The Whatever Thread .. For Gear!!

Moderator: Ghost Hip

Re: The Whatever Thread .. For Gear!!

Postby codetocontra » Sat Feb 02, 2019 2:33 pm

neonblack wrote:I really want to replace my Unpleasant Surprise with a plasma pedal. C2C, did you see the Motor Pedal demo? Looks rad as shit. Like the best tracking harmony synth pedal ever.

Yeah, that looks crazy. They have an awful pretentious name but their commitment to pushing weird ideas forward makes me appreciate what they are trying to accomplish. Worra said they were really nice people at NAMM, and that goes far in my book too. I want to try a Plus pedal now as well.
codetocontra

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby harpies » Sat Feb 02, 2019 5:06 pm

codetocontra wrote:I want to try a Plus pedal now as well.

The plus pedal is easily bested by the superego plus. I had both trying to pick one, hoping the plus would gel and save me a little space. The plus is problematic because you can’t immediately trigger the hold function after your pick attack. If you do, it stutters, so if you want to play a faster part by triggering quickly then playing on top of it, it’s gonna sound like some rickety ass trem. Fun if that’s what you want but severely limiting if you don’t. The wet only add on pedal is cool, but it shouldn’t cost extra and should’ve been implemented onboard. Then, the tone is nice if you get a good sample, but it’s pretty flat, so having something in the loop to give it a little movement is helpful. At this point the plus setup is much larger than the superego plus because you’ve got the pedal, the wet pedal, and an effect for the loop. The superego sounds a little more abrasive but that can be tamed with a loop eq if it matters or subtle use of the onboard filter. The superego onboard effects aren’t great but a subtle use of them gives the movement the sustained sound needs to not be dull. The plus is really just a much more expensive superegopkus and lacking a lot it’s features.

I do appreciate what game changer is doing and like the sound of that motor pedal, minus the huge level of hiss when he isnt playing and him mentioning it overheating.
harpies

experienced
experienced

Postby neonblack » Sat Feb 02, 2019 7:38 pm

Yeah the overheating thing was a little concerning, but it had been on all day at NAMM. I doubt most people will leave the motor running for hours and hours.
neonblack

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby harpies » Sat Feb 02, 2019 7:44 pm

neonblack wrote:Yeah the overheating thing was a little concerning, but it had been on all day at NAMM. I doubt most people will leave the motor running for hours and hours.

How ridiculous was the noise level on it when not playing? Couldn’t tell if he was turning the volume down or a gate kicked in way late.
harpies

experienced
experienced

Postby Paul_C » Mon Feb 04, 2019 8:30 am

Two new pedals to play through this morning while I process the news that my Dad (92) is going to have to move from his flat to a care home, and I'm going to have to try to organise it from 200 miles away while I get a few jobs finished to give me time to pop down and visit him.

First up is last night's Parasit Studios kit, a Raygun Youth. I was going to build it while watching the Superbowl but got it done before it even kicked off :)
I painted it quickly, as I wanted a ragged, distressed look, and added the ray gun and lettering with a silver paint pen.

Second, I was woken from my slumbers by the postman delivering a very tasty Shift-Line Prism-9, a very different creature to the Raygun Youth ;)

So a mixture of subtle washes and brutal screams :)
Paul_C

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby Jero » Mon Feb 04, 2019 1:56 pm

Realized my bassman 50 cab I've had forever, but haven't been using lately, is kind of fucked up (crack from top to bottom on one side), and think I'm gonna pull the speakers and ditch it...but I want something to replace it now of course.

There's an older Peavey 2x15 in town for $150, and then my old room mate has a tuck in roll Kustom 2x15 I used to use years ago when I was running a stereo rig...and I think he'd sell it to me for even less than the Peavey. Decisions decisions...
I make noise toys under Stomping Stones

oldangelmidnight wrote:This is the classic ILF I love. Emotional highs and lows. Scooped mids in my heart all day long.
Jero

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby The Eristic » Thu Feb 07, 2019 3:05 am

Well, the Peavey cab will never break... but it may break you. The Kustoms are pretty underrated if the speakers are decent.

