Can we talk about modular synths?

Moderator: Ghost Hip

Re: Can we talk about modular synths?

Postby kbit » Sun Oct 21, 2018 10:52 pm

oscillateur wrote:

Also, the next batch of Teletypes will have a small hardware upgrade that won't change anything for most people but would have made my life easier : better handling of current consumption from the USB port, so that backlit keyboards for example will have less chances of crashing TT (happened to me, had to change the keyboard) and I think more i2c connectors on the back. I got a small board for that but it's nice not to need it. I might be misremembering one of tehn's posts though, better to double check...

I thought I read something along those lines, too... Def interested in more i2c connections. With scannerdarkly developing so many cool apps I can definitely see myself with a second Ansible in the future and that would be handy...

Also, Yeats, I HIGHLY recommend putting Three Sisters through it's paces in full before passing judgement on it. It is one if my most used modules (I have two) but I don't often use it as a straight up LPF... Variable bandpass filter, "spectral mixing" with multiple inputs, pinging/resonator, FM carrier, chord generator... so many cool things.

Not trying to telp you how you should use your modules just encouraging you to dig into it. Definitely read the manual twice and try out the examples listed, especially the 2 operator FM patch :love:
D.o.S. wrote:I'm fucking stupid and no one should operate under any other premise.
kbit

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Dark Barn » Mon Oct 22, 2018 12:10 am

behndy wrote:well butt butts. didn't mean to throw salt in your game Dark Barnstormer. just thought since the 3 Sistahs is pretty unique for a filter, some hands on might be nice before diving into one.

lol. but then YEastY offered a borrow of the Crazy Eights so. YEAH.

...... if i dig the 8 as much as i think i will, i'm down to swap permanently if Yeast Yankins is into it.

Oh no my dude! Not at ALL, I’m not upset one tiny bit. I’ve bought and sold (and rebought) a few Mannequins modules and I think they’ve all sold pretty darn quick. I might not even sell mine, so I’m glad the wheel is still spinning and not waiting on me to make up my mind on anything!
I've been searchin' for the dolphins in the sea.

The Weak in Review: Weak Arguments Revue
Dark Barn

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby behndy » Mon Oct 22, 2018 12:52 am

lol. CLIMB THE WHEEL. LIVE BY IT. DIEEEEE BY IIIIIIT.

moof. GOOD. never want to dick hand friendly human peoples.

also, not really digging the Coherence. what it does is cool enough, but not for the price or the hp. i like the DU-RDT wayyyyyy more.

dilemma is to send it back for a refund (Perfect Circuit purchase), send it back for an AJH Wave Swarm, or send it back for an Ezekiel reverb doober.
Eric! wrote:YOU'RE like having two pedals in one
with your...momentary fuck switch and all..

theactionindex wrote:QUADRACOCK BEHNDERFUCK

music, videos, in progress - http://www.youtube.com/c/behndy
https://bloodpartyband.bandcamp.com/alb ... e-computer

Imageokay, Plan B - PANICImage
behndy

Supporter
Supporter

Postby oscillateur » Mon Oct 22, 2018 4:35 am

Dark Barn wrote:
yeatsvisitslincoln wrote:HOLY FUCK YOU GUYS. I got my Dual Borg in today and it's a god damn beast. I had the Filter 8 in a couple months ago and was excited, but it wore off quickly. It's good, sure. But the Dual Borg just blows it out of the water for me. I guess there's something to be said for the classic architectures it's based off of.

This post convinced me to watch some demos, and finally saw a used one posted for a nice price and jumped on it. If I fall in love it will replace my Three Sisters and uVCF (had two uVCF so have been looking to ditch this anyways!)

Just in case, tell me if you want to trade your 3 Sisters for a Basimilus Iteritas Alter... :hello:
oscillateur

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby oscillateur » Mon Oct 22, 2018 5:25 am

PSA : for people who have or are interested in Teletype : bpcmusic is finalizing a new run of his Txi and Txo Teletype expanders. The Txi adds 4 knobs and 4 cv inputs, the Txo adds 4 gates and 4 CV outputs (and each output can have its own metronome, work as an envelope or LFO/oscillator with some waweshaping, etc.). Each is 4HP.

There's only been 2 runs of these things so far, this is the third and it takes him a lot of time and effort to make these so they will likely not be available again for a while. It's all open source/hardware so for people with both time and skills you can potentially make your own but for normal people like me and probably you this is the only way to get these things.

Go to his website and register your interest to get a mail when they become available. He'll also warn people on lines first (because this is very much a community thing and that guy is a great part of it).

