Ring (and/or Balanced) Modulation for the modulator masses

Moderator: Ghost Hip

Re: Ring (and/or Balanced) Modulation for the masses

Postby retinal orbita » Fri Feb 16, 2018 2:25 pm

baremountain wrote:
retinal orbita wrote:Also if I were to say, buy one of those EHX sequencer pedals would that allow me to use the ring mod into a sequencer? I am a CV knooob. I will google, obv.

You'd ideally want something with a larger voltage swing than an 8-step sequencer. A Korg SQ-1 would be better, as it can send 0-8V, which is closer to the ~9V range the Outer Rings looks for at its inputs. Note, however, that you can still totally use the 8-step Program. With the knob at 0, it will reach up to about 2 or 3 o'clock on the knob face, and if you set the knob you're controlling via CV to about 10' or 11 o'clock, as the knob position adds an offset (same as adding + ~3V to every step of your sequence).

Also re: the gain, I think any blend of the ring mod is going to add what seems like a lot of gain, even at low gain settings, because ring mod is an inherently noisy effect.

That is really helpful, thank you. I have a small DIY mono synth that doesn’t have CV out but I’m thinking I could finally move into sequencer land via the CV out on the Outer Rings. The SQ-1 is quite reasonably priced too!

As far as the gain knob, I dig the fuzz sounds but I’m sure it will be able to clean up somewhat, but yeah, a little noise is no big deal. That Knobs video was great but I use RM in a much different fashion.
retinal orbita

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby Dandolin » Mon Feb 19, 2018 1:43 pm

So, this happened:

I'd been watching this and a pre-built Carlin v. 2 on EBay, but got distracted scheming on an Outer Rings @ the Reverb sale, when the Carlin disappeared (hope somebody here picked it up - - it was a nice price and I remain intrigued by that circuit...maybe I'll test my wiring skillz on a kit).

Realizing that it was not the right time for the Outer Rings expenditure, I made an offer on the Moosapotamus @ about half of what a sale OR was going for, and this morning they accepted. I'm thinking it will likely stick around even after I score an OR later this year....

For those who aren't familiar, it's based on the old Craig Anderton circuit. I like the option to switch in a low-pass filter and am intrigued by the effects loop, even if I only ever put dirt or eq in there. But trying out a trem, flanger, another ring mod--things might get wiggy :trippy:
Last edited by Dandolin on Mon Feb 19, 2018 3:10 pm, edited 3 times in total.
"In a moment of unparalleled genius, Noel Parachute headed off this potential disaster by unplugging the microphone."
Dandolin

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Chankgeez » Mon Feb 19, 2018 1:47 pm

:snax:
psychic vampire. wrote:The important take away from this thread: Taoism and Ring Modulators go together?
…...........................…
Sweet dealin's: here
"Now, of course, Strega is not a Minimoog… and I am not Sun Ra" - dude from MAKENOISE
#GreenRinger
Chankgeez

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Location: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FGhbeHujNZQ youtube.com/watch?v=V-2l7kkBURc

Postby Dandolin » Mon Feb 19, 2018 1:48 pm

:snax: :snax: :snax:

North Penn Ring Mod Sessions
"In a moment of unparalleled genius, Noel Parachute headed off this potential disaster by unplugging the microphone."
Dandolin

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Chankgeez » Mon Feb 19, 2018 1:58 pm

Is that some Penn's Wood in your pocket or are you just happy to see me? :rock:
psychic vampire. wrote:The important take away from this thread: Taoism and Ring Modulators go together?
"Now, of course, Strega is not a Minimoog… and I am not Sun Ra" - dude from MAKENOISE
#GreenRinger
Chankgeez

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Location: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FGhbeHujNZQ youtube.com/watch?v=V-2l7kkBURc

Postby Dandolin » Mon Feb 19, 2018 2:11 pm

said the actress to the archbishop....
Last edited by Dandolin on Mon Feb 19, 2018 3:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dandolin

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby retinal orbita » Mon Feb 19, 2018 2:19 pm

Interesting unit - what does the tone switch do? I really like the tone knob on the minifooger.....

Also sorry so the ring is the amount of ring mod and the clean is the amount of clean? Isn't that kind of the same thing as one blend knob? :idk:
retinal orbita

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby Dandolin » Mon Feb 19, 2018 3:05 pm

retinal orbita wrote:Interesting unit - what does the tone switch do? I really like the tone knob on the minifooger.....

Also sorry so the ring is the amount of ring mod and the clean is the amount of clean? Isn't that kind of the same thing as one blend knob? :idk:

Yes - - you're spot on - - there's an internal mixer with separate volume controls for clean and ring modulator sounds instead of a blend knob on the mixed path. I think if it's implemented well it can be more flexible in a rig, though obviously more fiddly. The low pass filter is "in the ring modulator signal path." But I'm not clear if that means pre-or post-mix. I think it's post-, so like a conventional tone roll-off to take some of the edge off. This might be easily moddable to allow for a a choice of different roll-off values, or a pot (not sure how complex the implementation of the lp filter is, though, so maybe not).

