Muff Fuzz with a Boss HM-2 Tone Stack?

Moderator: Ghost Hip

Muff Fuzz with a Boss HM-2 Tone Stack?

Postby ck3 » Sat Feb 27, 2016 10:30 pm

Are there any muff fuzz pedals out there with a tone stack like the Boss HM-2? I've noticed a few muff clones here and there with controls for mids (like the Abominable Electronics Hail Satan) and parametric EQs (like the Maxon Water), and was wondering if any of them could bring teh midz like an HM-2. The Megalith clone I have now almost enters HM-2 territory, but not quite.
ck3

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Re: Muff Fuzz with a Boss HM-2 Tone Stack?

Postby ck3 » Wed Jul 19, 2017 9:23 pm

Over a year later, I almost discovered the answer to my own question: Maxon Fuzz Elements Water. It still needs a goose from something like the Maxon Fuzz Elements Wind to bring on full chainsaw grind.

Does anyone know if the Stone Deaf FX Fig Fumb EQ section has an extreme enough range to enter HM-2 territory without the aid of external gear?
ck3

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby GardenoftheDead » Thu Jul 20, 2017 1:01 am

The HM-2 peaks are very narrow parametric boosts at 88hz and in the 960 and 1200 range. The stone deaf thing seems to have the right kind of control but I don't know if the boost can be narrowed enough to give you that whistly grind sound.

http://atomiumamps.tumblr.com/post/1391 ... 2-analysis
GardenoftheDead

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby Mosfed » Thu Jul 20, 2017 3:52 pm

Good to learn the EQ points
Mosfed

committed
committed

Postby rfurtkamp » Thu Jul 20, 2017 10:16 pm

I can fake one in the Source Audio Kingmaker with those EQ points if you're inclined.
==
My pedalboard costs approximately 191 Metal Zones.

rfurtkamp

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby ck3 » Fri Jul 21, 2017 1:50 pm

The abovementioned near-success with a Maxon Water could not be replicated with a different guitar. I was also using channel 1 on my Boss GL-100 with the EQ set near what sounds like HM-2 range. There are definitely layers involved here, and it is, indeed, extreme. Though it would be easier to get an HM-2, I'm looking for a more muff-like alternative.

That Tumblr link should be helpful, though I tried to use it as a guide with my amp modeler about a year ago and wasn't quite able to dial in the chainsaw curve. It will likely pay to try again, and I didn't bookmark the page, so thanks for the URL.

If the Kingmaker can bring some muffy chainsaw, I'm all ears. :hello:
ck3

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby dozicusmaximus » Fri Jul 21, 2017 3:05 pm

I ran my Fuzzrocious Demon King (OCD) into my HM2 last weekend at my guitarists house. Fucking gnarly. The Demon King can get pretty fuzzy on it's own, nothing crazy.
dozicusmaximus

committed
committed

Postby rfurtkamp » Fri Jul 21, 2017 5:09 pm

ck3 wrote:If the Kingmaker can bring some muffy chainsaw, I'm all ears. :hello:

Muff engine plus HM-2 EQ range ends up chainsawy enough.

Screwing around with that engine at :30ish in (although it's most of the gain in the piece, I don't ride it on fulltime).

Ye Olde Les Paul High Performance > Kingmaker > RE-20 when delay > Hot Rod Deluxe (Oktava condenser+DI out of the attenuator mixed).

http://soundcloud.com/rfurtkamp/something-wishful-this-way-comes
==

rfurtkamp

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby AZX309 » Sat Jul 22, 2017 2:22 am

just go for the full ham and get a cheap graphic EQ. or get Jeff from Damnation audio to make another one of those one band EQs
https://www.instagram.com/maskaudioelectronics/
D.o.S. wrote:you're not my real dad

Corey Y wrote: Tone is in the dingus.
AZX309

committed
committed

Postby rfurtkamp » Sat Jul 22, 2017 2:35 am

AZX309 wrote:just go for the full ham and get a cheap graphic EQ. or get Jeff from Damnation audio to make another one of those one band EQs

Graphic won't quite get you there, need to adjust the Q and get more in the ballpark than generic sliders.
==

rfurtkamp

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby ck3 » Sat Jul 22, 2017 6:21 pm

Thanks for the ongoing suggestions and input.

The Kingmaker definitely sounds Black-Metal-worthy, but I'm not quite hearing the characterstic HM-2 "growl" in that clip (though this may be my dinky phone speakers coloring things).

Are there any links to and/or clips for that Damnation Audio EQ? I was unable to find any via Google and site searches here.

I never thought to cascade an HM-2 and muff back when I owned both, which, no doubt, sounds gnarly as a mofo (on guitar as well as bass).

Maxon Water with boosting plus Channel 1 of my Boss GL-100 will probably be a short-term solution for the time being. I plan to also explore new para EQ options added in the latest Zoom MS-70CDR firmware and to dust off my Atomic Amplifire soon (which has the option of at least 3 parametric EQs positioned anywhere in the signal chain).

If the correct EQ curve can be achieved, the next frankenfuzz hybrid will be Bee Baa with HM-2 grind. :doom:
ck3

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby rfurtkamp » Sat Jul 22, 2017 6:25 pm

Keep in mind I'm also not running it into a cheap solid state practice amp or Marshall either, so if you're looking for that half of the grind, it ain't there!

I'm still working on getting a Bee Baa EQ plot set up right myself, but it's not a priority as I have a proper (with ugly boost) build here already.
==

rfurtkamp

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby ck3 » Sat Jul 22, 2017 6:35 pm

That makes sense given how direct things sounded. I need to route my phone through my cheap solid state rig for a more accurate assessment. :thumb:
ck3

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby rfurtkamp » Sat Jul 22, 2017 6:37 pm

I'm a clean Fender guy (or JC if I want additional clarity)!
==

rfurtkamp

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby ck3 » Sat Jul 22, 2017 6:44 pm

Wow. Apparently, my LG phone speakers were designed by audio terrorists intent upon robbing tone from all audio that passes through them. I'll need to give that clip a second listen through my PC speakers, which are more full-range.
ck3

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Next

Return to General Gear