The Whatever Thread .. For Gear!!

Moderator: Ghost Hip

Re: The Whatever Thread .. For Gear!!

Postby Dowi » Sat Feb 16, 2019 2:52 am

The Eristic wrote:I bought a DOD FX7 at a yard sale for $5. I can understand why it was so maligned back in the '90s, because every setting sounds like every record released in 1987... which is awesome, frankly.

For 5$ everything is worthy even if it sounds like shit. :thumb:
BIRCH BARK | Solo stuff | Bandcamp - Youtube
HIBAGON | Polyrhythmic Heavy Duo | Bandcamp - Spotyshit
Dowi

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby Heraclitus Akimbo » Sat Feb 16, 2019 3:10 pm

nogodsnobedtimes wrote:Who's got a looper they like using with desktop synths? I'm looking to round out some multi part songs so I can play live but I'll need a looper. I'm leaning towards the 720 again cuz I'm used to it and it has 1/2 speed and reverse functions, but if there's anything else I should consider I'm all ears.

I have this Ammoon looper which I understand is sort of a rip-off of the 720: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/ammoon- ... 23126.html

Stereo in/out, half-speed and reverse + I really like the adjustable fade-out option when you stop a loop.

I've had no issues with it, though my steez is more ambient keyb noodle-improvisation rather than mapping out song parts.

And if you're willing to go the cheapie pedal route, I'm an even bigger fan of this one: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Rowin-T ... 41301.html

Comes branded as Rowin/Donner/and a few others. This one has a stepped speed control with more speed-up/slow-down settings.

Both of these are dual channel isolated stereo in/out, so you can actually run separate things through each of the channels, too.
solo (mostly ambient): https://heraclitusakimbo.bandcamp.com/
duo (electroacoustic vibration exploration): https://wenderlypark.bandcamp.com/
trio (tapes/voice/clarinet/synth/poems): https://ourwaytofall.bandcamp.com/
band (spontaneous kosmische): https://stargoon.bandcamp.com/

I also help co-ordinate Okta, ILF's collaborative community ambient project: https://okta.bandcamp.com
Heraclitus Akimbo

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby Jero » Thu Feb 21, 2019 5:56 pm

Have had a pitch fork for years, and don't think I've ever realized you can save a preset glissando rate :facepalm:
I make noise toys under Stomping Stones

oldangelmidnight wrote:This is the classic ILF I love. Emotional highs and lows. Scooped mids in my heart all day long.
Jero

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Dandolin » Thu Feb 21, 2019 5:59 pm

^^ :hug:
New pedlol day :joy:
"In a moment of unparalleled genius, Noel Parachute headed off this potential disaster by unplugging the microphone."
Dandolin

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Jero » Thu Feb 21, 2019 8:56 pm

Dandolin wrote:^^ :hug:
New pedlol day :joy:

:lol: basically. I haven't used it in a long time, and pulled it out to see if it was time to flip. Was perusing the manual and noticed that bit about being able to save the rate. Then spent the next hour or so alternating between stepping on the pitchfork with one foot and the ps6 with the other. Manual glitch and busted tape player sounds galore.

oldangelmidnight wrote:This is the classic ILF I love. Emotional highs and lows. Scooped mids in my heart all day long.
Jero

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Dandolin » Thu Feb 21, 2019 9:32 pm

Noice :snax: I'm searching for ghetto solutions to keep me from buying a Bicycle Delay :lol:
"In a moment of unparalleled genius, Noel Parachute headed off this potential disaster by unplugging the microphone."
Dandolin

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Jero » Fri Feb 22, 2019 12:34 am

Dandolin wrote:Noice :snax: I'm searching for ghetto solutions to keep me from buying a Bicycle Delay :lol:

You got me there :idk: Those things are nuts. Would probably require multiple effects, and still not be right, hah.

Jero

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Dandolin » Fri Feb 22, 2019 3:04 am

Shit. You're right. :mope:
Dandolin

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby K2000 » Fri Feb 22, 2019 5:27 am

Is it possible to rehouse a Whammy to get rid of the treadle, and make it a lot smaller and lighter? I would love to use it as a condensed tabletop unit with a slider or a knob instead of the treadle.
K2000

Supporter
Supporter

Postby Gone Fission » Fri Feb 22, 2019 9:05 am

K2000 wrote:Is it possible to rehouse a Whammy to get rid of the treadle, and make it a lot smaller and lighter? I would love to use it as a condensed tabletop unit with a slider or a knob instead of the treadle.

