Lastgasp Art Laboratories

Moderator: Ghost Hip

Re: Lastgasp Art Laboratories

Postby Jero » Sat May 06, 2017 11:27 am

lordgalvar wrote:Devil tail is like a more open sounding DOD death metal with EQ (and osc at high gain but wouldn't call it osc like the 88 or something). The DOD is more compressed and "that sound"...LAL is way more versitile but more picky about pickups. I wouldn't call it my go to high gain drive...Probably would prefer boss hm-3 or something but I love it! Should get it out more. I think Angel Ring + devil tail would actually be pretty badass but it has been a long time since I've done that.

I always wondered how those two compared. Glad it doesn't seem like a clone of the deathmetal. Not so glad they are $230 and I can't try one out first though. Especially after the hm3 being more preferred to you comment. Can you elaborate on the picky about pickups thing?
I make noise toys under Stomping Stones

oldangelmidnight wrote:This is the classic ILF I love. Emotional highs and lows. Scooped mids in my heart all day long.
Jero

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Pepe » Sat May 06, 2017 11:46 am

Pepe wrote:I don't know if this is a great price, but I haven't seen a LAL 86 for quite some time:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/382073222605

For 139.99 € in Germany. If someone from the US or elsewhere wants it, I can send it too you for a low price. Shipping from Germany isn't expensive.

lordgalvar snagged it. ;)
Pepe at YouTube and Instagram
Pepe

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby Dungus » Sat May 06, 2017 12:26 pm

Alls I wants is a Transroom or other perfect reverb with beautiful modulation ha ha yep.

I cordially invite you to fuck right off and let the rest of us talk about music like adults.- dubkitty
Dungus

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby lordgalvar » Sat May 06, 2017 1:03 pm

Pepe wrote:
Pepe wrote:I don't know if this is a great price, but I haven't seen a LAL 86 for quite some time:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/382073222605

For 139.99 € in Germany. If someone from the US or elsewhere wants it, I can send it too you for a low price. Shipping from Germany isn't expensive.

lordgalvar snagged it. ;)

I'm noticing changes! Something to look into!

Jero wrote:
lordgalvar wrote:Devil tail is like a more open sounding DOD death metal with EQ (and osc at high gain but wouldn't call it osc like the 88 or something). The DOD is more compressed and "that sound"...LAL is way more versitile but more picky about pickups. I wouldn't call it my go to high gain drive...Probably would prefer boss hm-3 or something but I love it! Should get it out more. I think Angel Ring + devil tail would actually be pretty badass but it has been a long time since I've done that.

I always wondered how those two compared. Glad it doesn't seem like a clone of the deathmetal. Not so glad they are $230 and I can't try one out first though. Especially after the hm3 being more preferred to you comment. Can you elaborate on the picky about pickups thing?

I play a mosrite most of the time and those pickups are kinda weird/high output for the time. I though it sounded a little thin with the devil tail (not trebley...because I would have loved that, but over saturated). Death metal sounded like death metal. Also, solid state amp and I use maybe two pedals at a time (never more than 4...). Kinda picky about responses, roll off and dynamics (I like to make it sound like shit with my playing, not because of impedance mismatch)

As for preferring hm-3 to devil tail...I meant in that high gain amp distortion thing only. I'll take a devil tail always before an hm-3 for most things...hm-3 is just easy, but devil tail has way more uses.
-Ring Mods!
"I make you chocolate"
    -comesect69-via-Majin Buu-by-way-of-Dirge/mtl.asm and special consideration from CA Anderton
lordgalvar

Supporter
Supporter

Postby JonnyAngle » Sun Jun 11, 2017 8:27 am

Does anyone have a cheat sheet for the 88?

I'm really trying to wrap my head around what each switch does but I'm not really getting it. The lalweb isn't very helpful either.
JonnyAngle

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Jwar » Sun Jun 11, 2017 11:09 am

I posted this in Eivind's thread for the 87, but Hirofumi is doing a workshop in Switzerland in October. It's a build workshop, so if you're in that area, I'd seriously consider going. You will be able to build something guided by his amazing ass and he said they will be building something pretty unique. :) So mega bucks down the road I bet guys. I wish I could go, but there's just no fucking way. Hit him up via email and I'm sure he'll over you details.
"I do not have the ability to think rationally 90% of the time and I also change my mind at the drop of a hat".

