PumpkinPieces wrote:Fer shoogaze

tuffteef wrote:all you need is a big muff and feelings
tremolo3

IAMILF
IAMILF

Re: The Whatever Thread .. For Gear!!

Postby Dandolin » Mon Feb 19, 2018 3:12 pm

:love: hotness
"In a moment of unparalleled genius, Noel Parachute headed off this potential disaster by unplugging the microphone."
Dandolin

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby comesect2.0 » Tue Feb 20, 2018 6:14 am

opened up my msl gristleizer tonight for the first time, beautiful fucking work.
comesect2.0

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Dandolin » Tue Feb 20, 2018 11:30 am

Kind of digging the relatively mild-side glitcheriness this one is getting:

"In a moment of unparalleled genius, Noel Parachute headed off this potential disaster by unplugging the microphone."
Dandolin

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Kacey Y » Wed Feb 21, 2018 8:47 am

I was going to buy a Fender Blues Junior III used on GC's website last night. The cheapest one in nice condition I had found online. I hesitated though, bookmarked it and then decided this morning I would pull the trigger on it. So I went to the bookmark this morning...and it was sold. Then I found a brand new listing for the same thing listed for $80 less and bought it.
Appalachian Queer Punk Moms Local 138
Kacey Y

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby Inconuucl » Wed Feb 21, 2018 10:02 am

Dandolin wrote:Kind of digging the relatively mild-side glitcheriness this one is getting:

I absolutely love how the filtering sounds with the glitches. :love:
Le Ciel Inconnu (I was a whale once.)
NSFW: show
Chankgeez wrote:We should have a game show à la Name That Tune

Inconuucl: I can shoegaze that tune with 5 pedals.
other contestant: I can shoegaze that tune with 4 pedals.
Inconuucl: I can shoegaze that tune with 3 pedals.
other contestant: OK, shoegaze that tune!
Inconuucl: :!!!:
Inconuucl

Supporter
Supporter

Postby BetterOffShred » Wed Feb 21, 2018 10:18 am

Noice! I like those amps, sometimes hesitation actually pays off, though never for me personally.

I'm finally going to get a 1x12 cab for my vibrochamp head (read: built chassis with no box) and a cannabis rex 12". The cab is raw pine, and I'm planning on applying Tolex myself so.. we will see how that comes out :D I'm also planning on putting in a toggle between 2 values of resistors for the octal B+ tap so I can goose the voltage a bit and run a 6L6 .. it's a fairly common mod.

My living room amp scenario isn't cutting it, I want toobz. So the vibro will be moving upstairs.
BetterOffShred

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby comesect2.0 » Wed Feb 21, 2018 10:37 am

yall ever be noodling with the fuzz on, and get into playing somthing your not listening to.. because your, I guess purging thoughts...like the whole time your jaming, your thinking about things that piss you off, or messed you up.. and then its not that bad, catharsis ..
comesect2.0

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Kacey Y » Wed Feb 21, 2018 10:41 am

BetterOffShred wrote:Noice! I like those amps, sometimes hesitation actually pays off, though never for me personally.

I'm finally going to get a 1x12 cab for my vibrochamp head (read: built chassis with no box) and a cannabis rex 12". The cab is raw pine, and I'm planning on applying Tolex myself so.. we will see how that comes out :D I'm also planning on putting in a toggle between 2 values of resistors for the octal B+ tap so I can goose the voltage a bit and run a 6L6 .. it's a fairly common mod.

My living room amp scenario isn't cutting it, I want toobz. So the vibro will be moving upstairs.

It's the first time it ever paid off for me, so I'm stoked. It pretty much pays for a speaker upgrade, if I want it. Or maybe I'll get crazy and buy a mod/upgrade kit for it or something eventually.

