Sometimes Brian Wampler should just shut his whore mouth...

Moderator: Ghost Hip

Re: Waiting for Nels Cline to post here...

Postby Chankgeez » Fri Jul 22, 2016 5:30 pm

1958'd
psychic vampire. wrote:The important take away from this thread: Taoism and Ring Modulators go together?
…...........................…
Sweet dealin's: here
"Now, of course, Strega is not a Minimoog… and I am not Sun Ra" - dude from MAKENOISE
#GreenRinger
Chankgeez

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Location: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FGhbeHujNZQ youtube.com/watch?v=V-2l7kkBURc

Postby Jwar » Fri Jul 22, 2016 6:09 pm

WHO the fuck is Nels Cline??? Also, this is amazing in an odd way. I dig a lot of this.

"I do not have the ability to think rationally 90% of the time and I also change my mind at the drop of a hat".

-JWAR :)
Jwar

Cosmic of BILF
Cosmic of BILF

Postby lordgalvar » Fri Jul 22, 2016 6:42 pm

All I know about Nels Cline is he uses an EHX 16- second digital delay. Never listened to him I don't think though.
-Ring Mods!
"I make you chocolate"
    -comesect69-via-Majin Buu-by-way-of-Dirge/mtl.asm and special consideration from CA Anderton
lordgalvar

Supporter
Supporter

Postby popvulture » Fri Jul 22, 2016 8:02 pm

jwar wrote:WHO the fuck is Nels Cline???

Avant rock/jazz guitarist, played with the Geraldine Fibbers, solo and lots of collabs, would say he falls in the weirdo / arty / esoteric category alongside players like Ribot, Frisell (apparently they were roommates in NY at a point), Aarto Lindsay, etc. Also a full time member of Wilco—he plays much more mainstream type stuff with them, but gets plenty weird in there. Big Jazzmaster guy. Very rad.
neonblack wrote:They say tone is in the hooks

D.o.S. wrote:I'm pretty sure moderation leads to Mustang Sally.

coldbrightsunlight wrote:Yes I am a soppy pop person at heart I think with noises round the edge

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JphJfwsUbT4
popvulture

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby moid » Sat Jul 23, 2016 6:31 pm

Well I'm now glad I bothered to look up Nels Cline! I had heard of Wilco but they've never really sounded that interesting to me - when I read written descriptions of their music I think I should like this and then it turns out to be not particularly different alternative rock; nice enough, but nothing special. However the solo guitar playing I found here is amazing:

Does anyone know what the device he is singing through at 0:50 is? It sounds angelic and destroyed at the same time. Also does he have any solo albums with material like the above? Thanks for any suggestions :)
moid

experienced
experienced

Postby Chankgeez » Sat Jul 23, 2016 6:42 pm

Ha, ha, yeah, that's the same vid jwar posted on the last page.

What he's singing through is an old kid's toy. It was marketed under a bunch of different names. It basically amplifies your voice and has a lot of different ways to effect it.

psychic vampire. wrote:The important take away from this thread: Taoism and Ring Modulators go together?
"Now, of course, Strega is not a Minimoog… and I am not Sun Ra" - dude from MAKENOISE
#GreenRinger
Chankgeez

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Location: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FGhbeHujNZQ youtube.com/watch?v=V-2l7kkBURc

Postby Tristan » Sat Jul 23, 2016 6:47 pm

Haha, I totally agree, Wilco is quite boring to me but that stuff is something else. :lol: :thumb:
good deals with: the_brow, phantasmagorovich, alexsga, DarkAxel, goroth, The Wood Wizard, Tendollarcat, vbps, monkeydancer, intothegroove, Brobee
Tristan

Supporter
Supporter

Postby jrfox92 » Sat Jul 23, 2016 8:34 pm

jwar wrote:WHO the fuck is Nels Cline???

Since I always forget:

Inconuucl wrote:You can't kill Strymon, it'll just resurrect 3 days later.

BitchPudding wrote:Despite all my rage, I am still just eating tacos in a cage.

Inconuucl wrote:Welcome to ilf, we have three jokes and twelve posters. <3
jrfox92

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby popvulture » Sun Jul 24, 2016 2:42 pm

I'm a huge Wilco fan, although I feel like they've certainly stagnated a bit over the past ten years. The stuff they continue to release is good, but it'd say the phenomenon's a bit similar to Radiohead—more of the same, nothing groundbreaking as of late, but nonetheless enjoyable.

Nels' playing with them, though... oy it's so wonderful. Couple of my fave examples:

coldbrightsunlight wrote:Yes I am a soppy pop person at heart I think with noises round the edge

popvulture

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby DarkAxel » Sun Jul 24, 2016 3:31 pm

to me, Wilco won me over when Nels joined them. Don't really dig them before that...

aside from that one record where Tweedy played the lead guitar, there were some rad songs... but Nels+Wilco = my kind of Wilco
I make pedal demos as East Stomp Boutique - http://www.youtube.com/c/eaststompboutique

great deals: Jwar Kayzer Bellyheart wfs1234 bronzetalon Ech0 Scruffie MaxMaps solarolosonoio Schlatte WeHuntKings Monkeydancer Eric! Univalve Huggernaut fuzzmax amorphous Tristan Goroth dan_abnormal Obulus Jrmy BitchPudding beezlebub ianmarks darkfield Abanoise Jskadiang Disarm D'Arcy Snufkino Gerb somethingclever fidget
DarkAxel

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby popvulture » Sun Jul 24, 2016 3:59 pm

Oh yeah man. A Ghost is Born. Some of those Tweedy leads were so gross.

popvulture

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby D.o.S. » Mon Jul 25, 2016 10:53 am

I have a copy of Yankee Hotel Foxtrot. I suspect I feel the same way about Wilco as people who don't like Radiohead feel about Radiohead.
good deals are here.
escapecraft is here.
UglyCasanova wrote: It's not the expensive programs you use, it's the way you click and drag.

Achtane wrote:
comesect2.0 wrote:Michael Jackson king tut little Richard in your butt.

IT'S THE ENNNND OF THE WORRRLD AS WE KNOW IT
D.o.S.

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Chankgeez » Mon Jul 25, 2016 11:05 am

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot is kinda like their breakout album, but it predates Nels Cline's time in the band. :idk:
#GreenRinger
Chankgeez

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby voerking » Mon Jul 25, 2016 12:39 pm

DarkAxel wrote:aside from that one record where Tweedy played the lead guitar

i'm guessing you mean A Ghost is Born (?)...i'm pretty sure Jeff plays the vast majority of the lead guitar on Star Wars, too.
voerking

experienced
experienced

Postby DarkAxel » Mon Jul 25, 2016 12:51 pm

Can't get into Star Wars but yeah, I meant Ghost is Born

everyone loves Yankee Hotel Foxtrot but... shit, I'd rather watch live youtube videos of YHF songs with Nels :idk:
I make pedal demos as East Stomp Boutique - http://www.youtube.com/c/eaststompboutique

great deals: Jwar Kayzer Bellyheart wfs1234 bronzetalon Ech0 Scruffie MaxMaps solarolosonoio Schlatte WeHuntKings Monkeydancer Eric! Univalve Huggernaut fuzzmax amorphous Tristan Goroth dan_abnormal Obulus Jrmy BitchPudding beezlebub ianmarks darkfield Abanoise Jskadiang Disarm D'Arcy Snufkino Gerb somethingclever fidget
DarkAxel

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

PreviousNext

Return to General Gear