The Whatever Thread .. For Gear!!

Moderator: Ghost Hip

Re: The Whatever Thread .. For Gear!!

Postby coupleonapkins » Tue Aug 07, 2018 6:23 pm

K2000 wrote:
kevdes93 wrote:I dont think i need to make a whole thread for this so here i am, anyone have or have used a Prescription Electronics Depth Charge? Is it worth dropping 400$ on?

It's a superfuzz variant. I think Jwar has one, maybe he will answer.

I don't think any pedal is worth $400, that's amp-level money.

The Depth Charge is a Superfuzz clone/variant with a clean blend - Jwar has a clone that he loves (here is a relevant thread) :joy:

K2000 wrote:
MechaGodzilla wrote:
repoman wrote:Why are Zvex pedals so overpriced?

Just buy some old and fucked up painted ones coz they look much cooler than a brand new one anyway! :animal:

But no 9v adapter on the old ones.

Which reminds me, why are they so expensive?

I've purchased all of my Zvex pedals used, usually for less than $100, with broken but replaceable knobs, some more uglier/relic'd finishes than you could imagine, with the exception of the Lo-Fi Junky/Junky Looper ($150 for each, but still!). Time destroys everything!

As for the old ones, the battery draw is incredibly low (except for the loopers - my Fuzz Factory batt died after 2 years, finally!), or you could wire one of these battery snaps DIY-style w/ a resistor (for less pops, like they offer with their power plates), or just fly by the seat of yr pants with one of these pubbies

Good morning!
coupleonapkins

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby friendship » Tue Aug 07, 2018 7:03 pm

less talk about zvex more talk about what john lennon used on bony maronie
sound journal

actualidiot wrote:12-bit's almost analog, right?
friendship

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Jero » Tue Aug 07, 2018 7:11 pm

Gone Fission wrote:LOL, Sweetwater. "Yellow Tag Clearance" call for price flagged for the DOD Rubberneck that ProAudioStar was doing for $132 last week. Sweetwater's deal that's so worth calling for? $215--yes, 6% off! Woot!

And now they're gonna call me trying to drum up business.

I really should have bought one of those :facepalm:
I make noise toys under Stomping Stones

oldangelmidnight wrote:This is the classic ILF I love. Emotional highs and lows. Scooped mids in my heart all day long.
Jero

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby tremolo3 » Wed Aug 08, 2018 2:13 am

Boris posted this, I believe is Michio Kurihara's fuzz collection:

And finally (and finally):

:!!!: :!!!: :!!!: :!!!: :!!!:
John wrote:"guys play quiet, listen to my small costly device."

PumpkinPieces wrote:Fer shoogaze

tuffteef wrote:all you need is a big muff and feelings
tremolo3

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby systemofameow » Wed Aug 08, 2018 9:58 am

^^sploosh
systemofameow

committed
committed

Postby dubkitty » Wed Aug 08, 2018 12:59 pm

there's a great Kurihawa story that IIRC was told by Yo La Tengo. some of you will recognize his obsession with John Cippolina of Quicksilver Messenger Service, which goes far enough beyond "influence" that in his younger days he even emulated John's long-hair-parted-on-the-side look and black leather cabretta jacket. anyway, YLT were touring with Kurihawa, and when they were in Cleveland they decided to go to the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame Museum which at the time was hosting a big exhibit on San Francisco psychedelic rock. the very thing they encountered was a huge glass display case containing Cipollina's late 60s amp setup, an insane huge thing with multiple cabinet stacks topped by clusters of foot-and-a-half high-frequency horns. They said it was as if Kurihawa had seen god. the tragic part of the tale is that since they don't allow photography in the RRHOFM they couldn't get a picture of Kurihawa with the stack, which probably would have been the highlight of his life.
In girum imus nocte et consumimur igni

FIFTY YEARS OF SCARING THE CHILDREN 1970-2020--and i'm not done yet

DUBZ ÄLTER LOOPZ (2012-14): https://soundcloud.com/dubkitteh-1/sets/early-works-2012-14

DUBZ LOOPZ 2: Electronic Renaissance coming soon to a Soundcloud near you!
dubkitty

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Location: somewhere between Never-Never Land and Wonderland, in a place called Never Wonder Land

Postby jirodreamsofdank » Wed Aug 08, 2018 1:40 pm

jirodreamsofdank

experienced
experienced

Postby tremolo3 » Wed Aug 08, 2018 1:49 pm

dubkitty wrote:there's a great Kurihawa story that IIRC was told by Yo La Tengo. some of you will recognize his obsession with John Cippolina of Quicksilver Messenger Service, which goes far enough beyond "influence" that in his younger days he even emulated John's long-hair-parted-on-the-side look and black leather cabretta jacket. anyway, YLT were touring with Kurihawa, and when they were in Cleveland they decided to go to the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame Museum which at the time was hosting a big exhibit on San Francisco psychedelic rock. the very thing they encountered was a huge glass display case containing Cipollina's late 60s amp setup, an insane huge thing with multiple cabinet stacks topped by clusters of foot-and-a-half high-frequency horns. They said it was as if Kurihawa had seen god. the tragic part of the tale is that since they don't allow photography in the RRHOFM they couldn't get a
picture of Kurihawa with the stack, which probably would have been the highlight of his life.

