· Gen · Guit · · Bldrs · B/S/T ·

Switch to full style
General Gear Discussion - effects, synths, etc.
Post a reply

Re: The Whatever Thread .. For Gear!!

Wed Mar 07, 2018 11:17 am

Also awesome:

Wed Mar 07, 2018 3:02 pm

comesect2.0 wrote:yeah screw yoko ono's hammer nail painting, something like boyd rice and his off set albums or I think peter christopherson did that^ with a usb album, peter from ciat lonbarde has done exhibits where the wall is a paper circuit and your suppose to go up to it and fiddle...much better than, ''okay now.. everyone spit on this canvas.. and by the end of the week it will be framed'' and sold for 99,000,000.

Hirofumi/LAL did stuff like that paper circuits.

KLF still wins for the cash nailed to canvases.

Fri Mar 09, 2018 2:03 am

https://reverb.com/shop/hand-made-synths
seen these forever and finnaly watched a demo and they sound pretty unique,
Hello
It looks like you know your sounds! yes, arduino 328p, with mozzi libraries.
Hand Made Synths

Tue Mar 13, 2018 5:50 pm

I want a BAT crown of horns.. though it's apparently an opamp muff with the Pharaoh tone stack and the horns switch is just a tone bypass.. maybe I'll try to clone it.. and then throw in a 1P6T rotary for clipping like Pharaoh supreme ..

Wed Mar 14, 2018 6:00 am

I want this for silly reasons. been on a drum pad percussion device quest...then you find other shit...
like this!

..or...
.....this!

Wed Mar 14, 2018 10:23 am

All cool stuff there man

Thu Mar 15, 2018 11:38 am

Anyone else have a really nice/expensive guitar that they think about selling, because it's so nice you don't want to take it out of the case too much? I am struggling with that with my Gretsch Black Phoenix. It plays and sounds amazing and every time I play it I'm worried I'm going to scratch it or bang it into something. Most of the time I play I end up grabbing the beater Ibanez I have sitting out and leaning against a pile of boxes, because it doesn't have a case/gigbag.

Thu Mar 15, 2018 11:52 am

Corey Y wrote:Anyone else have a really nice/expensive guitar that they think about selling, because it's so nice you don't want to take it out of the case too much? I am struggling with that with my Gretsch Black Phoenix. It plays and sounds amazing and every time I play it I'm worried I'm going to scratch it or bang it into something. Most of the time I play I end up grabbing the beater Ibanez I have sitting out and leaning against a pile of boxes, because it doesn't have a case/gigbag.

I don't have any guitars that are super expensive, I have a mid 90's PRS and it's probably my most expensive guitar.. but yeah man I play them all the same. I don't like the idea of some resale market imposing it's requirements on how I treat my instruments. That's not to say I beat them all or wear aggressive belt buckles to teach them all a lesson, but my guitars are all well played. I have stands and cases so I don't have them piled up in a heap at least.

Instruments want to be played. I definitely shared your feelings with the first couple .. now Id rather have a scratched up guitar that I play all the time.

Disclaimer: I don't sell my gear ever. I'm a total gear hoarder. This undoubtedly contributes to my viewpoint.

Thu Mar 15, 2018 11:58 am

i was like that with my Rickenbacker, but after the back got some scratches i stopped caring so much. i'm definitely of the opinion that if you have it, play it. which isn't to say that i beat the guitars up...i have a Tokai Les Paul sunburst that i baby.

Thu Mar 15, 2018 11:59 am

Anyone ever buy a product from a builder and ask "can you get it to sound like this" and they say "yeah no problem" and then you get it and... they absolutely nail it? That's a good feeling.

Thu Mar 15, 2018 12:04 pm

I'm not generally in favor of worrying about resale value with gear. All the gear that I got increased value on when selling over the past 15 years, was because I bought it dirt cheap when it was supremely uncool and then it got hyped. I have on occasion splurged on something really nice to treat myself. Well...like literally TWICE in 20 years. I bought a Gibson Les Paul Custom new after I got married, kept it for 10 years, gigged it occasionally, played it pretty well, modded it (but kept it in nice condition) and then traded it for a custom amp and pedal build, after I bought a Carvin Bolt Plus that I used for the same tones and liked better (and still have). I bought the Gretsch with the money we saved on buying a new house under budget after we moved. Just because I always wanted one and they were always too much $$ for me to justify it.

Philosophically, when it comes to gear, I'm all about if it sounds good and you like playing it, it's the best choice. I'm not a snob about brands, I'm not really a collector anymore (and never was, in the TGP kind of way). The other nicest guitar I have is a 1980 Gibson SG and that was a gift from my dad, after my oldest son was born. The shit I have bought for myself that I play regularly...all probably under $400 at most. Sometimes with some pickup upgrades. The bass I play the most, I built the body myself and spent probably $200-300 in parts for the rest at most. So I'm kind of leaning towards selling the Gretsch, even though there's nothing I don't like about it, because I don't like the idea of gear feeling to precious to use regularly and I'd rather just have stuff that works and if something breaks I can easily replace it and not care (which is why I like Fender style instruments and parts builds).

It's worth saying though, that even my "beater" guitars usually look pretty nice...because I take good care of my gear. "Beater" for me usually just means something that cost me almost no money, but still sounds good.

Thu Mar 15, 2018 12:07 pm

calfzilla wrote:Anyone ever buy a product from a builder and ask "can you get it to sound like this" and they say "yeah no problem" and then you get it and... they absolutely nail it? That's a good feeling.

Totally, every single thing I've ever done with Nick @ Dunwich. Dude is the chillest, nicest guy I talk to regularly online and just a fucking genius with his work. The amp he built for me makes me want to fucking weep. The custom pedals he's done for me are the best version of the tone I was looking when I hit him up. LOVE THAT.

Thu Mar 15, 2018 12:16 pm

Yeah Corey Y I agree about beaters.. I have an RG7620 that's my most beater guitar and it's still pretty nice .. I got it for 300$.. it has stickers on the back and needs a refinish, but it still is one of my nicest playing guitars.. maybe I should show it some love and refinish it and put the damn Ionizers in it finally

Thu Mar 15, 2018 12:24 pm

Mine is an Ibanez GRG121DX. I got it used from GC online for $110 shipped and it was basically mint. The pickups sounded like ass and tuners were not great, but it played really nice, had the shark fin inlays and had a Strat style hardtail bridge. So I bought some locking tuners from Guitar Fetish for cheap, swapped them out, then put some custom pickups in it that I had laying around and upgraded the pots and knobs. I keep meaning to pull the Avedissian pickups out of it and put in some Dimarzio or SD or something basic that will do, but it sounds great and I don't need to change anything on it. It's just kind of like a seeing a broke ass car with shiny rims and a spoiler on it. The pickups are worth more than the guitar and the other upgrades. I really like playing it though, the neck feels great.

Fri Mar 16, 2018 9:08 pm

Don't think that 8 strings are anything more than a cool toy for me, 7 strings are the sweet spot.

I haven't owned a proper guitar amp in like a year so that's probably the best course of action, something other than playing through Pc speakers :lol:
Post a reply