WMD Geiger Counter

Moderator: Ghost Hip

WMD Geiger Counter

Postby neonblack » Fri Mar 27, 2015 12:59 am

Well crap. More GAS.

Someone tell me this pedal isn't worth it. Talk me out of hunting for a cheap used one.

Actually, don't. But really, how is it? I was trying to move away from playing crazy noise rock in favor of more "profitable" "bar-friendly" music, but that isn't working either, so I'm back to it with a vengeance.

Anyways, I'm thinking of grabbing the civilian issue at some point. I don't think I need the insane tweakability of the full sized one (not for $300) but the civilian issue seems friendly enough to approach.

Any thoughts or experience? Any better/comparable pedals in the same price range for crazy digital angry tones?
neonblack

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Re: WMD Geiger Counter

Postby HeavyXIII » Fri Mar 27, 2015 1:59 am

I find cheap ring mods, filters and other nappy fuzz and distortions get close, but are never quite the same. AFAIK, there aren't too many pedals that are marketed as "digital distortion", because apparently nobody wants that.

In other words you don't want to buy the one in BST.

Really, you do, but not as much as me.
Good Deal List: bearbeams, pena_55, sonidero, greyscales, ChetMagongalo, xchristophex, Monkey Boy, krautrocker, osbornkt

D.o.S. wrote:Like, I don't just listen to Whores when I'm sitting alone in my room with the lights off staring at a wall. Sometimes I listen to it with the lights on, too.

Carkoon, my Posty, Doomy, Dadcore band
FACEBOOK | https://www.facebook.com/carkoondoom/
BANDCAMP | https://carkoon.bandcamp.com/releases
HeavyXIII

experienced
experienced

Postby neonblack » Fri Mar 27, 2015 2:01 am

HeavyXIII wrote:I find cheap ring mods, filters and other nappy fuzz and distortions get close, but are never quite the same. AFAIK, there aren't too many pedals that are marketed as "digital distortion", because apparently nobody wants that.

In other words you don't want to buy the one in BST.

Really, you do, but not as much as me.

Oh jeez, I didn't even know there was one in the BST.

Damnation.
neonblack

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby oscillateur » Fri Mar 27, 2015 5:20 am

What you really want is the eurorack version of it.
Because voltage control of many parameters.
Obviously you'll have to get a case and some other modules to go with it :).
oscillateur

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby Tristan » Fri Mar 27, 2015 6:01 am

Geiger Counter is not worth it I think, there's no blend control (single most important feature on a SRR) and there's loads of cooler options around.
good deals with: the_brow, phantasmagorovich, alexsga, DarkAxel, goroth, The Wood Wizard, Tendollarcat, vbps, monkeydancer, intothegroove, Brobee
Tristan

Supporter
Supporter

Postby Uncle Grandfather » Fri Mar 27, 2015 6:55 am

neonblack wrote: (not for $300)

Theres nothing quite like it, it's incredibly versatile and great for using on EVERYTHING if you're a recording artist. Just wait for the pro version to come out and you can probably scoop up the regular at a discounted prices as people start unloading them to get the pro.
Uncle Grandfather

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby tuj » Fri Mar 27, 2015 6:56 am

If you can hang on, there is the promise of a WMD GC Pro version coming....

The WMD GC opened my doors of perception on transfer functions. Get a little mini notebook to write down your settings. Awesome tones to be had with this box. Also you MUST try it with an expression pedal too!!!

Check out what it does to a drum loop: http://www.renkucorp.com/audio/exm/gc_drums_demo2.mp3
Last edited by tuj on Fri Mar 27, 2015 7:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
so much gear...
tuj

committed
committed

Postby Strange Tales » Fri Mar 27, 2015 7:14 am

Is the Pro version actually coming soon? I thought that has been in the works for a couple years now.
木枯らし // 木漏れ日 // 風に綱は戦ぐ

Strange Tales Distro - Japanese Underground Music Distribution in the US

Invisible Man wrote:Strange Tales: putting the ‘weeb’ in ‘dweeb’ since whenever.
Strange Tales

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Uncle Grandfather » Fri Mar 27, 2015 7:31 am

Strange Tales wrote:Is the Pro version actually coming soon? I thought that has been in the works for a couple years now.