Extension cabs for small amps are awesome. Having a decent 1x12 with a good speaker pretty much makes even the smallest, crappiest sounding amp sound good/usable in my experience. I would like to get back to doing some DIY cabs again, I sold all my heavy duty woodworking tools/equipment the year before we moved. When I worked adjacent to our family's wood shop I made a bunch of stuff, but nothing ever even as big as a 1x12. The last thing I did was a head shell for my spring reverb tank and I just spray painted that flat black. Too much to screw up with upholstery for my taste. I can manage a new grill cloth on a cab, since it's the same as rescreening a window screen, which I have done hundreds of times. That's about it for me.
Kacey Y

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby BetterOffShred » Wed Feb 21, 2018 11:06 am

I have woodworking stuff, but I don't need to take on the wood project at this point. I just want to get the chassis into the box. It's cool it's an actual comb9 cab so the factory sized chassis goes in and boom, 1x12 vibrochamp combo. The dude makes them in mahogany and oak etc.. but I think pine projects and it's light.
BetterOffShred

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Dandolin » Wed Feb 21, 2018 11:52 am

Inconuucl wrote:
Dandolin wrote:Kind of digging the relatively mild-side glitcheriness this one is getting:

I absolutely love how the filtering sounds with the glitches. :love:

ikr :excellent:
Dandolin

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Kacey Y » Wed Feb 21, 2018 12:29 pm

BetterOffShred wrote:I have woodworking stuff, but I don't need to take on the wood project at this point. I just want to get the chassis into the box. It's cool it's an actual comb9 cab so the factory sized chassis goes in and boom, 1x12 vibrochamp combo. The dude makes them in mahogany and oak etc.. but I think pine projects and it's light.

I have usually gone the other way. I used to have a PRRI combo that I wanted to convert to a head, but I ended up selling it and going to a more stripped down low wattage head with no extra features after that. Now I kinda just want some 1x12 combos to mess around with and I still have extension cabs to play around with different speakers. I did consider looking for or building a bigger cab for this Blues Junior, but I can just plug it in to my Swamp Thang loaded 1x12 if need be. I may get another one to put a Texas Heat or a Wizard or some other more high end focused 12" into too at some point.

Plus n play is always a bonus. I don't think I could deal with a mahogany or oak cab, that's kind of nuts. Especially if it's solid and not just veneered plywood with nosing/caps. They're both a bitch to mill into clear wide pieces without any cracks.
Kacey Y

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby BetterOffShred » Wed Feb 21, 2018 1:50 pm

Yeah man I looked at swamp thangs.. I think for my needs the cannabis may be slightly better. We will see.

I love the champ through my 4x12, but my woman would shit a running chainsaw if I moved a 4x12 into the living room.

I'm definitely doing tolex on this cab. I may build my own extension cab at some point and use walnut and do a nice clear coat etc, but for this little combo I think a handle and some tolex, maybe even some kick back legs. I need to get a Silverface faceplate made up at the local trophy place.. and then make a Silverface grill clothe for it. Match the Bassman ;)

Anybody ever load a 1x12 with a peavey scorpion? I actually like those speakers, but prices have crept up on them. Maybe I'll find a pawnshop 4x12 loaded with them...
BetterOffShred

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Kacey Y » Wed Feb 21, 2018 5:13 pm

I have a theory that the Fender Bassbreaker series was designed to sound ideal in stores and demo videos. I've played a bunch of different low wattage tube amps in shops lately and everyone oohs and ahhs over them and raves about how great they sound. Same in videos on Youtube, but every time I played a version it sounded really compressed, narrow in EQ and extra tight in the gain. The kind of thing that makes it cut through in a shop or sound very "finished" in a solo recording. It's the kind of sound I'm used to hearing from guitarists when they bring a specifically crafted tone into recording and it does not at all work in a mix. That's a broad generalization, Marshall tone fits into that definition is some respects, but it has a certain rawness and harmonic content that makes it great at one sound and not very flexible otherwise (not true of all, just the typical "modern" Marshall tone). The Bassbreakers don't have any really standout characteristic to the tone, it all just sounds like it's meant to sound great for people who are playing solo.

I could be wrong, taste is subjective, just a thought I had while playing a few the other day.
Kacey Y

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby nogodsnobedtimes » Wed Feb 21, 2018 6:02 pm

No I agree. I've been amp shopping a lot lately and that's how the Bassbreakers have sounded to me too. Very generic and polished, almost cliche.
nogodsnobedtimes

experienced
experienced

PreviousNext

Return to General Gear