everyone knows i dislike PGS demos...

Moderator: Ghost Hip

Re: everyone knows i dislike PGS demos...

Postby 1,2,3, Pull Out! » Fri May 08, 2009 1:31 pm

i see... :picard:
www.myspace.com/thezomb -zombie-sci-fi-garage-punk
1,2,3, Pull Out!

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby Caesar » Fri May 08, 2009 3:05 pm

1,2,3, Pull Out! wrote:i see... :picard:

:hug:
A long time ago, in a galaxy far far away, God said, "Let there be Lips!" And there were, and they were good, and the lips said...

http://soundcloud.com/gaiusrex
Caesar

Supporter
Supporter

Postby grygrx » Mon May 11, 2009 8:45 am

iamthesnow wrote:
FuzzyWuzzy wrote:As long as we're in dis mode...
In my opinion, it doesn't get worse than those BassFuzz.com reviews.
Way too much talk, not enough rock, and they actually manage to make good pedals sound like poop.

agreed, wasn't too happy with their devi vids. :thumb:

They say you've not made it until you have critics ;)

Hrm, I thought the bass fuzz & YoTR videos sounded pretty true to the pedals. I've got a load of respect for devi, and she has been offering me support since day 1!
I will say that "doing videos" was a totally new thing for me, and the early ones are pretty long winded... I'm working on finding a balance.
grygrx

committed
committed

Postby 1,2,3, Pull Out! » Mon May 11, 2009 9:23 am

I LIKE the bassfuzz demos :idk:
Good website too :thumb:
1,2,3, Pull Out!

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby ifeellikeatourist » Mon May 11, 2009 9:28 am

I would just like to say that I think 65amps is a stupid name for an amp company.
:idk:
goroth wrote:Most builders are content on reproducing the same crap. Which is fine. Most guitarists want the same crap.
ifeellikeatourist

experienced
experienced

Postby metalmariachi » Mon May 11, 2009 9:31 am

Hey I like the bass fuzz reviews.

I did an mp3 review and it found I ether talked to much or not enough.
It was hard to find the balance..

hey grygrx when are you going to start on the Fuzzhugger and Mellow Tone offerings.

MM
金属マリアッチ
MARIATCHIMETARU

"First we have to make you pretty"
metalmariachi

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby metalmariachi » Mon May 11, 2009 9:34 am

ifeellikeatourist wrote:I would just like to say that I think 65amps is a stupid name for an amp company.
:idk:

True, but Aspen Pitman (groove Tubes) once built an amp called the Soho.
wouldn't want us to get confused.

MM
金属マリアッチ
MARIATCHIMETARU

"First we have to make you pretty"
metalmariachi

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby grygrx » Mon May 11, 2009 9:39 am

metalmariachi wrote:Hey I like the bass fuzz reviews.

I did an mp3 review and it found I ether talked to much or not enough.
It was hard to find the balance..

hey grygrx when are you going to start on the Fuzzhugger and Mellow Tone offerings.

MM

It will be a bit I imagine. They are for sure on my radar, but I've got a massive pile of stuff currently that I'm trying to dig through that before I start grabbing stuff again. I spent about 8 hours yesterday working, and have most of three new reviews done. Only like 10 or so more and I'll be caught up! :facepalm:
grygrx

committed
committed

Postby Caesar » Mon May 11, 2009 11:41 am

I kinda like the PGS demos. I don't see why they're any worse than most other demos.

The problem with most demos is the guitarist trying to show off their technique. I guess it shouldn't be a surprise that a guitarist would be a show stealing attention whore. :lol: :poke:
A long time ago, in a galaxy far far away, God said, "Let there be Lips!" And there were, and they were good, and the lips said...

Caesar

Supporter
Supporter

Postby grygrx » Mon May 11, 2009 1:03 pm

Caesar wrote:I kinda like the PGS demos. I don't see why they're any worse than most other demos.

