Ring (and/or Balanced) Modulation for the modulator masses

Moderator: Ghost Hip

Re: Ring (and/or Balanced) Modulation for the masses

Postby aen » Wed Dec 26, 2018 2:32 pm

Chankgeez wrote: :whoa: Mike Hermans isn't usually someone I'd associate with ring modulation. :idk:

Mike Hermans associates with those who pay him, yo.
Chankgeez wrote:
DWARFCRAFT: We are not fucking around this year.
aen

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Chankgeez » Wed Dec 26, 2018 3:40 pm

… and then he also promptly sells the demo pedal. :snax:
psychic vampire. wrote:The important take away from this thread: Taoism and Ring Modulators go together?
…...........................…
Sweet dealin's: here
"Now, of course, Strega is not a Minimoog… and I am not Sun Ra" - dude from MAKENOISE
#GreenRinger
Chankgeez

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Location: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FGhbeHujNZQ youtube.com/watch?v=V-2l7kkBURc

Postby lordgalvar » Thu Dec 27, 2018 9:50 pm

-Ring Mods!
"I make you chocolate"
    -comesect69-via-Majin Buu-by-way-of-Dirge/mtl.asm and special consideration from CA Anderton
lordgalvar

Supporter
Supporter

Postby Dowi » Fri Dec 28, 2018 9:18 am

lordgalvar wrote:
NSFW: show
When I first started with LG, I would just listen to the song and do sound effects (like bridge...make metallic knife of hone sounds or it's an intro so make it like wind, or accent (or anti-accent for off beat) the drums).

When my friend switched from keys to bass and we sometimes ran in the same frequencies so it became more about phase canceling and harmonic control over what wasn't in the mix. Kind of like remixing and effecting the band with speakers instead of processors. It sounds pretty stupid outside of a band, but there were some moments of magic. As I got a little better at guitar, I kind of lost some of that "how can I make this work with extremely limited skills" experimental edge and became more standard punk rock guitar player....which is sadly where I'm at now (I think this is more because of not being in a band...and we went from a 5 peice to a 2 peice before it ended so I needed to be more of a solid rhythm player).

I honestly don't remember a single riff or how I did it...all kind of on the fly. I've always felt that ring mod gives me that ability to try stuff without worrying if I'm musically right...like focus on rhythm as a percussion synth or a sound effect texture guy or raw riffs (even just using it as an octave fuzz) or a ring mod guitar to voice talk box for fucked Peter Frampton.

I'm always interested in how people use it...We all approach so wildly different that it always amazes me the depth that these six components offer. To me, ring mod is a great illustration basic simplistic concept with near infinite depth and levels of interpretation.

Still ain't even a solid guitar player haha.

Post clips of any cool stuff you find or bad ass ring mods! More bands with more ring mod is always a good thing! (Hibagon is pretty dang fun!)

Followed your advice last night during a long jam session. Actually enjoyed a lot looping stuff with the CT5 while spinning knobs on the Bitquest in Ring Mod mode, mostly for ambient/deep space sounds while the others where playing along the main rhythm. Too bad I sold the Randy's the day before christmas :facepalm:

Ps yeah with Hibagon I don't use the ring mod very much except for selected "noise" moments, but I m gradually inserting more of that stuff in the new stuff we re writing
BIRCH BARK | Solo stuff | Bandcamp - Youtube
HIBAGON | Polyrhythmic Heavy Duo | Bandcamp - Spotyshit
Dowi

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby Chankgeez » Wed Jan 02, 2019 9:58 am

psychic vampire. wrote:The important take away from this thread: Taoism and Ring Modulators go together?
"Now, of course, Strega is not a Minimoog… and I am not Sun Ra" - dude from MAKENOISE
#GreenRinger
Chankgeez

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Location: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FGhbeHujNZQ youtube.com/watch?v=V-2l7kkBURc

Postby lordgalvar » Wed Jan 02, 2019 11:08 am

It's only got one hole. I'm confused.

Is it a drone osc with a ring mod?

