Ring (and/or Balanced) Modulation for the modulator masses

Moderator: Ghost Hip

Re: Ring (and/or Balanced) Modulation for the masses

Postby Inconuucl » Sat Jan 02, 2016 12:28 pm

I've always wanted a ring mod that tracks the note you're playing + interval. Kinda like the bastard son between a green ringer and a pog. :lol: Even better to add a slew control, to delay the time that it takes to reach the note. It's like one of my dream pedals. :drool:
Le Ciel Inconnu (I was a whale once.)
NSFW: show
Chankgeez wrote:We should have a game show à la Name That Tune

Inconuucl: I can shoegaze that tune with 5 pedals.
other contestant: I can shoegaze that tune with 4 pedals.
Inconuucl: I can shoegaze that tune with 3 pedals.
other contestant: OK, shoegaze that tune!
Inconuucl: :!!!:
Inconuucl

Supporter
Supporter

Postby Chankgeez » Sat Jan 02, 2016 12:31 pm

Have you tried the SubDecay Vitruvian Mod?
psychic vampire. wrote:The important take away from this thread: Taoism and Ring Modulators go together?
…...........................…
Sweet dealin's: here
"Now, of course, Strega is not a Minimoog… and I am not Sun Ra" - dude from MAKENOISE
#GreenRinger
Chankgeez

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Location: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FGhbeHujNZQ youtube.com/watch?v=V-2l7kkBURc

Postby lordgalvar » Sat Jan 02, 2016 12:40 pm

Inconuucl wrote:I've always wanted a ring mod that tracks the note you're playing + interval. Kinda like the bastard son between a green ringer and a pog. :lol: Even better to add a slew control, to delay the time that it takes to reach the note. It's like one of my dream pedals. :drool:

Freq box or pll with a wet and dry out....take wet out and put that into your carrier osc in on something like the moog, carlin, frostwave, etc. (I don't remember if randy's revenge has an osc in?). Any tracking pedal would work....even put something in a blender and just blend the wet/dry to separate inputs....instant moving ring mod....could probably wire that up if you want?

or use the subdecay one

Anyway:
Guitar
full wet delay (like Amdek or something....or a ping pong delay on a boss or something???)
(dry output) -> amp or blender/mixer
(wet output)
V
RMA tetanus (or two output pedal)
Output 1 -> harmonic decoder/octasynth/etc -> MF102 carrier osc in
Output 2 -> MF102 normal input -> MF102 output to amp or blender/mixer

Isn't the Ring Thing supposed to do something like that too?
-Ring Mods!
"I make you chocolate"
    -comesect69-via-Majin Buu-by-way-of-Dirge/mtl.asm and special consideration from CA Anderton
lordgalvar

Supporter
Supporter

Postby insubordination » Sat Jan 02, 2016 2:23 pm

Inconuucl wrote:I've always wanted a ring mod that tracks the note you're playing + interval. Kinda like the bastard son between a green ringer and a pog. :lol: Even better to add a slew control, to delay the time that it takes to reach the note. It's like one of my dream pedals. :drool:

Aside from the slew control, Vitruvian is a good choice for this, as noted above. Fantastic and versatile pedal, very different than any other ring mod in that it's more like an octave pedal, but you can't completely dial out the base square wave distorted sound. Sort of like the Root knob on the Bit Commander if you're familiar. It's not clean plus ring modded note, if that makes sense.
Good deals on ILF: too many to list, just ask!

http://difficult.band
http://missingskull.bandcamp.com
insubordination

Supporter
Supporter

Postby Inconuucl » Sat Jan 02, 2016 3:01 pm

lordgalvar wrote:

Freq box or pll with a wet and dry out....take wet out and put that into your carrier osc in on something like the moog, carlin, frostwave, etc. (I don't remember if randy's revenge has an osc in?). Any tracking pedal would work....even put something in a blender and just blend the wet/dry to separate inputs....instant moving ring mod....could probably wire that up if you want?

Oh man, that would sounds amazing. I'd love that. :love: I should have bought a passive ring mod when I had my PLL, altough that would have been overkill since I'd had to turn off all but one of the voices. :lol:
Le Ciel Inconnu (I was a whale once.)
Chankgeez wrote:We should have a game show à la Name That Tune

Inconuucl: I can shoegaze that tune with 5 pedals.
other contestant: I can shoegaze that tune with 4 pedals.
Inconuucl: I can shoegaze that tune with 3 pedals.
other contestant: OK, shoegaze that tune!
Inconuucl: :!!!:
Inconuucl

Supporter
Supporter

Postby lordgalvar » Sat Jan 02, 2016 4:43 pm

Will do man....would probably be pretty easy, even with delay, with the moog pedals...
-Ring Mods!
"I make you chocolate"
    -comesect69-via-Majin Buu-by-way-of-Dirge/mtl.asm and special consideration from CA Anderton
lordgalvar

Supporter
Supporter

Postby lordgalvar » Mon Jan 04, 2016 1:29 pm

So upon initial investigation a tracking synth pedal doesn't work very well (esp after delay). I tried the setup with the Moog MF104m, Freqbox, and MF102 ring mod. Spend a few minutes this morning before I go out to the shop.