-JWAR :)
Jwar

Cosmic of BILF
Cosmic of BILF

Postby JonnyAngle » Mon Jun 12, 2017 10:11 am

JonnyAngle wrote:Does anyone have a cheat sheet for the 88?

I'm really trying to wrap my head around what each switch does but I'm not really getting it. The lalweb isn't very helpful either.

Per my discussions with LordGalvar and EivingAugust, my opinion is as such:

1: Bright switch
2: Oscillator
3: voltage sag or gain increase for #2
4: voltage sag or gain increase for #5
5: Oscillator
6: Bass Boost

LAL88
JonnyAngle

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Pepe » Mon Jun 12, 2017 10:42 am

The 88 comes with a manual, but I cannot find one through Google. Has the original manual a few descriptions what each switch does, or is that really for the user to find out?
Pepe at YouTube and Instagram
Pepe

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby JonnyAngle » Mon Jun 12, 2017 12:06 pm

Pepe wrote:The 88 comes with a manual, but I cannot find one through Google. Has the original manual a few descriptions what each switch does, or is that really for the user to find out?

Mine came with a "manual" which was basically what it says online... "different tone settings"
JonnyAngle

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby sostark » Tue Jun 13, 2017 1:05 pm

JonnyAngle wrote:
Per my discussions with LordGalvar and EivingAugust, my opinion is as such:

1: Bright switch
2: Oscillator
3: voltage sag or gain increase for #2
4: voltage sag or gain increase for #5
5: Oscillator
6: Bass Boost

LAL88

This is helpful. I purchased a Csidman based on Eivind's/iRerror video and finally swapped it out for the MASF Possessed (based on a discussion here) and the Super Oscillo 88 about a year later (last month). It was crazy plugging in as the expression jack cut the output all together running it as I have through my other pedals and the setting I was planning on using from the videos (1, 5 and 6 up) was an unusable squeally mess. Fortunately I was able to land on a setting that works with my setup (1, 2 and 5 up) and the expression control works as long as I give it its own jack on my expression pedal. The 88 is super temperamental and wild, and that's why I love it.
sostark

interested
interested

Postby The Eristic » Fri Nov 10, 2017 4:36 am

Cyber Psychic showed up today. Just the fuzz sounds alone are fantastic, haven't really even started messing with the oscillators or expression control yet!

One thing, though. Is it normally really quiet until you get the Pre/Gain controls way up? I'm guessing it's a safety feature of sorts, as oscillators can be dangerous, but I'm not getting close to unity until Pre/Gain hit 2-3 o'clock.
Check out my live guitar streams @ http://www.twitch.tv/the_eristic!
The Eristic

experienced
experienced

Postby UglyCasanova » Fri Nov 10, 2017 6:00 am

Sounds right from what I can remember. Might have to dial it down after you start adding the oscillators. It's been a few years since owned one though. :lol:
UglyCasanova

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Eivind August » Fri Nov 10, 2017 8:19 am

WITNESS ME!

https://irerror.bandcamp.com/

friendship wrote:You motherfuckers think I won't fuck up a couple octoroks and assemble the Triforce?

Deals:
NSFW: show
succor, UncleBBQ, jerms, marco.desan, jwar, robapov, Tom Dalton, Gigahearts_FX, frigid midget, K2000, Tristan, untilshewokeme, backwardsvoyager, Strange Tales, brandsmannen, Ugly Casanova, goroth, Abanoise, Casavettes, multi_s, oldangelmidnight, Jero, Inconuucl, Dungus, christianatl, doralin, Wittgenstein, worra, D.o.S, rfurtkamp, blankfield, sillyfabe
Eivind August

HERO
HERO

Postby UglyCasanova » Fri Nov 10, 2017 8:20 am

UglyCasanova

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby $harkToootth » Fri Nov 10, 2017 10:56 am

Hoping away in the lands of oscillation...
"SWIPE LEFT ASSHOLE!" -retinal orbita
"Whatever ASSHOLE here’s my pedal that makes humpback whale noises and also it has a built in sequencer so stick it in your craw! -retinal orbita
"Patty Mullen takes me from a ball peen to a sledge" -The Great Velvet Hammer
"...at this exact moment Divine has learned of your jealous scheme from the local town gossip. She also has your address, ASS HOLE!" -Narrator (Mr. J) PINK FLAMINGOS
1 bird per post please
$harkToootth

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

PreviousNext

Return to General Gear