Dowi: Awesome!
-Ring Mods!
"I make you chocolate"
    -comesect69-via-Majin Buu-by-way-of-Dirge/mtl.asm and special consideration from CA Anderton
lordgalvar

Supporter
Supporter

Postby Chankgeez » Wed Jan 02, 2019 12:03 pm

#GreenRinger
Chankgeez

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby lordgalvar » Wed Jan 02, 2019 12:34 pm

Didn't see the other hole. I'm not perceptive haha. ZVex stylin'. Should've looked for the video.
Thanks Chanks!
-Ring Mods!
"I make you chocolate"
lordgalvar

Supporter
Supporter

Postby Chankgeez » Wed Jan 02, 2019 12:37 pm

:thumb: That jack's hiding in the for sale photos. :idk:
#GreenRinger
Chankgeez

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby lordgalvar » Wed Jan 02, 2019 1:20 pm

tkdlpxvg2wh01.jpg
tkdlpxvg2wh01.jpg (66.93 KiB) Viewed 2993 times
-Ring Mods!
"I make you chocolate"
lordgalvar

Supporter
Supporter

Postby Eivind August » Wed Jan 02, 2019 7:40 pm

lordgalvar wrote:Didn't see the other hole. I'm not perceptive haha.

Sounds like my first time.
https://irerror.bandcamp.com/

friendship wrote:You motherfuckers think I won't fuck up a couple octoroks and assemble the Triforce?

Deals:
NSFW: show
succor, UncleBBQ, jerms, marco.desan, jwar, robapov, Tom Dalton, Gigahearts_FX, frigid midget, K2000, Tristan, untilshewokeme, backwardsvoyager, Strange Tales, brandsmannen, Ugly Casanova, goroth, Abanoise, Casavettes, multi_s, oldangelmidnight, Jero, Inconuucl, Dungus, christianatl, doralin, Wittgenstein, worra, D.o.S, rfurtkamp, blankfield, sillyfabe
Eivind August

HERO
HERO

Postby Chankgeez » Fri Jan 11, 2019 2:29 am

#GreenRinger
Chankgeez

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Dandolin » Fri Jan 11, 2019 4:05 pm

In addition to my :love: :drool: for the Monobius posted in the RMA tourbox thread, I've been meaning to say, I am getting a chance to know the Moody Way that kicked this whole shindig off in post #1, and dat thing seriously needs more rep in here. :trippy: :zen: :animal:
"In a moment of unparalleled genius, Noel Parachute headed off this potential disaster by unplugging the microphone."
Dandolin

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby lordgalvar » Fri Jan 11, 2019 4:51 pm

Yes, Carlin/moody way is one of my favorites. (I haven't played moody way though with the envelope filter...just the base transistor based multiplier is cool...buchla 100 series is similar).

Monobius is love! One of my all time favorites. Might be the easiest to just plug in one pedal and have tons of useful ring mod and fuzz sounds as far as ring mod pedals go. It's tops.

Reading your post in the RMA thread: your elta isn't unique in feeling like it needs calibration. It drops oscillation at slow settings and goes out of balance easily. It really looks nicer than it is overall. It just doesn't feel strong haha (I don't know what that means, just a gut feeling). It's got lots of options though. Would love to compare it to the deadend pcb, an old gigahearts, or an og lovetone. Hexe carrier is a similar setup with digital ramping and stuff but it's the opposite: it feels like too much and is like harsh noise (plus a dumb power supply).
-Ring Mods!
"I make you chocolate"
lordgalvar

Supporter
Supporter

Postby Dandolin » Fri Jan 11, 2019 4:55 pm

Yes, exactly --thanks; appreciate your input on that! In addition to the frustrating variability, it does overall just come across weak. And kinda grainy in a weird way. :idk:

You would love the Moody Way--the filters really add to it, whether set up for envelope-following movement or fixed. Lots of unique textures on tsp :love:
"In a moment of unparalleled genius, Noel Parachute headed off this potential disaster by unplugging the microphone."
Dandolin

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

PreviousNext

Return to General Gear