He's also made a batch of Txn this time (2HP sterero mixer with fixed panning, a smaller version of the excellent Nearness module that also originated on lines).
oscillateur

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby Inconuucl » Mon Oct 22, 2018 8:22 am

Are there any other grid controllers for modular that are not Monome? I feel that their insistence of only using white light over complicates things. Maybe clever midi and a launchpad pro?
Le Ciel Inconnu (I was a whale once.)
NSFW: show
Chankgeez wrote:We should have a game show à la Name That Tune

Inconuucl: I can shoegaze that tune with 5 pedals.
other contestant: I can shoegaze that tune with 4 pedals.
Inconuucl: I can shoegaze that tune with 3 pedals.
other contestant: OK, shoegaze that tune!
Inconuucl: :!!!:
Inconuucl

Supporter
Supporter

Postby yeatsvisitslincoln » Mon Oct 22, 2018 9:20 am

There is the Polyend Seq, but I think that's also white light? Ruiner has one and might be able to comment if he sees this.
yeatsvisitslincoln

committed
committed

Postby behndy » Mon Oct 22, 2018 11:23 am

Deluge! ALL THE PRETTY MULTI-COLORED LIGHTS!

i played with someone rocking a Seq. fucking BEAUTIFUL. and still kinda want one. but.... it's the same price as the Deluge i think, and D-Diggles is a sampler, synth engine, has 2 CV and 4 gates out without an expander..... dunno man. LOVE mines.

behndy

Supporter
Supporter

Postby Dark Barn » Mon Oct 22, 2018 10:25 pm

oscillateur wrote: Just in case, tell me if you want to trade your 3 Sisters for a Basimilus Iteritas Alter... :hello:

Maybe just maybe? I’ve owned a BIA once before and have been low-key thinking about adding a drum module, but I would have to find something else to get rid of, which is ruff.
I've been searchin' for the dolphins in the sea.

The Weak in Review: Weak Arguments Revue
Dark Barn

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby Ruiner » Mon Oct 22, 2018 11:07 pm

Yeah I have a Polyend SEQ and love it for its simplicity. Yes, white lights. Bunch of new firmware updates (beta testing one now) and the updates are making it even better. Grids is pretty different though
Ruiner

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby oscillateur » Tue Oct 23, 2018 3:55 am

Dark Barn wrote:
oscillateur wrote: Just in case, tell me if you want to trade your 3 Sisters for a Basimilus Iteritas Alter... :hello:

Maybe just maybe? I’ve owned a BIA once before and have been low-key thinking about adding a drum module, but I would have to find something else to get rid of, which is ruff.

3 Sisters and BIA are both 10 HP ;)
oscillateur

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby yeatsvisitslincoln » Tue Oct 23, 2018 11:30 am

But Dual Borg is 14hp...
yeatsvisitslincoln

committed
committed

Postby behndy » Tue Oct 23, 2018 2:51 pm

whyyyyy are Muffs Peoples always so slow to respond to pm's? was trying to grab a used Double Borkins, but it's been 3 days since i got at one dooder and fuck it. with the points i had ended up about $70 more to buy a new one from DetMod. so. like. ordered.

and shit.

behndy

Supporter
Supporter

Postby baremountain » Thu Oct 25, 2018 1:32 pm

behndy wrote:whyyyyy are Muffs Peoples always so slow to respond to pm's? was trying to grab a used Double Borkins, but it's been 3 days since i got at one dooder and fuck it. with the points i had ended up about $70 more to buy a new one from DetMod. so. like. ordered.

lmao same shit happened to me when I tried to buy off Muffs a while back. As I was typing this I realized I had been sitting on 2 unreplied DMs though so I guess it's not just muff peeps :lol:

Also after spending a lot of time with Rene and the new Tempi update I have gone from *very into this* to *oh shit maybe this is ~too~ much* to *absolutely in love*.
During that middle state, I was struggling for a while trying to make something that sounded like it wasn't completely random across the three voices (I am much more into twisting the knobs until it sounds nice vs planning every step of the sequence based of a preconceived idea of what I'm going for). The other day, though, Make Noise posted a nice cheat code video on their insta where they took a sequence and scanned it over to another voice, then let those 2 run off different snake patterns. I had my own go with this and the gratification came instantly.
I've had a patch running for 2 days now where the X & C channels are the same sequence (each goes to one side of the DPO). I'm using the Sawtooth of the left channel and the Final of the right with different gate patterns triggering their respective envelopes, while the sine output of the right channel plays steadily, yet quietly, in the background. From there I set all the steps of the Y channel to the lowest value, and I'm sending stepped voltage from the Wogglebug into the Y CV (function set to Add), so it quantizes the random voltage, which controls Plaits pitch. This is all on a very slow clock, and is processed through ErbeVerb set to a very long pre-delay, which goes near self-oscillation. Absolute magic.
I'll post a clip some time soon, because this thing is totally gorgeous and tonal, but so close to dissonant the entire time that it gives me goosebumps.
Inner Vegas wrote:I don't think anyone is Obama

#wheresthebirthcertificate #obamahoax

solo tunes:
completed works || loosey goosey releases
associated acts:
Raab Zamboni (fake jazz/real noise//sax, modular synth, editing, misc) || Field Guide (my best friends//sax on 2 tracks)

I make t-shirts, patches, koozies, buttons, CDs, sometimes tapes, and eventually i'll start working on pedals again. DM me for pricing!
baremountain

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby behndy » Thu Oct 25, 2018 4:42 pm

that's awesome. so goooood finding joy in setups.

i just for the first time evah made some patterns with the FLXS using the second CV out. holy BUTTS. so damn good.

also, instant lurv with the Filter 8 on loan from Beasty Yeasty.

behndy

Supporter
Supporter

PreviousNext

Return to General Gear