Possible Reasons I think:
-Not really enough separation between carrier and modulator (will try something more sub octave than freqbox or harmonic decoder).
-Delayed signal esp from BBD delays is degraded and it has less for the PLL/synth pedal to track. On top of that, after fully muting the signal, the carrier is not present and their is nothing to ring mod for the modulator (shorter delay times worked better due to, I'm guessing sharper signal and a more ready carrier)
-Signal mismatch (doubtful).

However, I did try a few other configurations. I used the moog freqbox in sync mode tracking (in different setups) the delayed or normal signal. When tracking the delayed signal, I ran the freqbox osc out to the carrier in and it worked ok. When I ran the freqbox on the mix (mixed to full dry signal), I ran the delayed to the audio in of the ring mod with the freqbox as the carrier to get a cleaner signal for the freqbox to track...not much better but better.

The thing that worked best was to use the freqbox env tracking output to control the carrier in and then use the delayed out of the MF104m to trigger the env on the freqbox via the delay out. Nice, squirrel-y, high drone kinda results. But that wasn't the goal haha.

Ummm, I guess I could try the octasynth...but I don't know how much better it will work. But, at least, there should be more separation between modulator and carrier that way (with two octaves down). I did record most of this, so I will edit something up eventually.
-Ring Mods!
"I make you chocolate"
lordgalvar

Supporter
Supporter

Postby Chankgeez » Mon Jan 04, 2016 1:46 pm

Abanoise has this Menatone O-Ring up for sale on the D*A*M forum.

Looks pretty interesting, never heard one though. Couldn't find any clips or demos either. :idk:
psychic vampire. wrote:The important take away from this thread: Taoism and Ring Modulators go together?
"Now, of course, Strega is not a Minimoog… and I am not Sun Ra" - dude from MAKENOISE
#GreenRinger
Chankgeez

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Location: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FGhbeHujNZQ youtube.com/watch?v=V-2l7kkBURc

Postby Phosphene Audio » Mon Jan 04, 2016 10:23 pm

Chankgeez wrote:
Also, does anyone have any experience with passive ring modulation?

I made a few diode/xfmr ring mods for friends and thought they sounded pretty good, though the first few I made had no carrier suppression.

The last one I made had a VCA that the carrier passed through with the CV supplied from an envelope generator that tracked the input signal. Even though it was intended for guitar, it was huge and had no footswitch and had a bunch of ins and outs for CV:

Phosphene Audio

committed
committed

Postby coupleonapkins » Thu Jan 07, 2016 4:10 am

Anyone mention the Black Cat Ring Modulator yet? It was a clone of the Maestro, but w/ a CV & Loop. A few were floating around for sale for awhile, but that ship seems to have sailed (also sadder still, since the Maestro is a few thousand or so at this point, give or take).
Good morning!
coupleonapkins

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby Chankgeez » Thu Jan 07, 2016 10:58 am

Phosphene Audio wrote:
I made a few diode/xfmr ring mods for friends and thought they sounded pretty good, though the first few I made had no carrier suppression.

The last one I made had a VCA that the carrier passed through with the CV supplied from an envelope generator that tracked the input signal. Even though it was intended for guitar, it was huge and had no footswitch and had a bunch of ins and outs for CV:

Thanks for posting. Our soundcloud tags seem to be broken. Not sure if this is the same clip you're talking about. If so, sounds pretty good:

https://soundcloud.com/phosphene-audio/ ... ral-office

coupleonapkins wrote:Anyone mention the Black Cat Ring Modulator yet? It was a clone of the Maestro, but w/ a CV & Loop. A few were floating around for sale for awhile, but that ship seems to have sailed (also sadder still, since the Maestro is a few thousand or so at this point, give or take).

Not sure if it's been mentioned yet, but we're only four pages in. So, nice that you mentioned it. Thank you.
#GreenRinger
Chankgeez

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby lordgalvar » Thu Jan 07, 2016 11:17 am

I remember the black cat...there was something weird about it...but I can't remember haha (years ago).
-Ring Mods!
"I make you chocolate"
lordgalvar

Supporter
Supporter

Postby Eivind August » Thu Jan 07, 2016 11:21 am

Yeah, never seen one of those Black Cats for sale. And I vaguely remember someone having issues with them? The schematics for the Maestro Ring Mod are out there though, so you might be able to have one built.

On the subject of ring mods, check out the Copilot FX Robotum - cheap and awesome.

https://irerror.bandcamp.com/

friendship wrote:You motherfuckers think I won't fuck up a couple octoroks and assemble the Triforce?

Deals:
succor, UncleBBQ, jerms, marco.desan, jwar, robapov, Tom Dalton, Gigahearts_FX, frigid midget, K2000, Tristan, untilshewokeme, backwardsvoyager, Strange Tales, brandsmannen, Ugly Casanova, goroth, Abanoise, Casavettes, multi_s, oldangelmidnight, Jero, Inconuucl, Dungus, christianatl, doralin, Wittgenstein, worra, D.o.S, rfurtkamp, blankfield, sillyfabe
Eivind August

HERO
HERO

Postby lordgalvar » Thu Jan 07, 2016 11:23 am

Saw that yesterday! 'Twas awesome and can't wait for mine!
-Ring Mods!
"I make you chocolate"
lordgalvar

Supporter
Supporter

Postby lordgalvar » Thu Jan 07, 2016 3:41 pm

Or use a microphone for feedback as a carrier (and fun talk box).
-Ring Mods!
"I make you chocolate"
lordgalvar

Supporter
Supporter

PreviousNext

Return to General Gear