Aww man :(

Would kill to see YLT and Kurihara but you must be confusing Ira and Georgia with Damon and Naomi (Galaxie 500), no?
John wrote:"guys play quiet, listen to my small costly device."

PumpkinPieces wrote:Fer shoogaze

tuffteef wrote:all you need is a big muff and feelings
tremolo3

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby coupleonapkins » Wed Aug 08, 2018 3:08 pm

friendship wrote:less talk about zvex more talk about what john lennon used on bony maronie

Gotta be a maestro-style fuzz (just gotta bee) or maybe a mosrite fuzz-rite? Like this?:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tZOGbyIpVCI

Phil Spector did cut one of the first maestro-featured records (along with Lennon's RnR LP), so it's probably one or the other?:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=feKEIeq5ozk
Good morning!
coupleonapkins

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby friendship » Wed Aug 08, 2018 3:45 pm

Ohhh yeah that's a good bet. Gonna try to recreate it at home with a Carcosa!
sound journal

actualidiot wrote:12-bit's almost analog, right?
friendship

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby dubkitty » Wed Aug 08, 2018 3:56 pm

tremolo3 wrote:
dubkitty wrote:there's a great Kurihawa story that IIRC was told by Yo La Tengo. some of you will recognize his obsession with John Cippolina of Quicksilver Messenger Service, which goes far enough beyond "influence" that in his younger days he even emulated John's long-hair-parted-on-the-side look and black leather cabretta jacket. anyway, YLT were touring with Kurihawa, and when they were in Cleveland they decided to go to the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame Museum which at the time was hosting a big exhibit on San Francisco psychedelic rock. the very thing they encountered was a huge glass display case containing Cipollina's late 60s amp setup, an insane huge thing with multiple cabinet stacks topped by clusters of foot-and-a-half high-frequency horns. They said it was as if Kurihawa had seen god. the tragic part of the tale is that since they don't allow photography in the RRHOFM they couldn't get a
picture of Kurihawa with the stack, which probably would have been the highlight of his life.

Aww man :(

Would kill to see YLT and Kurihara but you must be confusing Ira and Georgia with Damon and Naomi (Galaxie 500), no?

you're probably right.
In girum imus nocte et consumimur igni

FIFTY YEARS OF SCARING THE CHILDREN 1970-2020--and i'm not done yet

DUBZ ÄLTER LOOPZ (2012-14): https://soundcloud.com/dubkitteh-1/sets/early-works-2012-14

DUBZ LOOPZ 2: Electronic Renaissance coming soon to a Soundcloud near you!
dubkitty

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Location: somewhere between Never-Never Land and Wonderland, in a place called Never Wonder Land

Postby Gone Fission » Wed Aug 08, 2018 11:17 pm

Jero wrote:
Gone Fission wrote:LOL, Sweetwater. "Yellow Tag Clearance" call for price flagged for the DOD Rubberneck that ProAudioStar was doing for $132 last week. Sweetwater's deal that's so worth calling for? $215--yes, 6% off! Woot!

And now they're gonna call me trying to drum up business.

I really should have bought one of those :facepalm:

I get you, I've been obsessed since I missed it. I finally hit Alto Music b-stock with an eBay coupon for $153. Not as great a deal, but good and nixes my FOMO.
D.o.S. wrote:Broadly speaking, if we at ILF are dropping 300 bucks on a pedal it probably sounds like an SNES holocaust.
friendship wrote:death to false bleep-blop
UglyCasanova wrote:brb gonna slap my dick on my stomp boxes
Gone Fission

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby BetterOffShred » Wed Aug 08, 2018 11:21 pm

Yeah fuck I want one. After I get the pladask reverseotron I'll probably go looking.
BetterOffShred

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby BoatRich » Wed Aug 08, 2018 11:39 pm

Does anyone know if I can use the favorite switch to change from the Sound on Sound mode on an El Capistan to another preset? It’s seemingly too specific to google. I have the pedal but I don’t have a favorite switch and haven’t found something I can use instead. I need a multi tap delay in one part of a song immediately followed by a short loop, but I don’t want to spend the money if I don’t have to.
BoatRich

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby neonblack » Thu Aug 09, 2018 2:40 pm

You can. You can either set the multitap as the preset or save the sound on sound mode. Works perfectly. It does cut the delay abruptly when you switch between presets though.
neonblack

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

PreviousNext

Return to General Gear