & his earlier HM-2 analysis), so if you have the time & resources I'm sure he would do a stand-up job if you asked (along with whatever mods you need), or you could probably feasibly build something yourself via his mods/insight if you have the skills yourself (I never thought of the 18V, which makes a whole lotta sense at this point for a pedal which traditionally has all of its knobs maxed out).
Good morning!
coupleonapkins

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby frigid midget » Fri Apr 22, 2016 1:43 am

rfurtkamp wrote:I never used it for Swedish chainsaw, and kept the level near unity, gain about half, EQ so it wasn't quite an icepick.

For what they cost still, don't see the reason for a clone unless it was perfect and dirt cheap.

+1

A mij HM-2 would cost me 100Euro around here, at most. Still 'inflated' compaired to the original new price I guess, but not a ridiculous price for what you get imo. Especially not concidering slightly pimped true bypass boutique clones start from $150 or so...right? :idk:

Edit: I just now read about your reasons to go the boutique route. I hear ya. For reasons beyond my technical knowledge, some amps and signal chains seem picky about buffers and weird impedances and what not...
frigid midget

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby frigid midget » Fri Apr 22, 2016 2:44 am

Jero wrote:
coupleonapkins wrote:DOD (standard & Super) American Metal or Behringer Heavy Metal are cheap, only one is a clone (maybe!), but what you lose via their non-true bypass (1985 was a long time ago) is probably worth what you save in price. I haven't been impressed with any of the 2nd generation of post HM-2 variations (let alone the peechee graphics of every single one, yeesh), but I am also (very) cheap & am one hoof firmly in the clone-should-probably-have-zero-knobs camp, too.

If going to DOD route, you want the Super (fx56-b)...

Shameless plug: I have one for sale for $30 right now

Please tell me you can't ship that mahfakker cheapish to Europe...? Or else I won't be able to resist mah GAS...:(
frigid midget

IAMILF
IAMILF

Next

Return to General Gear