Suddenly seeing a load of Eventide Spaces up for sale. A pile on Reverb, a couple on CL, seven on the GC site alone over the last couple weeks when one has rarely lasted longer than a day since its release. Do they have something new coming out I don't know about, or have we just hit maximum expensive reverb pedal saturation?
Check out my live guitar streams @ http://www.twitch.tv/the_eristic!
The Eristic

experienced
experienced

Postby Gone Fission » Thu Feb 07, 2019 9:27 am

I’m guessing the Spaces are being displaced for more recent boutique reverb pedals, especially if smaller than the Space. The lure of “newer must be better” is not a great rule when decades of knowledge and experience design the algorithms. Should make it an awesome time to buy used.
D.o.S. wrote:Broadly speaking, if we at ILF are dropping 300 bucks on a pedal it probably sounds like an SNES holocaust.
friendship wrote:death to false bleep-blop
UglyCasanova wrote:brb gonna slap my dick on my stomp boxes
Gone Fission

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Jero » Thu Feb 07, 2019 3:16 pm

The Eristic wrote:Well, the Peavey cab will never break... but it may break you. The Kustoms are pretty underrated if the speakers are decent.

Haha true! I'm not playing out so it will sit in basically one spot for the foreseeable future. It's one of the taller/narrow type.
The kustom is tall/narrow as well. I don't remember what speakers are in there, they are original though. There weren't any issues that I recall years ago when I last used it. It's been sitting untouched in a corner at my friends place since then. Plus tuck and roll man :rock: ...my cats need a new piece to fuck up anyway

oldangelmidnight wrote:This is the classic ILF I love. Emotional highs and lows. Scooped mids in my heart all day long.
Jero

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Jero » Sat Feb 09, 2019 7:45 pm

*Gets cart jacked trying to by over priced highly collectible toy*
*...buys pedal instead*
:excellent:

Jero

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby K2000 » Tue Feb 12, 2019 8:16 pm

Any suggestions for a hard-chopping tremolo with adjustability? Would like to tweak the length of silence and length of signal (gaps). My Vox Repeater clone is cool but I'd like additional adjustability.

Maybe this is easier to do with "stutter" software? I am not opposed to software solutions, if they are cheap and the pedal options are expensive.
K2000

Supporter
Supporter

Postby adamajah » Tue Feb 12, 2019 8:23 pm

K2000 wrote:Any suggestions for a hard-chopping tremolo with adjustability? Would like to tweak the length of silence and length of signal (gaps). My Vox Repeater clone is cool but I'd like additional adjustability.

Maybe this is easier to do with "stutter" software? I am not opposed to software solutions, if they are cheap and the pedal options are expensive.

Dr Scientist Tremolessence excels at this. Ended my search for a trem that does it all
adamajah

experienced
experienced

Postby Gone Fission » Tue Feb 12, 2019 8:30 pm

K2000 wrote:Any suggestions for a hard-chopping tremolo with adjustability? Would like to tweak the length of silence and length of signal (gaps). My Vox Repeater clone is cool but I'd like additional adjustability.

Culturejam had a hand in a BYOC forum project that gave a remarkable square wave trem that chopped like Paul Bunyan and had adjustable pulse width. Maybe the GOAT I’ve heard for your basic criteria as long as you’re down with square wave and don’t need sawtooth or reverse saw. PCB’s for the project are probably long gone, though.

Can do this in software, Too. I’d look for a dynamics module with a “key” input and feed it a metronome, drum, or synth loop that gives the pattern you want. The trick is how note duration of rests key the module.
D.o.S. wrote:Broadly speaking, if we at ILF are dropping 300 bucks on a pedal it probably sounds like an SNES holocaust.
friendship wrote:death to false bleep-blop
UglyCasanova wrote:brb gonna slap my dick on my stomp boxes
Gone Fission

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby neonblack » Tue Feb 12, 2019 9:56 pm

Zvex Sonar does this too
neonblack

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby K2000 » Wed Feb 13, 2019 2:30 am

Great tremolo info, thanks all.
K2000

Supporter
Supporter

PreviousNext

Return to General Gear