· Gen · Guit · · Bldrs · B/S/T ·

Switch to full style
General Gear Discussion - effects, synths, etc.
Post a reply

Re: Can we talk about modular synths?

Sun Aug 25, 2019 8:37 pm

The MME and the MME expand don’t match. That even bothers me.

Sun Aug 25, 2019 10:26 pm

lol. i have 3 TwoHp VCA's, and one is a different color.

annnnnnd i ordered at the same time.

not their fault, things vary. but BLRURHGRHDHSGHHH.

Sun Aug 25, 2019 10:36 pm

Embrace the chaos, Behndy!

Sun Aug 25, 2019 10:39 pm

NEVER.

my house needs to be in ORDER.

moof. i'm trying to have a at least quarter/half pre-wired synth. something i can sit down to and go without patching more than outputs to mixer inputs. then room to EXPAND.

CHAOS. MUST. BE. TAMED.

like a sexy little obedient avocado.

Mon Aug 26, 2019 3:06 pm

You should probably get a Buchla, all of the panels match

Mon Aug 26, 2019 3:15 pm

NEVER!

lol. i mean. i don't think so? i'm super happy with euro loots. Buchla. doesn't have as many options right?

mannnnn i am IMPATIENT for that Pulsar. i hope he meant early September. and i reallllly hope i'm near the top of the pre-order list.

Mon Aug 26, 2019 9:56 pm

After a lot of deliberation, I've decided to cancel my Matriarch preorder and put the money towards a small percussion-based system.

Probably gonna go with an Intellijel Palette case to keep things compact and make it a hybrid Intellijel/ALM/Mannequins rack. I'm thinking of using Squid Salmple as the main sound generator with PNW, Steppy, and Scales doing the sequencing. Three Sisters for filtering, Cold Mac and Quadratt for utilities, and Mixup as the mixer. Does this sound like a dumb system to anyone?

Tue Aug 27, 2019 1:07 am

so. i mean. yeah. that sounds cool. and i LOOOOOVE Pam's.

but. a Pam's, Steppy and Scales is almooooost the size of a Metron.

and.

you know.

BOSS.

Tue Aug 27, 2019 10:27 am

Metron is just so much hp for the Palette! I'd only have 5hp left after the Squid Salmple.

My thinking is PNW can do Euclidean patterns and modulation, Steppy does basic on-the-grid patterns, and Scales allows for some pitched elements.
I'm least attached to Scales but I would like a pitched element in the rack.

Tue Aug 27, 2019 11:29 am

I think that's a fine setup for a mini case. If you're going purely for a groovebox, a compressor will do wonders for your sound. I really like the SSF Autodyne after the Squid. It makes everything so punchy and gives it a layer of grit on top.

Tue Aug 27, 2019 11:46 am

lol. i was sort of joking. MAYBE. MWHAHAHAHAHHHH-i just really like the Metron.

Squid looks pimp, i LOVE Pam's, but as a Sequence All The Things she's hard to do occasional repeatable only end of pattern stuff? so Steppy sounds a great compliment. if you could fit an Arpitecht instead of the Scales, i would totes do that. the Scales is cool, but not amazing? the Arpitechtal IS amazebutts so....

but the Pam's gives you loads of tempo-sync'd modulation too. so. win?

Tue Aug 27, 2019 12:30 pm

also, and this seems pretty obvious NOW, but i'm really now just learning that restraint in modulation is..... good. maybe it's coming from pedals where it was amazing to be able to control ONE parameter at a time with a FOOTSWITCH, then having loots that almost every single part can be modulated, by AUTOMATED SOURCES... but. yeah.

really digging a mostly stable setup with drums, Rings and a basic synth patch pre-wired to build off, and so much better to have some restraint when patching control sources.

rambles. i DO.

Tue Aug 27, 2019 5:47 pm

lol. annnnnnd found a Trigger Riot cheap. orderd. for the THIRD TIME.

i have such a lust/frustration relationship with that beautiful piece of kit.

Tue Aug 27, 2019 7:57 pm

So I haven't actually synth'd in awhile, but I've been thinking about my workflow and what I want to be able to do with it lately. Mainly concluded that I still really want to get my hands on a Zadar and X-Pan, but also decided that I'm probably going to get rid of my Planar 2. I just haven't used it as much as I thought I would. I would probably keep it if I had a bigger setup, but it just doesn't make sense in my 4U. Probably going to swap it with some in rack effects. I'm fairly interested in the upcoming Xaoc Timiszoara.

Anyone with a Zadar or X-Pan want to trade for a Planar 2?

Wed Aug 28, 2019 6:53 am

behndy wrote:lol. annnnnnd found a Trigger Riot cheap. orderd. for the THIRD TIME.

i have such a lust/frustration relationship with that beautiful piece of kit.

You crazy for this 1.

I do not need to extol Trigger Riot any more but I wish you luck on your endeavor. The Riot should complement the Metron nicely to get some poly-rhythmic bang downs going. I don't know exactly what Metron does, it turns out.

How do you plan to use Metron + Trigger Riot together, if at all?

I just now purchased an Elektron Analog Four mk1 to use with my modular synthesizer. I plan to use it in the following manner: synthesizer lines and pads + sync those lines to rack drums tempo. I plan to rearrange 208 hp as a sick drumbox and rock A4 plus 208 hp of sick drumbox as a set-up for a bit.

I plan to spend my down-time at work on Modular Grid arranging a sick 208 hp drumbox with many of my fine drum modules and probably also the Erbe-Verb. When I have completed this exercise, I will post the sick 208 hp drumbox here in case anyone wants to evaluate my decisions.

Happy Wednesday!
Post a reply