The problem with most demos is the guitarist trying to show off their technique. I guess it shouldn't be a surprise that a guitarist would be a show stealing attention whore. :lol: :poke:

My concern with PGS demos is that they are sales pitches, they are trying to show everything in the best possible light. On the whole though, I'm in favor of anything that provides more information when making a purchase.
grygrx

committed
committed

Postby 1,2,3, Pull Out! » Mon May 11, 2009 3:59 pm

grygrx wrote:
Caesar wrote:I kinda like the PGS demos. I don't see why they're any worse than most other demos.

My concern with PGS demos is that they are sales pitches, they are trying to show everything in the best possible light. On the whole though, I'm in favor of anything that provides more information when making a purchase.

Exactly! They never show the cons in pedals.
1,2,3, Pull Out!

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby bigchiefbc » Mon May 11, 2009 4:35 pm

Well, in PGS's defense, their main business is selling pedals, not demoing them. They have to sell this stuff. If they gave a pedal a lousy review, I'm sure it'd piss off the pedal maker, and cut down sales of the item. The problem is that there aren't a lot of demo sites out there. And no matter how positive and sycophantic, the PGS demos are nowhere near as bad as the Gearwire demos used to be :lol:
Buy my gear! viewtopic.php?f=44&t=58763

Achtane wrote:I can hit it with a Blowing Up and it'll just sound awesome instead of like capacitors farting into each others' dicks.

Achtane wrote:
last.fm wrote:Zs makes music that is variously categorized as no-wave, post-jazz, brutal-chamber, brutal-prog, and post minimalist.

srsly?

Fuck you.
bigchiefbc

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Gunner Recall » Mon May 11, 2009 6:04 pm

First off I don't agree with some of their business practices, but I'll come out in defense of the pgs demo vids.

Despite being sales pitches, they are well made demos that are fairly accurate.
They haven't misrepresented any pedals (in my experience) and on a few occasions gave me very useful jumping points to find some very unique sounds from a few of my pedals.
I didn't find any of their claims to be outrageous or overstated. Andy simply brings the best out of the pedals.

People can talk all they want about the soho in th earlier demos but I'm sure youtube completely obliterates any so-called "mojo" associated with a pricey boutique amp.

As for not showing the negatives...negatives are often very subjective. Most of the time it's user error.
Check out early reviews for the Malekko Spring Chicken or the Blackout Whetstone. People were complaining of excessive noise that was "unacceptable" and of "unusable" settings.
Yet reading the manual of either pedal informs you that the noise was intentional or at least a concession in order to achieve a certain effect.

Adjectives like "thin" "muddy" "flubby" "trebly" "noisy" can be dangerous and are subjective. You can find those things on almost any pedal if you are looking for them.
The fact is you never know how somehing will react with your rig or playing style, so negative reviews do little to help anyone.
I'm all for comparisons...for example claiming the US has more treble than the SM is accurate...but calling the US too trebly is misleading and spreads rumors.
I've experienced it first hand...internet rumors can cause quite the shit storm.

In the end, take any review (positive or negative) with a grain of salt.
I appreciate the PGS vids for what they are, and they've been a helpful purchasing tool that has yet to steer me wrong.

If you actually read all of that :thumb:
If not, you missed some boobs. Seriously go back and look.
There are some that call me...morningstaru?
Gunner Recall

Postby Caesar » Tue May 12, 2009 8:52 am

morningstaru wrote:Adjectives like "thin" "muddy" "flubby" "trebly" "noisy" can be dangerous and are subjective. You can find those things on almost any pedal if you are looking for them.
The fact is you never know how somehing will react with your rig or playing style, so negative reviews do little to help anyone.
I'm all for comparisons...for example claiming the US has more treble than the SM is accurate...but calling the US too trebly is misleading and spreads rumors.

Excellent point. Good for someone is bad for someone else. I would say a bad pedal is one that doesn't work. Anything else is left to the creativity of the user. This is why I really can't take HCFX anymore. People be so judgemental over inanimate objects? Even a Boss DS-1 is a magical box if it's used correctly.

Caesar

Supporter
Supporter

Previous

Return to General Gear