I think i saw a photo of it/prototype from namm, maybe jwar posted it?

Here's a demo I made using just one waveform to show the different ways you can sculpt the sound, in fact there is even further manipulation cause I didn't use the toggle. It's amazing how much control you have, and there are like 252 different waveforms to choose from.
Uncle Grandfather

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby tuj » Fri Mar 27, 2015 7:52 am

It was shown at NAMM-15, https://twitter.com/wmdevices
so much gear...
tuj

committed
committed

Postby Strange Tales » Fri Mar 27, 2015 8:27 am

Oh shit, awesome! I guess I missed that with everything else going on at NAMM. I'm waiting for the massive Geiger Counter price drop while everyone dumps theirs for a pro.
木枯らし // 木漏れ日 // 風に綱は戦ぐ

Strange Tales Distro - Japanese Underground Music Distribution in the US

Invisible Man wrote:Strange Tales: putting the ‘weeb’ in ‘dweeb’ since whenever.
Strange Tales

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Tristan » Fri Mar 27, 2015 8:30 am

Uncle Grandfather wrote:
neonblack wrote: (not for $300)

Theres nothing quite like it, it's incredibly versatile and great for using on EVERYTHING if you're a recording artist. Just wait for the pro version to come out and you can probably scoop up the regular at a discounted prices as people start unloading them to get the pro.

That's also true, I think the Geiger Counter is probably more suited to run tracks through than as a guitar / bass pedal, however for that particular application I think I'd rather go with a Biscuit though.
The Geiger Counter Civilian just seems like a not quite there thing in my opinion, it doesn't have the features to be useful as a guitar / bass pedal and too little options to work as a device to mangle your tracks with.
As for guitar / bass pedals I'd rather go with one of these:
Hexe Bitcrusher III, Iron Ether FrantaBit, Malekko Scrutator, Montreal Assembly Wrong Side Of Uranus, Red Panda BitMap
good deals with: the_brow, phantasmagorovich, alexsga, DarkAxel, goroth, The Wood Wizard, Tendollarcat, vbps, monkeydancer, intothegroove, Brobee
Tristan

Supporter
Supporter

Postby HeavyXIII » Fri Mar 27, 2015 10:58 am

I seem to recall asking the builder about adding a blend pot and he said it would be relatively easy. Hell, I think he even offered to do it for me, but I ended up parting with it before I realized how much I would miss it.
Good Deal List: bearbeams, pena_55, sonidero, greyscales, ChetMagongalo, xchristophex, Monkey Boy, krautrocker, osbornkt

D.o.S. wrote:Like, I don't just listen to Whores when I'm sitting alone in my room with the lights off staring at a wall. Sometimes I listen to it with the lights on, too.

Carkoon, my Posty, Doomy, Dadcore band
FACEBOOK | https://www.facebook.com/carkoondoom/
BANDCAMP | https://carkoon.bandcamp.com/releases
HeavyXIII

experienced
experienced

Postby tuj » Fri Mar 27, 2015 3:28 pm

I do not like the civilian issue, not enough functions and missing the SRR and BRR portions and the exp. pedal input.
so much gear...
tuj

committed
committed

Postby tjlong » Fri Mar 27, 2015 8:25 pm

easily in my top 5 favorite pedals of all time. i love using it. guitar bass synth. just destroys your signal in weird interesting ways
the amount of sounds you can get from it is insane.
its hands down the most brutal, grinding, distortion pedal ive ever used.
it doesnt have a mix control tho. if thats a big deal for u, u can get one of those 1 knob blender things.
theres a Pro version thats supposed to be dropping real soon and it has mix and best of all..presets! i will buy it.
tjlong

committed
committed

Next

Return to General Gear