Whammy Ricochet? The Drop seems likely to be limited in comparison, so I would guess Ricochet first.

Or get an EvenMidi Pitchy to get your Whammy (or Eventide pedal with pitch algorithms) off the table, but you probably aren’t looking for remote cable runs. https://www.evenmidi.com/midi-controllers/3-pitchy.html
D.o.S. wrote:Broadly speaking, if we at ILF are dropping 300 bucks on a pedal it probably sounds like an SNES holocaust.
friendship wrote:death to false bleep-blop
UglyCasanova wrote:brb gonna slap my dick on my stomp boxes
Gone Fission

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby fuzzisokiguess » Fri Mar 01, 2019 9:27 pm

This is all of us
(or most of us, I assume)
I digress

The secrets of the world's greatest art thief
https://apple.news/A51TxoA9dQCezGFAHcFPJZg

https://www.gq.com/story/secrets-of-the ... -thief/amp
fuzzisokiguess

committed
committed

Postby BoatRich » Sat Mar 02, 2019 12:11 am

Anyone have cool post metal synth recommendations? Music or gear really. I know I’m going to pick up a Digitakt for samples and field recording/manipulation, but I’m not sure what else to look at. I’ve owned a couple of Microbrutes, but currently I’ve got nothing. Mostly looking for massive bass and noisy shit. Digital for polyphony and pads would be cool.
BoatRich

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby odontophobia » Sat Mar 02, 2019 9:06 am

BoatRich wrote:Anyone have cool post metal synth recommendations? Music or gear really. I know I’m going to pick up a Digitakt for samples and field recording/manipulation, but I’m not sure what else to look at. I’ve owned a couple of Microbrutes, but currently I’ve got nothing. Mostly looking for massive bass and noisy shit. Digital for polyphony and pads would be cool.

Feel like so many post metal bands are using Moog for their synth sounds. Cult of Luna, Russian Circles, Pg. Lost.

Isis used some Roland stuff. Maybe SH09 or SH02. Spacelordmother will correct this I’m sure.

Neurosis uses a lot of samples and his many stage facing stuff is just MIDI controllers and I know there’s a laptop involved but I can’t find a good rundown. But laptop is gonna he clutch for samples AND polyphony.

I think if I went this route I’d be using my laptop/iPad and midi controllers. Which is still a possibility if we write fewer guitar centric songs.
odontophobia

Supporter
Supporter

Postby Paul_C » Sat Mar 02, 2019 10:10 am

Jero wrote:Have had a pitch fork for years, and don't think I've ever realized you can save a preset glissando rate :facepalm:

you can do what now?

(someone else who hasn't read the manual)
Paul_C

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby BoatRich » Sat Mar 02, 2019 11:12 am

odontophobia wrote:
BoatRich wrote:Anyone have cool post metal synth recommendations? Music or gear really. I know I’m going to pick up a Digitakt for samples and field recording/manipulation, but I’m not sure what else to look at. I’ve owned a couple of Microbrutes, but currently I’ve got nothing. Mostly looking for massive bass and noisy shit. Digital for polyphony and pads would be cool.

Feel like so many post metal bands are using Moog for their synth sounds. Cult of Luna, Russian Circles, Pg. Lost.

Isis used some Roland stuff. Maybe SH09 or SH02. Spacelordmother will correct this I’m sure.

Neurosis uses a lot of samples and his many stage facing stuff is just MIDI controllers and I know there’s a laptop involved but I can’t find a good rundown. But laptop is gonna he clutch for samples AND polyphony.

I think if I went this route I’d be using my laptop/iPad and midi controllers. Which is still a possibility if we write fewer guitar centric songs.

I’d love to avoid a laptop because the venues we play aren’t great about having an amazing PA or anything, but it really is looking like the best option.
BoatRich

IAMILF
IAMILF

PreviousNext

Return to General Gear