bitcrusher pedalz

Moderator: Ghost Hip

Re: bitcrusher pedalz

Postby codetocontra » Mon Dec 25, 2017 4:37 am

That is a pretty weak article. This guy just made a top 9 wish list for bitcrushers he doesn't own or hasn't tried. I could make a list based on watching demos too, but I don't because that would be irrelevant.

OTO Biscuit: Very tweakable but hard to justify the price. I think I might flip mine to fund something else.
Meris Ottobit Jr: Does great sounds but (as previously documented) I had gripes with volume drop at the end of the spectrum, inconsistent knob range, and the way the stutter works.
IE Frantabit: Pretty wild crushing, not your typical bitcrusher. Only tried on briefly at ILFMW, didn't have the sound I was searching for but impressed on doing it's own thing.
BitQuest: Not deep or complex. Didn't sound good with a drum machine.

A few people around here that have the Scrutator and love them, but I haven't tried it yet. I like the price and availability.

Bitmap doesn't get mentioned often and not sure why.
codetocontra

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby comesect2.0 » Mon Dec 25, 2017 5:09 am

could not stand the carrier frequency of my frantabit, that was like 7 yrs ago, so idk things may have changed, but it was fun...buying bit crushers were my first introduction to pedals. thought they would take me somewhere.. or do something, didnt have a clue... all I know is I wanted to move from acoustic noise to amplified harmony..stringing cat littler containers together with bells in them didnt work for long....so,
the ottobit and hexe look to be supreme....after I couldnt find a bitcrusher that I could stand, I gave up and bought a distortion pedal and a looper for my second introduction to pedals ...just buy a possessed. idk...fuck me right. merry fuckin christmas.
comesect2.0

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby bigchiefbc » Mon Dec 25, 2017 10:37 am

Definitely want a full-on bitcrusher and not just SRR, I've done that dance before. Ottobit and Scrutator look cool. The Bitquest has a crusher mode I see, but I'm not really interested in the other 8 million things it does. I remember being turned off by the Franta, but I don't remember why and may have to check it out again.
Buy my gear! viewtopic.php?f=44&t=58763

Achtane wrote:I can hit it with a Blowing Up and it'll just sound awesome instead of like capacitors farting into each others' dicks.

Achtane wrote:
last.fm wrote:Zs makes music that is variously categorized as no-wave, post-jazz, brutal-chamber, brutal-prog, and post minimalist.

srsly?

Fuck you.
bigchiefbc

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby goroth » Mon Dec 25, 2017 3:55 pm

The SRR is far superior to the bit crusher on the BQ. But, if you want industrial trashed fucking distortion then the dirty side of the BQ with some crushing is in fact crushing. But it's definitely limited. I would not get it for a bit crusher only.
ALLisNOISE wrote:you can dial in some wonderfully smeared 12bit cascades of cicadas leveling a hail of rockets against an army of rusty box fans!

Latest album out on all streaming services and bandcamp and what not.
Spotify /// Apple Music
My band /// Instagram ///Bandcamp ///
goroth

HERO
HERO

Postby ck3 » Wed Oct 21, 2020 11:00 pm

Had some time to tinker with a newly-arrived EHX Mainframe last weekend. It seems to cover similar textural territory to a Malekko Scrutator with additional features like "smart" sample rate tracking, one preset, and higher output without clipping. The buffered bypass may be a bit of a bummer for anyone wanting to feed it into germanium dirt. More tweaking will be necessary to fully appreciate its awesomeness.
ck3

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby pigmaker » Thu Oct 22, 2020 12:39 am

wow blast from the past.

this is a funny coincidence, as i was talking to my musician friend this afternoon about using bitcrusher pedals with guitars.
i havent even thought about bitcrusher pedals for months or even years until today.
i think that sometimes coincidences arent actually coincidences.

i never dug it with guitar. it wasn't practical for me. i liked the idea more than the reality.

i had a frantabit and something else which i can't remember. the frantabit sounded great, i just didnt have a use for it.

but i have been on the lookout for a dr scientist bitquest for a little over a year. the only thing i want it for is to run it on the loop of an analog delay.
that would be filthy sick ass.
and also completely indulgent, over the top.
http://mathewriley.com
Want:; EFE Dope Priest Particle Series '77/Standard .... Malekko ID-600 Bright or Dark

good deals with: shikawkee, worra, chatmatt, Brobee, behndy, fever606, space6oy, V___, crayola64, emanux, Chaosmic, hbombgraphics

This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 500 character limit.
pigmaker

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby le lambin » Mon Apr 05, 2021 8:17 pm

So...crushing the bits in pedal form...is Hexe still the fan fave here? I’ve been thinking about the HKA Design Digitizer quite a bit whenever I play...and while cooking, working, sleeping...seems like a really great sounding thing- anyone have first hand experience with one? What about the Roland/Malekko Bitrazer module- seems pretty cool but I haven’t really heard any first hand comments.

