Marshall Guvnor 2

Moderator: Ghost Hip

Marshall Guvnor 2

Postby Brettski » Wed May 20, 2009 9:06 pm

I picked one up this week for cheap on a whim just to try something different and was very pleasantly surprised. For under $100, it's a great overdive pedal that verges on distortion. It's got a cool, rich, creamy kind of sound you don't usually find in cheap OD pedals. There's almost NO grit at all. Some feel that it doesn't have enough treble, but running it with a BBE Sonic Stomp, it really shines. It has two low end controls, as well at controls for treble and mid (ALWAYS a plus with distortion,OD pedals), is sturdy as hell and I think it looks pretty damn scheckshie.

I'll post a vid tomorrow when my building is alive again. Freakin old people go to bed at freakin 7:30.
Assume a spherical chicken.
Brettski

committed
committed

Re: Marshall Guvnor 2

Postby ifeellikeatourist » Thu May 21, 2009 12:56 am

hmm...I picked one up on ebay for $30 and was somewhat disappointed. While I appreciate having a wide range of tone controls and think that the "deep" knob is especially cool, I am apparently in the camp that believes this pedal just has way too much low end. I might be somewhat pleased by it, though, if it only had more treble. It definitely has a Marshall-type sound, I think, and I do like it much more than their Bluesbreaker OD pedal. Glad you like it though. If anyone is interested in buying mine, just give me a PM :thumb:
goroth wrote:Most builders are content on reproducing the same crap. Which is fine. Most guitarists want the same crap.
ifeellikeatourist

experienced
experienced

Postby Brettski » Thu May 21, 2009 7:37 am

Try it with an EQ or something of the sort. You might change your mind. I was advised to kill the deep control altogether, keep the bass under 12 o'clock, treble dimed, and screw with the mid control til I got the sound I needed. That helped, but the Sonic Stomp really makes it sing.
Brettski

committed
committed

Postby dronemachine » Thu May 21, 2009 7:45 am

Guvnor 2,eh..? I'd say it's nice dist for the money...but i know some people that actually broke the thing...but i guess they could brake anything :idk: :animal:

I was in love with the first Guvnor...too bad i didn't make any effort to ask a guy to sell it... :cry:
dronemachine

committed
committed

Postby ChrisDN » Thu May 21, 2009 8:29 am

I've never tried the Guvnor but I use a Jackhammer; frikkin brilliant pedal! I've always said that if I ever had to only use one OD/Dist/Fuzz for the rest of my life, it would be the Jackhammer.

I may pick one up though and give it a blast. :rock:
ChrisDN

committed
committed

Postby Brettski » Thu May 21, 2009 9:45 am

ChrisDN wrote:I've never tried the Guvnor but I use a Jackhammer; frikkin brilliant pedal! I've always said that if I ever had to only use one OD/Dist/Fuzz for the rest of my life, it would be the Jackhammer.

I may pick one up though and give it a blast. :rock:

Wow, that good, huh? Dang I have to check that one out!! That's quite an endorsement coming from a Zvex guy.
Brettski

committed
committed

Postby 1,2,3, Pull Out! » Fri May 22, 2009 10:49 pm

Brettski wrote:Freakin old people go to bed at freakin 7:30.

Try LIVING with those kind of people
www.myspace.com/thezomb -zombie-sci-fi-garage-punk
1,2,3, Pull Out!

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby Brettski » Sat May 23, 2009 12:30 am

1,2,3, Pull Out! wrote:
Brettski wrote:Freakin old people go to bed at freakin 7:30.

Try LIVING with those kind of people

Heh, I've lived with parents too!! Mine are great, wouldn't trade em for the world.

Just an update, the Guvnor REALLY likes my Les Paul and Nova Delay.
Brettski

committed
committed

Postby Blurillaz » Sat May 23, 2009 3:27 pm

You should replace the footswitch, because mine broke...
we
Blurillaz

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby sev » Sat May 23, 2009 4:38 pm

My bandmate has a Guvnor. I actually cant stand the way it sounds. It instantly reminds me of 80s glam metal for some reason.
WILL DRUM FOR FOOD
sev

committed
committed

Postby Brettski » Sat May 23, 2009 6:26 pm

sev wrote:My bandmate has a Guvnor. I actually cant stand the way it sounds. It instantly reminds me of 80s glam metal for some reason.

I have mine set more like a TS or something. Not very glammy at all. I can see hearing it at higher gain settings.

I'm probably gonna eventually replace it, but for the money, I'm diggin it.
Brettski

committed
committed

Postby Bassus Sanguinis » Thu May 28, 2009 2:30 am

I love the overdrive sound diverging to crunchy distortion Govnor gives with load amps :animal:

Two of my first Govnors, the very first run units, were stolen after gigs, possibly by the unruly hangarounds of the club. They absolutely rocked with 74' Laney Klipp tube amp and made my bass guitar the meanest of the heavy low end down tuned metal guitar. The third one - now broken by a band mate of mine - was a Govnor2. Broke surprisingly after just six years (who counts) of use, though it felt really tough, telling by the weight and the knobs. This doesn't mean necessarily it was a crappy one, it sure had had a rough ride with my bands at rehearsals, gigs and studio sessions :cool: telling by the bent knobs, scratches, liquor & blood splatter and what not.

I think the Govnor2 delivered a noticeably different approach to the tube amp dist./overdrive. Even better, in a way, with control over the massive bulk of low mid range. A very good, load and crunchy meanie for such a nonchalant and cheap pedal. But since I changed the amp between the time the retailers ran out of the original pedal version stocks I can't say for sure, how much it was also the amp. :idk:
:::: Metal up Yƶur Jazz! with FUZZIFERblack psychedelic doom ::::
Ugly Nora wrote:It's a sad day when Bassus Sanguinis becomes the voice of reason. :lol:
Bassus Sanguinis

Supporter
Supporter

Postby Brettski » Thu May 28, 2009 4:26 am

Sweet! I'm glad you like yours too. I find myself using it more than my other dirt pedals I spent a lot more on.
Brettski

committed
committed

Return to General Gear