I think this would make sense, because the effects loop allows the clean signal path to be processed through other effects *before* it is blended with the ring modulator signal. This way you can condition the "input" signal to increase or decrease the harmonic content of the signal being processed, and also process the harmonic content of the resultant "ring" output, all while leaving the "clean" tone at the output of the mixer relatively unmolested.... :idk: that's all just my supposition as a user, not a builder/designer....

I like the way it sounds in this demo:

http://moosapotamus.net/audio/RingBalmClip.mp3
Dandolin

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby lordgalvar » Mon Feb 19, 2018 4:04 pm

I have a dirge built ca ring mod on a mtlasm board. It's a temperamental noise machine.

I was watching that ring balm too...but went for outer rings this time haha.

First impression of outer rings (had some money I saved for a cylinder head I blew on it...got here next day some how?)
Outer rings is just ok. I tried it...it's got some nice stuff for the price, but it's got some weaknesses. The carrier doesn't got real slow like the Moog. The mod osc is fun sometimes but I think the Moog and old way huge did it better (yea, I know the CV and exp give it potential that way, but usually the extra mod is overkill to me). The carrier/modulator balance gets all wacky at some settings and kinda requires retuning with the strange. Haven't looked inside yet.
-Ring Mods!
"I make you chocolate"
    -comesect69-via-Majin Buu-by-way-of-Dirge/mtl.asm and special consideration from CA Anderton
lordgalvar

Supporter
Supporter

Postby Chankgeez » Mon Feb 19, 2018 4:14 pm

:snax:
#GreenRinger
Chankgeez

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby lordgalvar » Mon Feb 19, 2018 4:37 pm

Forgot to say: outer rings did seem to take gain well enough (ran the kuro kage into it) and i didn't notice any bleed.
-Ring Mods!
"I make you chocolate"
    -comesect69-via-Majin Buu-by-way-of-Dirge/mtl.asm and special consideration from CA Anderton
lordgalvar

Supporter
Supporter

Postby Dandolin » Mon Feb 19, 2018 6:16 pm

lordgalvar wrote:I have a dirge built ca ring mod on a mtlasm board. It's a temperamental noise machine.

I was watching that ring balm too...but went for outer rings this time haha.

First impression of outer rings (had some money I saved for a cylinder head I blew on it...got here next day some how?)
Outer rings is just ok. I tried it...it's got some nice stuff for the price, but it's got some weaknesses. The carrier doesn't got real slow like the Moog. The mod osc is fun sometimes but I think the Moog and old way huge did it better (yea, I know the CV and exp give it potential that way, but usually the extra mod is overkill to me). The carrier/modulator balance gets all wacky at some settings and kinda requires retuning with the strange. Haven't looked inside yet.

:)*
Dandolin

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby retinal orbita » Mon Feb 19, 2018 7:18 pm

Mine arrived today - very unique. I got sounds out of it in 5 minutes I've not been able to coax from other ring mods, there's a lot of tweakability you don't find with other ring mods. However it's also hard to dial in that "classic" bloop bleep robot clang, but I have other ones where you can do that easy peasy. The oscillator can be VERY apparent and overrun the entire sound, but this is very cool. It's also very glitchy, it has a kind of gristlizer effect going on as well at some settings.

Very interested to see what else I can work with this effect with more use. Transport switch is fucking awesome.

Verdict so far: worth the wait, worth the price, definitely got a "Radiophonic Workshop in a box" vibe happening.
retinal orbita

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby baremountain » Tue Feb 20, 2018 10:21 am

Feeling the same way so far, Retinal! There have been plenty of settings where Tilt is towards the ring mod side, but it sounds like a messed up fuzz or something, and less like a dialup modem. I think the Outer Rings is going to be mainly about finding sweet spots. I could also probably benefit from re-watching a tutorial or reading the manual now that I've got it in front of me, but it's pretty easy to work your way around it. The Strange control is definitely the key to unlocking this thing's potential I think, as turning that is typically what brings me quickly from 'weird fuzz' to oscillations from hell. That said, still not getting clanginess the way that my roommates EHX Frequency Analyzer does.
Inner Vegas wrote:I don't think anyone is Obama

#wheresthebirthcertificate #obamahoax

solo tunes:
completed works || loosey goosey releases
associated acts:
Raab Zamboni (fake jazz/real noise//sax, modular synth, editing, misc) || Field Guide (my best friends//sax on 2 tracks)

I make t-shirts, patches, koozies, buttons, CDs, sometimes tapes, and eventually i'll start working on pedals again. DM me for pricing!
baremountain

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby MrNovember » Tue Feb 20, 2018 12:24 pm

I hate when they scan an item delivered before they actually deliver it. Hopefully this at least means it's on the truck and I'll have my Outer Rings by the end of the day
MrNovember

Modulae of BILF
Modulae of BILF

PreviousNext

Return to General Gear