Ring (and/or Balanced) Modulation for the modulator masses

Moderator: Ghost Hip

Re: Ring (and/or Balanced) Modulation for the masses

Postby friendship » Sat Nov 18, 2017 12:42 pm

if it looks like it belongs in a submarine, it probably sounds good
sound journal

actualidiot wrote:12-bit's almost analog, right?
friendship

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Chankgeez » Sun Nov 19, 2017 2:43 pm

psychic vampire. wrote:The important take away from this thread: Taoism and Ring Modulators go together?
…...........................…
Sweet dealin's: here
"Now, of course, Strega is not a Minimoog… and I am not Sun Ra" - dude from MAKENOISE
#GreenRinger
Chankgeez

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Location: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FGhbeHujNZQ youtube.com/watch?v=V-2l7kkBURc

Postby _r_ » Sun Nov 19, 2017 3:07 pm

Update on the Gonkulator - I absolutely love it on bass. Love tuning the frequency down really low to the key of whatever I'm playing in and dialling some distortion in - it's like having a dirt pedal with a clean blend but with a bit of added glitchy synth weirdness. Not sure what the alt-country band that I play bass in will make of it but hey. Also been rehearsing for a solo electronic set which involves my Volca Bass playing a constant one-note drone for about 15 minutes with LFO modulation and knob-twiddling to vary it so tried running that through the Gonkulator. Similarly boss. I particularly like really cranking the resonance of the Volca's filter to the point where it's audible as a note and letting that interact with the ring mod, especially with the LFO doing its thing. Makes all kinds of phantom arpeggiated notes appear!

I honestly never knew I needed a ring mod so much...
Fane - folk music from the furthest reaches
_r_

committed
committed

Location: The United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland

Postby lordgalvar » Mon Nov 20, 2017 12:34 am

Black cat is indeed a nice looking pedal. Mine's broke.

Dr Strangelove! Kinda fun having that little delay in there.
-Ring Mods!
"I make you chocolate"
    -comesect69-via-Majin Buu-by-way-of-Dirge/mtl.asm and special consideration from CA Anderton
lordgalvar

Supporter
Supporter

Postby crochambeau » Mon Nov 20, 2017 1:59 am

I just got back from band practice, where I had deployed a Monobius with expression input. It turns out that sweeping the carrier frequency with a treadle like a wah is something I have been missing.
I've got to get off my ass and bring to reality that what has been quoted through existence.

Rochambeau Musical Apparatus
Reverb storefront
Shark Tank
crochambeau

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby Chankgeez » Mon Nov 20, 2017 1:07 pm

Yep, that's awesome. :thumb:

And, apparently, the Gonkulators are on sale at Sweetwater: https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/Gonkulator
psychic vampire. wrote:The important take away from this thread: Taoism and Ring Modulators go together?
…...........................…
Sweet dealin's: here
"Now, of course, Strega is not a Minimoog… and I am not Sun Ra" - dude from MAKENOISE
#GreenRinger
Chankgeez

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Location: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FGhbeHujNZQ youtube.com/watch?v=V-2l7kkBURc

Postby retinal orbita » Mon Nov 20, 2017 4:52 pm

Gonk rules. I use mine with a HM-2 and a DOD Death Metal for the dirt section of my noisecore band
retinal orbita

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby $harkToootth » Mon Nov 20, 2017 4:53 pm

crochambeau wrote:I just got back from band practice, where I had deployed a Monobius with expression input. It turns out that sweeping the carrier frequency with a treadle like a wah is something I have been missing.

Curtis...you know what you have to do...
I. Write up a detailed "Crochambeau style" explanation/add-copy
II. Make a video

"Please" and "Thank you" Sir!!! :animal:
"SWIPE LEFT ASSHOLE!" -retinal orbita
"Whatever ASSHOLE here’s my pedal that makes humpback whale noises and also it has a built in sequencer so stick it in your craw! -retinal orbita
"Patty Mullen takes me from a ball peen to a sledge" -The Great Velvet Hammer
"...at this exact moment Divine has learned of your jealous scheme from the local town gossip. She also has your address, ASS HOLE!" -Narrator (Mr. J) PINK FLAMINGOS
1 bird per post please
$harkToootth

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby adamajah » Mon Nov 20, 2017 5:22 pm

Chankgeez wrote:Yep, that's awesome. :thumb:

And, apparently, the Gonkulators are on sale at Sweetwater: https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/Gonkulator

Yeah... i couldn't resist that... :idk: :cool:
adamajah

experienced
experienced

Postby Dandolin » Mon Nov 20, 2017 8:42 pm

Stop worrying and learn to love the carrier.

Also, I gonkulated.
Last edited by Dandolin on Tue Nov 21, 2017 8:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"In a moment of unparalleled genius, Noel Parachute headed off this potential disaster by unplugging the microphone."
Dandolin

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby BoatRich » Mon Nov 20, 2017 10:27 pm

retinal orbita wrote:Gonk rules. I use mine with a HM-2 and a DOD Death Metal for the dirt section of my noisecore band

I just grabbed one and it’s definitely getting stacked with an HM-2. What order do you run them in?
BoatRich

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby retinal orbita » Tue Nov 21, 2017 12:50 pm

BoatRich wrote:
retinal orbita wrote:Gonk rules. I use mine with a HM-2 and a DOD Death Metal for the dirt section of my noisecore band

I just grabbed one and it’s definitely getting stacked with an HM-2. What order do you run them in?

Right now my board is HM-2, DOD Death Metal, Moogerfooger Ring (in a loop) Gonkulator, Gristleizer, DD7 but I'm always tinkering. I should post a pic tonight
retinal orbita

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby BoatRich » Tue Nov 21, 2017 1:49 pm

retinal orbita wrote:
BoatRich wrote:

Right now my board is HM-2, DOD Death Metal, Moogerfooger Ring (in a loop) Gonkulator, Gristleizer, DD7 but I'm always tinkering. I should post a pic tonight

I’m thinking it’ll go in between my HM-2 and a DOD BiFet. I like rat style drives boosted and I’ve heard this is similar to a RAT?
BoatRich

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby BetterOffShred » Tue Nov 21, 2017 3:05 pm

It's not strictly a ring mod.. But I just bought a Phantom Arcade off Reverb. Been looking for one for a while, it's got the badass pixel graphics too. So pumped :!!!:
BetterOffShred

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby actual » Sat Nov 25, 2017 6:09 am

Adventure Audio have premiered a sexy new best of a ring mod, the Outer Rings. Pre-order is up on their site.

"This is a brand new take on a ring mod. As far as we know, this topology has never been done before. I will attempt to sum up whats going on here in a very brief, brief, extra brief explanation.

The core function of the Outer Rings is to multiply the input signal by an internal square wave oscillator. This multiplication produces a square wave containing harmonic energy mathematically related to the harmonic content of your input signal and the oscillator. That can then be added together with your post-gain signal for some truly outer galaxy tones.

Because we like to adventure and take things further, we didn't stop at one oscillator... we included a modulating oscillator to sweep and wiggle the frequency of the multiplying oscillator hands free. (Look ma, we're modulating now!) You can use it as an LFO to change the pitch super slow (we're talking 10+ seconds for a full pitch sweep) or rev it up into the audio range and make the the multiplying oscillator do some math and make some sweet, sweet frequency modulation in the process. "

Demo:
https://www.instagram.com/p/Bb5Hix_lJIn ... ture_audio

https://adventurepedals.com/products/outer-rings
Mixing and mastering? Makeshift Audio
actual

IAMILF
IAMILF

PreviousNext

Return to General Gear