And finally, what is the word in the software realm? Any obvious plugins/iOS plugins that are on the shortlist for crushing/reducing/exploding music?
le lambin

committed
committed

Postby niftyprose » Sat Apr 10, 2021 6:43 am

Late to the party as usual. I like bitcrush in theory but never find myself wanting it between the guitar and the amp, where it always seems to be in the way.

Earlier in the thread someone namechecked the AC Noises AMA reverb, the USP of which is that it bitcrushes only the wet signal. That's more like it! I'd also mention the discontinued Dreadbox Sonic Bits, some versions of which seem to be a straightahead digital delay with a bitcrusher on the delay line, and of course the OBNE Dark Star, a DSP reverb with a bitcrush option, again on the wet signal only. Bitcrush for the rest of us.

Fainthearted? Moi?
"She opened the case of my guitar and placed six fingertips to the pick-ups beneath the strings. She made me a tea from the dried orange skins on her fire, and taught me the way of guitar voodoo." -- Jim Carroll, 'The Book Of Nods'
niftyprose

committed
committed

Postby le lambin » Sat Apr 10, 2021 11:29 am

I always thought the bitcrushing effect sounded better on everything except guitar. I think it sounds better when you have higher frequencies fed into it, like a synth or drum machine. Idk I’m sure someone smarter than me can explain it better.
le lambin

committed
committed

Postby friendship » Sat Apr 10, 2021 1:40 pm

how long has this ehx mainframe been out? it looks good.
sound journal

actualidiot wrote:12-bit's almost analog, right?
friendship

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby goroth » Mon Apr 12, 2021 12:05 am

le lambin wrote:I always thought the bitcrushing effect sounded better on everything except guitar. I think it sounds better when you have higher frequencies fed into it, like a synth or drum machine. Idk I’m sure someone smarter than me can explain it better.

Yeah, I don’t really dig bit crushing on guitar. Sample rate reduction on the other hand is great
ALLisNOISE wrote:you can dial in some wonderfully smeared 12bit cascades of cicadas leveling a hail of rockets against an army of rusty box fans!

Latest album out on all streaming services and bandcamp and what not.
Spotify /// Apple Music
My band /// Instagram ///Bandcamp ///
goroth

HERO
HERO

Postby le lambin » Mon Apr 12, 2021 12:39 pm

Mainframe does look cool- I’m a little skeptical about the sound quality because it’s EHX, but maybe I’m just being a snob about it and should try it out and see. I think it came out 6 months ago or so? Maybe a year?
le lambin

committed
committed

Postby Eivind August » Mon Apr 12, 2021 2:06 pm

I got a Mainframe for ILFmas! It is cool. You can get a lot of neat sounds, from slight sample rate reduction to garbled bitcrash. The filter is nice, and the pitch tracking mode is pretty cool. The sound of the pitch tracking can get a bit grating after a while, though, and it tracks somewhat weirdly. As a readily available and fully featured bitcrusher it's great, either way.
https://irerror.bandcamp.com/

friendship wrote:You motherfuckers think I won't fuck up a couple octoroks and assemble the Triforce?

Deals:
NSFW: show
succor, UncleBBQ, jerms, marco.desan, jwar, robapov, Tom Dalton, Gigahearts_FX, frigid midget, K2000, Tristan, untilshewokeme, backwardsvoyager, Strange Tales, brandsmannen, Ugly Casanova, goroth, Abanoise, Casavettes, multi_s, oldangelmidnight, Jero, Inconuucl, Dungus, christianatl, doralin, Wittgenstein, worra, D.o.S, rfurtkamp, blankfield, sillyfabe
Eivind August

HERO
HERO

Postby friendship » Tue Apr 13, 2021 12:27 pm

Nice! I'm impressed that at max it's 48khz/24 bit.
sound journal

actualidiot wrote:12-bit's almost analog, right?
friendship

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby qersty » Tue Apr 13, 2021 12:56 pm

every time i play a bitcrusher/samplerate reducer on guitar i just think it sounds like broken and feel gross
imagine finding out your son is your daughter & she's into noise music
qersty

IAMILF
IAMILF

PreviousNext

Return to General Gear