Ring (and/or Balanced) Modulation for the modulator masses

Moderator: Ghost Hip

Re: Ring (and/or Balanced) Modulation for the masses

Postby penelope tree » Mon Dec 11, 2017 10:06 pm

It must be one of the few effects that Mooer and/or the other Chinese manufacturers hasn't cloned yet! I suppose they haven't really attempted to replicate oscillating fuzz pedals either.

Might try one of the mini multi effects or just invest in something a bit larger and more expensive. I've got a Gonkulator but it's pretty limited and I like to use it with guitar.
penelope tree

committed
committed

Postby Chankgeez » Tue Dec 12, 2017 7:29 pm

psychic vampire. wrote:The important take away from this thread: Taoism and Ring Modulators go together?
…...........................…
Sweet dealin's: here
"Now, of course, Strega is not a Minimoog… and I am not Sun Ra" - dude from MAKENOISE
#GreenRinger
Chankgeez

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Location: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FGhbeHujNZQ youtube.com/watch?v=V-2l7kkBURc

Postby lordgalvar » Tue Dec 12, 2017 7:53 pm

That was awesome! Marf+296 is some powerful stuff .
-Ring Mods!
"I make you chocolate"
    -comesect69-via-Majin Buu-by-way-of-Dirge/mtl.asm and special consideration from CA Anderton
lordgalvar

Supporter
Supporter

Postby Chankgeez » Fri Dec 22, 2017 8:11 pm

Somethin' wacky's goin' on on this track:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ueHO2cB55Cs

:D
psychic vampire. wrote:The important take away from this thread: Taoism and Ring Modulators go together?
"Now, of course, Strega is not a Minimoog… and I am not Sun Ra" - dude from MAKENOISE
#GreenRinger
Chankgeez

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Location: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FGhbeHujNZQ youtube.com/watch?v=V-2l7kkBURc

Postby Chankgeez » Sat Dec 23, 2017 4:36 pm

Have we talked about this one yet?:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PJXVvlsPBjE
#GreenRinger
Chankgeez

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby shikawkee » Sat Dec 23, 2017 5:36 pm

Chankgeez wrote:Have we talked about this one yet?:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PJXVvlsPBjE

I love that one! On my list.
Singer-songwriter, composer and author. I also manufacture and distribute Gary Hall designed and endorsed Lexicon PCM42 mods. Owner of HOSAT Effects. BETA tester for Line 6 and Eventide.
shikawkee

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby shikawkee » Sun Dec 24, 2017 11:25 am

Although I must admit having a mix knob with ring mod is highly desirable. Any other than Randy's Revenge have this (with the same amount of features)?
Singer-songwriter, composer and author. I also manufacture and distribute Gary Hall designed and endorsed Lexicon PCM42 mods. Owner of HOSAT Effects. BETA tester for Line 6 and Eventide.
shikawkee

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby Chankgeez » Sun Dec 24, 2017 12:00 pm

You mean aside from the Moog MF-102?

Or do you want something smaller than that? :D

Because the RMA Monobius also has mix, but it's not really much smaller.

Been meaning to try the Wilson Mycelium which also has a mix control.

I'm sure there're plenty others, but those immediately come to mind. Yeah, control over the mix is useful.
#GreenRinger
Chankgeez

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby shikawkee » Sun Dec 24, 2017 12:03 pm

Chankgeez wrote:You mean aside from the Moog MF-102?

Or do you want something smaller than that? :D

Because the RMA Monobius also has mix, but it's not really much smaller.

Been meaning to try the Wilson Mycelium which also has a mix control.

I'm sure there're plenty others, but those immediately come to mind. Yeah, control over the mix is useful.

Yeah, smaller than the Moog. Love those Moog's but sheesh! :lol:
shikawkee

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby Chankgeez » Sun Dec 24, 2017 12:09 pm

I think more ring mods than not have a mix/blend control.

Dwarfcraft are comin' out with a new Hax. Not sure what size it'll be.

RMA are working on the Polybius. Although, that's sure not gonna be small.

LAL Sick Pitch King Jr. is pretty small.

I think even the Moog MF Ring has a mix on it.
#GreenRinger
Chankgeez

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby friendship » Sun Dec 24, 2017 12:15 pm

Chankgeez wrote:I think even the Moog MF Ring has a mix on it.

it does. essential control for a ring mod imo
sound journal

actualidiot wrote:12-bit's almost analog, right?
friendship

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby crochambeau » Sun Dec 24, 2017 12:50 pm

Vermona RM-1 has a mix as well, but it comes in a rack enclosure.. and I'm not entirely certain it remains in production.

Chankgeez wrote:RMA are working on the Polybius. Although, that's sure not gonna be small.

It is on my mind to start attempting to emulate the miniaturization trend that kicked off in the 1980s, but some stuff will remain larger due to interface.. I expect the Polybius will fall into that class. Offering more compact versions of builds is definitely a blip on my radar.

I plan on seeing how small I can build a Monobius once I am all caught up, the PCB is only 3x3.75 inches - transformer height does offer some interference points though.
I've got to get off my ass and bring to reality that what has been quoted through existence.

Rochambeau Musical Apparatus
Reverb storefront
Shark Tank
crochambeau

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby bigchiefbc » Sun Dec 24, 2017 1:32 pm

shikawkee wrote:Although I must admit having a mix knob with ring mod is highly desirable. Any other than Randy's Revenge have this (with the same amount of features)?

EHX Frequency Analyzer has one, my favorite ring mod. That sounds beast with the low filter on and the mix around 40%
Buy my gear! viewtopic.php?f=44&t=58763

Achtane wrote:I can hit it with a Blowing Up and it'll just sound awesome instead of like capacitors farting into each others' dicks.

Achtane wrote:
last.fm wrote:Zs makes music that is variously categorized as no-wave, post-jazz, brutal-chamber, brutal-prog, and post minimalist.

srsly?

Fuck you.
bigchiefbc

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby retinal orbita » Sun Dec 24, 2017 1:53 pm

The big and small Moog's both have mix controls, even the GONK has one!

IMO now that I own both, you could do really well with the smaller Moog as a basic but incredible entry point. Mix, tone and frequency are just perfect for a no frill ring mod. The bigger one has a ton of amazing features the little guy can't do but for the basics it's a total bang for your buck.
retinal orbita

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby Chankgeez » Sun Dec 24, 2017 2:19 pm

crochambeau wrote:
It is on my mind to start attempting to emulate the miniaturization trend that kicked off in the 1980s, but some stuff will remain larger due to interface.. I expect the Polybius will fall into that class. Offering more compact versions of builds is definitely a blip on my radar.

I plan on seeing how small I can build a Monobius once I am all caught up, the PCB is only 3x3.75 inches - transformer height does offer some interference points though.

No worries on my part. On a lot of those small pedals the knobs are a little too close for comfort for me.

I'd gladly sacrifice not having a pedal in a small enclosure if all the knobs don't move when I try to adjust just one of 'em. :D

Small is beautiful, but only when it makes sense. #appropriatetechnology(andallthatgoodstuff)
#GreenRinger
Chankgeez

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

PreviousNext

Return to General Gear