Computer based ambient drone: Tim Hecker, Ben Frost etc...

Moderator: Ghost Hip

Re: Computer based ambient drone: Tim Hecker, Ben Frost etc.

Postby _r_ » Sun Dec 31, 2017 6:48 am

Ah thanks man, glad it helped! Funnily enough someone said something very similar to me after my last gig and I've generally found the production of drone music has helped me with my own problems - I can't help but feel I'm veering too close to producing New Age 'spiritual healing' music which would be the time to pack it in and go back to playing country...
Fane - folk music from the furthest reaches
_r_

committed
committed

Location: The United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland

Postby Dandolin » Sun Dec 31, 2017 9:03 am

Haha--no worries about that - - I just like a good bit of something new, not holding out for spiritual healing and I didn't find your piece to be new agey; although I do find drones to be kinda inherently calming because they blot out the distracting background "noise" and chatter in my mind and around me. I like it when the drone maker drops in bits of their own distracting noise though too, haha....

Also, I like banjo, and I like hearing it used for other purposes than the historical norm.... Do you ever use alt/non-standard tunings on your banjo?
"In a moment of unparalleled genius, Noel Parachute headed off this potential disaster by unplugging the microphone."
Dandolin

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby _r_ » Sun Dec 31, 2017 11:40 am

I always have it tuned to gDGCD, usually capo'ed on the second fret, which is called 'sawmill tuning' and a great tuning for that high-and-lonesome mountain banjo sound!
_r_

committed
committed

Postby codetocontra » Sun Dec 31, 2017 6:07 pm

Sounded awesome _r_. Bonus points for using the banjo in a way that didn't sound like a jingle for Copenhagen. What was this project based upon, or how did you get involved with it? Some other interesting tracks there.
codetocontra

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby _r_ » Mon Jan 01, 2018 8:09 am

I just stumbled across the call for submissions on Facebook, a friend of mine who makes the same sort of music was tagged in it, and my interest was piqued straight away. The theme of the compilation is simply music inspired by the phrase 'A View From A Hill', which given what a big influence nature and general outdoorsy stuff has on my work was right up my street. The label (Linear Obsessional) has loads of good stuff worth checking out!

But yeah, one of the most difficult things about being a banjo player is shaking the whole Mumford & Sons/generic folk-pop ad music thing...
_r_

committed
committed

Postby $harkToootth » Mon Jan 01, 2018 8:15 pm

Making my way through this list now. Figured it would be of interest to the people here.
"SWIPE LEFT ASSHOLE!" -retinal orbita
"Whatever ASSHOLE here’s my pedal that makes humpback whale noises and also it has a built in sequencer so stick it in your craw! -retinal orbita
"Patty Mullen takes me from a ball peen to a sledge" -The Great Velvet Hammer
"...at this exact moment Divine has learned of your jealous scheme from the local town gossip. She also has your address, ASS HOLE!" -Narrator (Mr. J) PINK FLAMINGOS
1 bird per post please
$harkToootth

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Dandolin » Mon Jan 01, 2018 8:36 pm

^^schweet--thx :thumb:
"In a moment of unparalleled genius, Noel Parachute headed off this potential disaster by unplugging the microphone."
Dandolin

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby $harkToootth » Sun Jan 07, 2018 10:21 pm

This sort of counts? Very layered...laptop is integral. Soooooooo funky :cool:
Jon Hopkins live.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hHe0nckLiYU
Wish this was longer...Thomas Köner live.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8evw47Bh8KQ
"Whatever ASSHOLE here’s my pedal that makes humpback whale noises and also it has a built in sequencer so stick it in your craw! -retinal orbita
"...at this exact moment Divine has learned of your jealous scheme from the local town gossip. She also has your address, ASS HOLE!" -Narrator (Mr. J) PINK FLAMINGOS
1 bird per post please
$harkToootth

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby _r_ » Mon Jan 08, 2018 5:38 pm

Any good tips on the creation of some nasty-sounding noise? Thinking 'very badly tuned radio' sort of sound, sort of varying between distorted signals and white noise if that makes sense? I can make droney pads with Paulstretch with the best of 'em but not too au fait on really corrupting sound...

As for context, why not? I wrote a song on my mandolin today that is allegorically about climate change and the general futility of human existence (!) and I kind of want to bury it under a wall of noise, sort of doing to folk music what those early Jesus & Mary Chain singles did to 60s pop. I'm going to run the mandolin through my Rainbow Machine with the tone rolled all the way off and the Magic dimed to give it an extra level of weirdness but would be good to have some other noise sounds in this track.
_r_

committed
committed

Postby D.o.S. » Tue Jan 09, 2018 7:48 am

Sure. what have you got available as far as gear/sound manipulation aside from Paulstretch?
good deals are here.
escapecraft is here.
UglyCasanova wrote: It's not the expensive programs you use, it's the way you click and drag.

Achtane wrote:
comesect2.0 wrote:Michael Jackson king tut little Richard in your butt.

IT'S THE ENNNND OF THE WORRRLD AS WE KNOW IT
D.o.S.

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby moid » Tue Jan 09, 2018 8:50 pm

If you have a DAW that can do sidechaining or ducking, then using a recording of noise from a shortwave radio fed through too many fuzz pedals as a volume reducer in a side chain on your mandolin will break it up fiercely - if you like that Basinski Disintegration Loops sort of effect.

I would run the recording through some intense fuzz and reverb and delays set to oscillate and slowly blend that back into the original mandolin track - that can be pretty noisy too :)
moid

experienced
experienced

Postby _r_ » Wed Jan 10, 2018 2:20 pm

That sounds cool! Wondering what the self-oscillation on my Arc Flash can do to it too...
_r_

committed
committed

Postby $harkToootth » Fri Jan 03, 2020 7:37 pm

Sometimes one has to exfoliate a thread... I did not read this whole thing but I plan on posting research on things Russell Haswell used during the Live Salvage era. I have this 2000 Dell Laptop in my trunk right now that I might not throw out just for the LOL's of making music with it.

EDIT: I am yet to find what I am looking for but found this along the way http://5against4.com/2019/01/24/free-in ... karkowski/. It's always a treat to find a live Zbigniew Karkowski set you've never heard before!
1 bird per post please
$harkToootth

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby _r_ » Sun Jan 05, 2020 1:24 pm

Good to have this thread back. Here's a computer drone album I've enjoyed recently. I find it's always a good sign when you see 'audiomulch' as a Bandcamp tag!
_r_

committed
committed

Previous

Return to General Gear